Go Back   LS1TECH > VEHICLE SPECIFIC FORUMS > Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans
Sponsored by
KEISLER Engineering
Click Here

LQ Motor or LS1

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-09-2012, 01:29 AM   #1
10 Second Club
Garage is empty, add now
 
1_MEANZ28's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 4
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 449
Default LQ Motor or LS1

i curently have a 99 ls1 z28 a4,very nice and clean bonestock.runs and drives great.the only downside would be that it has 236k miles..the motor and tranny are strong.ivd raced a coulpe buddies with low milage ls1 cars (one of them a 01 z28..60k miles) and have beat them,therefore i know the car is not underpowerd,and yes it beats stangs ...my questin is in the feature ,when motor goes out, is it worth rebuilding ls1 motor? i was thinking going lq4/9.but ivd seen that with an ls1 u can get the same results powerwise.or am i wrong ?
any input is appricated.thanks for reading
1_MEANZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 01:33 AM   #2
TECH Senior Member
Garage is empty, add now
 
lemons12's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 70
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Winchester, TN
Posts: 10,907
Default

The nice part about the 4" bore motors is the option to switch to a rectangular head if that is a route you would want/need to take for whatever reasons.

I went with an lq9 based 370 for that reason, great bang for the buck. You add weight with the iron motors but for the money I saved and the power I can make, it was worth it to me.
__________________
SLOTH RACING
RAPE EVERYTHING
Ws6 A3 370 S480
lemons12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 01:50 AM   #3
10 Second Club
Garage is empty, add now
 
1_MEANZ28's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 4
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 449
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemons12 View Post
The nice part about the 4" bore motors is the option to switch to a rectangular head if that is a route you would want/need to take for whatever reasons.

I went with an lq9 based 370 for that reason, great bang for the buck. You add weight with the iron motors but for the money I saved and the power I can make, it was worth it to me.
that is very true,ill take a look of ur build thread,thir selling me a 6.0 motor not sure if lq4/9,it has the 4l80 hooked up.they want 1200 for every thing complete motor and all accesories..not sure of the miles.
1_MEANZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 01:58 AM   #4
TECH Senior Member
Garage is empty, add now
 
lemons12's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 70
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Winchester, TN
Posts: 10,907
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_MEANZ28 View Post
that is very true,ill take a look of ur build thread,thir selling me a 6.0 motor not sure if lq4/9,it has the 4l80 hooked up.they want 1200 for every thing complete motor and all accesories..not sure of the miles.
That could potentially be a very good deal.

Personally, I would only get an lq motor if it was an lq9, the added compression will help greatly... Especially if you plan on going the l92 top end route (it already hurts the low end because of valve size). Lq4 is more suited for boosted applications.

Also, I would shoot for an 04-06... They have the floating wrist pins/better rods. Just a little bit more added strength.

My build is a 370 (forged motor using stock lq9/4 block and stock crank... I will have a lot more compression than you would be able to make and all the internals are forged (less the crank). However, you could do a similar build with an lq9 with great results using the l92 top end.

I would recommend throwing some Katech rods bolts (they don't need resizing) in just for added safety... It isn't that hard or expensive, no reason not to.
__________________
SLOTH RACING
RAPE EVERYTHING
Ws6 A3 370 S480
lemons12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 03:23 AM   #5
10 Second Club
Garage is empty, add now
 
1_MEANZ28's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 4
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 449
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemons12 View Post
That could potentially be a very good deal.

Personally, I would only get an lq motor if it was an lq9, the added compression will help greatly... Especially if you plan on going the l92 top end route (it already hurts the low end because of valve size). Lq4 is more suited for boosted applications.

Also, I would shoot for an 04-06... They have the floating wrist pins/better rods. Just a little bit more added strength.

My build is a 370 (forged motor using stock lq9/4 block and stock crank... I will have a lot more compression than you would be able to make and all the internals are forged (less the crank). However, you could do a similar build with an lq9 with great results using the l92 top end.

I would recommend throwing some Katech rods bolts (they don't need resizing) in just for added safety... It isn't that hard or expensive, no reason not to.
o okay great hearing these things i belive the motor was out of a 03.i was also conidering 408 with that block,since it has the 4l80 im a asuming it would be a nice combo for an auto.(assuming tranny works)
1_MEANZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 03:23 AM
LS1Tech
Pontiac Firebird




Paid Advertisement
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
hood fitment issues. 99Wu8Tx Paint & Body Work 7 01-17-2015 11:59 AM
10mm spark plug wires ? Good or bad 1_MEANZ28 LT1-LT4 Modifications 5 10-02-2013 09:30 AM
DragMania at Ennis May 25th and 26th RocitSS Texas Members 1 05-15-2013 07:38 PM
Help with AXELS!!!!! 1_MEANZ28 Gears & Axles 12 10-21-2012 10:28 PM
Bbc Mark Iv - Hydro Roller Cam - What Is To Do? hannes_slanec Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific 12 12-18-2007 09:51 AM


Tags
99, car, chevy, lq, lq9, lq9lq, ls1, motor, motors, parts, put, strength, weight, wikipedia, wwwlq


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



Join Ls1Tech

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 AC1
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Advertising - Terms of Service - Privacy Statement - JOBS
Emails & Contact Details