Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

1998 z28 smoke?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 08:13 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 z28 smoke?

I was driving with my friend today in his 98 z28 Camaro. It has longtube headers and other basic mods. The A/c is disconnected ( belt blew off, haven't had the time to fix that yet. ) While driving in LA we hit a bump on the road instantly smoke started coming in the cab , through the A/C vents . Smelt like burnt oil. I told him to shut it off asap we did , I then opened the hood and say seam/ smoke coming from the divers side header area, but could not tell where it was coming from. So I told him to drive to the nearest parking lot so we were not in the road . Parked the car the smoke was gone has not come back drove about another 10 miles on it still no issues

My idea is " the longtube header hit and opened up the header gasket for a few seconds and then closed , since his camaro is lowered.
I am no camaro expert by any means . Ideas would be greatly appreciated.

FYI did the normal checked for leaks drips lost of oil or coolant nothing not even a drop..
Old 08-05-2012, 02:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You sure it wasn't a pothole with water in it?
Old 08-05-2012, 08:30 AM
Staging Lane

check all the fluids and see if hes low on anything. The only time ive ever had smoke come through the vents was from a heater core but it wasnt smoking under the hood. Like 6898camaross said, it mightve been a pothole with water. thatll do it. also check and see if something was burning on the headers.
Old 08-06-2012, 01:04 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by white99ta!!
check all the fluids and see if hes low on anything. The only time ive ever had smoke come through the vents was from a heater core but it wasnt smoking under the hood. Like 6898camaross said, it mightve been a pothole with water. thatll do it. also check and see if something was burning on the headers.
interesting you said heater core, what caused that to happen ? does the Camaro have a weak cabin filter if any? Drove it again today no problems what so ever
Old 08-06-2012, 02:59 AM
Staging Lane

Sometimes when heater cores go bad smoke comes out of the vents but i think thats only when you have the blower running. I was just throwing stuff out there and after reading it again i dont think thats the issue unless you smell coolant, see or feel fluid on the carpet under the floor mats or have some slimy film on the windshield

Quick Reply: 1998 z28 smoke?