Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Power Steering, Alternator...where is problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 08:16 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering, Alternator...where is problem

99Z28 manual...started scraping when turning, PS fluid was low, added some-3times. Suddenly, battery started discharging and died. Suspected alternator, replaced it, still won't start. battery drained & doesn't seem to charge...charged a tiny bit, but won't continue to run without jumpers attached to another car.

Were both alternators bad? Also, does this model have more wiring from its alternator to somewhere else? two people suggested i had not attached the "wire"--Obviously that big main plug was attached.

You can see, i adore my ride, but i am clueless about repairs...help? please?
Old 05-26-2012, 08:21 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only thing I know that would connect PS and alternator problems would be the belt. Have someone look at the belt while you turn the wheels and put a load on the PS pump. If the belt is not loose and slipping than they two should not have a common problem.

If you have 2 different problems than you need to check both. If the PS fluid (helpful stuff) fixed the PS problem than you need to go to a local auto parts store and have them check the alternator output while the car is idling. Most will do that for free. Bad alternator? than replace it.

They also can do a simple check for battery drain with the key off with a multimeter. If you have a drain than you need to take it to a dealer to chase the short/drain.

Perry

Quick Reply: Power Steering, Alternator...where is problem