Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

LQ Motor or LS1

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 01:29 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LQ Motor or LS1

i curently have a 99 ls1 z28 a4,very nice and clean bonestock.runs and drives great.the only downside would be that it has 236k miles..the motor and tranny are strong.ivd raced a coulpe buddies with low milage ls1 cars (one of them a 01 z28..60k miles) and have beat them,therefore i know the car is not underpowerd,and yes it beats stangs ...my questin is in the feature ,when motor goes out, is it worth rebuilding ls1 motor? i was thinking going lq4/9.but ivd seen that with an ls1 u can get the same results powerwise.or am i wrong ?
any input is appricated.thanks for reading
Old 07-09-2012, 01:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The nice part about the 4" bore motors is the option to switch to a rectangular head if that is a route you would want/need to take for whatever reasons.

I went with an lq9 based 370 for that reason, great bang for the buck. You add weight with the iron motors but for the money I saved and the power I can make, it was worth it to me.
Old 07-09-2012, 01:50 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by lemons12
The nice part about the 4" bore motors is the option to switch to a rectangular head if that is a route you would want/need to take for whatever reasons.

I went with an lq9 based 370 for that reason, great bang for the buck. You add weight with the iron motors but for the money I saved and the power I can make, it was worth it to me.
that is very true,ill take a look of ur build thread,thir selling me a 6.0 motor not sure if lq4/9,it has the 4l80 hooked up.they want 1200 for every thing complete motor and all accesories..not sure of the miles.
Old 07-09-2012, 01:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1_MEANZ28
that is very true,ill take a look of ur build thread,thir selling me a 6.0 motor not sure if lq4/9,it has the 4l80 hooked up.they want 1200 for every thing complete motor and all accesories..not sure of the miles.
That could potentially be a very good deal.

Personally, I would only get an lq motor if it was an lq9, the added compression will help greatly... Especially if you plan on going the l92 top end route (it already hurts the low end because of valve size). Lq4 is more suited for boosted applications.

Also, I would shoot for an 04-06... They have the floating wrist pins/better rods. Just a little bit more added strength.

My build is a 370 (forged motor using stock lq9/4 block and stock crank... I will have a lot more compression than you would be able to make and all the internals are forged (less the crank). However, you could do a similar build with an lq9 with great results using the l92 top end.

I would recommend throwing some Katech rods bolts (they don't need resizing) in just for added safety... It isn't that hard or expensive, no reason not to.
Old 07-09-2012, 03:23 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by lemons12
That could potentially be a very good deal.

Personally, I would only get an lq motor if it was an lq9, the added compression will help greatly... Especially if you plan on going the l92 top end route (it already hurts the low end because of valve size). Lq4 is more suited for boosted applications.

Also, I would shoot for an 04-06... They have the floating wrist pins/better rods. Just a little bit more added strength.

My build is a 370 (forged motor using stock lq9/4 block and stock crank... I will have a lot more compression than you would be able to make and all the internals are forged (less the crank). However, you could do a similar build with an lq9 with great results using the l92 top end.

I would recommend throwing some Katech rods bolts (they don't need resizing) in just for added safety... It isn't that hard or expensive, no reason not to.
o okay great hearing these things i belive the motor was out of a 03.i was also conidering 408 with that block,since it has the 4l80 im a asuming it would be a nice combo for an auto.(assuming tranny works)

Quick Reply: LQ Motor or LS1