Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Picked up my new 01' Camaro SS

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 10:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well it started a couple of years ago, but it is active still today. The majority of the thread's content has been in the last year since I got it back.
Old 09-12-2014, 05:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Getting it tuned today. Any guesses on the numbers it'll make?
Old 09-12-2014, 01:51 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 97_ek
Getting it tuned today. Any guesses on the numbers it'll make?
Based on your sig, im going to take a guess at around 460rwhp at the wheels. Dont know much about the cam your running, so please dont ve offended if i came in way low there or anything. What do you figure it'll do?
Old 09-12-2014, 04:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

I was estimated 450/430ish, but we were both close. Here is the graph.

URL=http://s1264.photobucket.com/user/davidk72008/media/20140912_152847_zpswwcc5zea.jpg.html][/URL]
Old 09-13-2014, 10:51 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Awesome! THats my goals as well
Old 09-14-2014, 03:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

I took it to Steel Friday night to make a few passes while a couple of my buddies from work were up there. I was still on my NT555 street tires (not the drag radial version). These are 3 tenths faster than my previous fastest time on street tires with the LS1 setup, so I was satisfied. I was shooting for 12.5s.

MPH was lower than I thought it should be, but I had a passenger on all three runs. My friends' cars were also running 2 to 3 MPH slower than usual too though, so I don't feel too bad.

First slip I was racing my buddies 09 Z06 (stock with tires), second I was racing another buddies cammed/exhaust 12' Camaro SS, and third I was racing the Z06 again. He pulled me on the big end and beat me. I was ahead through 3rd gear.

Anyways, here they are as I ran in order from left to right. I was left lane in the first two and right lane in the last one.

Last edited by 97_ek; 09-14-2014 at 08:06 PM.
Old 09-16-2014, 11:43 AM
TECH Resident

I really think you could break into the 11's....we were close on the dyno numbers though...very nice man.
Old 09-17-2014, 05:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

Once I get a tire I know Ill be in the 11s. I ran an 11.78 on the ls1 setup. Shooting for 11.5s with this setup on a slick. Thanks man
Old 10-14-2014, 10:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

I got my new stainless 1-7/8 headers and y-pipe from TSP put on this weekend with a magnaflow 14419 bullet welded to the y-pipe. It sounds like it did the first time I owned the car, which is deafening, but sounds awesome. I have another dynomax bullet to put after the rear axle to quieten it down some once I can get it to the exhaust shop. I had to weld the magnaflow on there which wasn't beautiful, but it doesn't leak and its also not the worst I've ever seen.

For the record, if anyone here ever buys and installs TSP headers and y-pipe, here are some tips for getting them installed. BE SURE, to leave the header bolts loose enough for the headers to move around some. This is the only way I could get the y-pipe aligned correctly. Once I had the y-pipe slid together loosely where it needed to be, I tightened the header bolts, then tightened the clamps. I fought with the y-pipe for AT LEAST 5 hours Sunday trying to get it to work. In my opinion, TSP should send their y-pipe fully welded instead of in 4 sections with clamps. It would make installation so much easier. Here's some pics of what I took off and the new stuff. Slowly but surely, this thing is getting all of the crappy parts replaced, and I'm getting it closer to where I want it to be

[img][/img]

[img][/img][img]

[/img]
Old 10-26-2014, 08:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

New mods happening this week. Any guesses?

Last edited by 97_ek; 10-29-2014 at 07:32 PM.
Old 11-05-2014, 05:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

So to answer my previous post, I am repainting my rear bumper and tail panel. I'm also adding a CME. I finished painting my bumper, CME valance, and tail panel last night. This is my first paint project on an exterior body part for a car, so I'm pretty excited with the outcome so far. Outside of a couple of runs the paint laid down great. I will try to get the black trunk stripe finished up this week, and then I will reassemble everything to see if the quarter panel is going to have to be blended.

I will never use a cheap gun to spray with again I don't think. I used a friends Anest Iwata gun to spray all this, and it is unbelivable the difference between it and my cheap Kobalt HVLP. I'm not saying good results can't be done with a cheaper gun, but the saying,"you get what you paid for" definitely holds true in this case it seems.

Snap shot of the Berger panel

[img][/img]
Old 11-08-2014, 04:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

I got the trunk lid/stripe wetsanded and buffed today, and I think it turned out really nice. I haven't had a chance to wetsand or buff the tailpanel or bumper yet, but I tested the tailpanel out today to check the color match. I actually think it will match close enough without having to blend it on the quarters. I'm pleased with it.

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]
Old 11-09-2014, 10:00 PM

love the car dude, i subscribed to this thread, i am looking forward to seeing the rest of this, i have an 02 slp ss, so mine came with the cme, but with different tips, i will be installing long tubes and a y pipe this week or next

Old 11-10-2014, 05:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

Nice man, IMO the center mount kind of set these cars apart. What kind of wheels are those on yours? Thanks for the subscription. Its always fun to get feedback from people
Old 11-10-2014, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by 97_ek
Nice man, IMO the center mount kind of set these cars apart. What kind of wheels are those on yours? Thanks for the subscription. Its always fun to get feedback from people

thanks, and i agree it gives it a unique look to it i guess. and i honestly don't know what they are, they are missing the hubcaps, I bought the car with them, I took them to america's tire and they said they think they are out of production. I am going to my local tire shop see if they can find a set of hubcaps for them and then i'll repaint them to black, since they are scratched up a bit. if not, i have a set of 02 ss wheels and paint them to black. Love the car man and keep up the good work!
Old 11-13-2014, 05:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

I got the bumper on and wetsanded/buffed out last night. I'm ordering new mufflers today, and ill go get my exhaust finished up when those come in. I did notice one run/sag in the bumper I still need to remove, but its gonna have to wait a little bit. Almost done.

[img][/img]

[img][/img]
Old 11-13-2014, 10:04 PM

looking good man
Old 11-20-2014, 05:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

All done! The new exhaust setup sounds nice. Deep, but not too loud. No rasp. It has one 3"x4"x14" round magnaflow in the i-pipe and 2 2.5"x5"x14" round Magnaflows in the back. I'm pleased with the way this project turned out being my first time doing something like this. Its definitely not perfect, but its satisfying.

I think I will put some black letters in the "Camaro" and maybe ill tint the tails. Thoughts on black tips to match, or leave them satin?

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]
Old 11-22-2014, 08:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Great looking build and car! I am in Birmingham, next time you all go to Steele let me know. I would love to meet up with some local guys and get some runs in.
Old 11-24-2014, 06:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Jtm2085
Great looking build and car! I am in Birmingham, next time you all go to Steele let me know. I would love to meet up with some local guys and get some runs in.

Will do. I am just outside of Birmingham now. I moved back down this way in January.

Little bit more progress on the car yesterday. I ordered the black "Camaro" inserts for the tailpanel, and I also finally got around to fixing my airbags, a passenger seat rattle, and I got my Ebrake sensor working again.

By fixing the sensor and getting the airbag module hooked back up , my "BRAKE" light now functions properly with the E-brake, my "airbag" light went off, and my "service engine" light went off. The ebrake fix also makes my auto headlights work again. The only light I need to fix on my cluster now is the "Security" light that stays on.

I'm glad to finally have some of the little things fixed that have driven me nuts from day one. I just hate spending time fixing dumb stuff that should have never been done by the previous owner. Next on the list is getting the wipers working again and getting that security light off. Anyone have any info on how to fix the security light?

Quick Reply: Picked up my new 01' Camaro SS