Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Would like feedback on current fuel system..

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 12:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Would like feedback on current fuel system..

Heres the story, I got a 67 Camaro when I was 21 years old for my B-day, (I bought it for myself, nothing free to this guy...)

It is a 1967 Camaro and was in pretty rough condition, it now looks like a Pro Street racecar, and I have invested 100s of hours into this machine..

My issue:
Everything works perfectly except my fuel system, I have a 32 gallon circle track fuel cell with a right rear pickup tube, well you can probably imagine the issue when I am turning right when the tank is 1/4 or lower, the reason for this is that the pump (Aeromotive A1000) is mounted inside the tank about halfway up the tank therefore I start to suck air and obviously start to lean out, adn since I am boosting 16psi through a ProCharger, I dont want to damage the motor I built myself with all the good parts inside!!

The fuel tank is a poly cell with a sheetmetal casing bought through summit racing.

My options:

Option #1
My ideal fix would to be to mount the pump inside the tank, the advantages are that it will be quieter and run much cooler since these pumps tend to build heat quickly when running at 100% duty cycle (I have a controller for that so it wont run 100% at all times).
Problem with this is I dont know how I can secure the pimp inside the tank and also I dont know how I would be able to baffle it so the pump always has available fuel, since it would still have the same issue on hard RH corners as before not doing any good as far as sucking air..

Option #2
I could also build a surge tank for it which I already built but still really want to try to run it in tank.

Option #3
Build a new fuel tank with baffles and mounting bosses for the pump itself, however this is the most expensive option, I do have a sheet of 1/4" 5052 Aluminum that I can use, probably a bit overkill as far as thickness goes, but it would work fine, and I dont need to make the tank quite as large as the stock one either, I would like to have at least 25 gallons for longer trips...

Here are some pics of the current setup as it is obvious that the pump mounting is far from ideal, put Aeromotive actually told me that the that the pump might work in that placement, but that it is best to mount it lower id possible, due to space constraints that where it ended up...

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Quick Reply: Would like feedback on current fuel system..