Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

My 1998 Camaro Z28 a.k.a The redneck.

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 01:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile My 1998 Camaro Z28 a.k.a The redneck.

Well,ill start by saying this my first ls1 car. I made the change from lt1 based to ls based. So far,I'm happy with it.

I found the car about 45 miles from me,and the price tag made it worth seeing. So we went and looked the car over,I must admit that on the way to view the car,I was expecting a mess.

Much to my surprise,it was the opposite. There sat a clean,high mileage camaro. The owners had everything ready,carfax report,maintenence records,etc. The car had been repainted twice,and both times were due to winter time ditch accidents. Both were claimed thru insurance and documented. No structural damage at all.

After looking over all the paper work,we started looking the car over. The oil was crystal clear,and it is completely unmolested. Down to the factory muffler. Only changes made,was done by the husband,and that was the American flag emblems. This car served as a daily driver for years,and the mileage reflects that. It has a 180k on it. All maintenence was kept up with tho,so mileage was not my concern.

After discussing price,we brought it home. I couldn't pass it up. After seeing where we got the car from,and the flag badges,I deemed it "The redneck".

Here it is,as I bought it:

As we all do,I had to start making changes. The first thing to go was the badges. Then the pinstripe. Not a fan of either one.

So I got to work,and this was the outcome:

Once that was done,I started making my plans for it. I will be drag racing the car,but that's about all I know right now. Not sure on my mods yet. I do plan to change the rims soon,that's for sure.

So now I'm going to document each step I take. So bare with me,as it may be a slow process. I did decide to get base numbers for stuff,like wieght,and track times as it sits.

No track times yet,but here is the wieght. This is with me in it,I'm 190lbs,and less then a 1/4 tank of gas:

To be continued..........

Last edited by SHDY 5.7; 09-07-2012 at 10:48 AM.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So 3400lbs not bad. Start off w/ the free mods and a air lid. I did them w/ a off road y-pipe but still had stock exhaust manifolds and just lower control arms and ran 13.19@ 106.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sorry for the delay in my response.

As of yesterday, I started pulling the factory air box and mass air of the car to do the free mods. My plans were to do the t/b coolant bypass, cut the egr, free ram air, pull the screen from the maf, and pull the a/c belt.

I also have to clean the coolant level sensor, and run a manual fan switch.

Well just as I got started, my wifes water broke, and away we went. Right to the Labor & Delivery wing at our local hospital. So the car will sit until we get to go home.

Once we are situated, and I complete the mods I have listed, we will be hitting the local track for base times.

On a side note:
We welcomed our beautiful, and healthy daughter, Loralie Belle into the world last night at 7:18pm. She was 6lbs 13oz, and 18" long.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:35 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

congrats man!! im down here in joliet il, if you ever have anythinjg your sellin or need lemme know.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks. I'm always looking for fellow enthusiasts to hang with.
Old 09-11-2012, 03:12 AM
10 Second Club

Congrats on the buy and your new baby
Old 09-12-2012, 12:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thank you.

Updates:
I haven't had much free time obviously, but I'm hoping to spend some time on the car tomorrow. I did find that the back, drivers side brake caliper seems to be sticking. I base this on a rubbing type noise I'm getting, and that rim is the only one covered in brake dust.

So my plans as of right now, for tomorrow are to grab some new pads, inspect the all the calipers, replace them if need be, and then paint the calipers and brackets. As u can see in the above pics, my badges are purple, so I plan to do my calipers in purple also. I figure its a Nice change from the usual colors used.

Once I'm done there, and time allowing of course, I plan to pull the berger panel and start on it. As far as that goes, I'm still in a debate on what I'm going to do with the panel.

Do i.......

A.) Paint the panel purple, and do the letters and badges black?

Or.....

B.) Leave the panel black, and do the letters and badges purple?

I do think the purple berger panel could look good against the black body. Opinions are welcome on this. Keep in mind, the rims that are going on it for now, are black with polished lips.

Thursday I pick up my smooth bellow and lid for the car, and from there ill finish up the free mods, and get her back on the road. Time permitting of course. My little girl comes first.

Once all that's done, I'm going to tackle the headlights. One is real foggy, and I want to paint the insides black. Excuse me for not knowing the name of that mod lol. Then its back to collecting parts for more power.

Pics to come........
Old 09-17-2012, 12:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Update:

Well I didn't get to the brakes as of yet, but that will get done this week.

However, I did finish all the free mods, which did make a noticeable difference in the car. Definately woke it up a little. I didn't get a chance to pick up my bellow and lid, but that'll be one of the next steps.

I also changed the rims and tires on the car. It now has American racing rims on it, with 315 nittos out back. I also did the berger panel in purple aswell. Some may hate it, but I like it. Need to get a new rear badge tho, the old one came off in pieces.

So the next steps will be:
New pads, and caliper painting
Lid and bellow
Removing the front sway bar
Replacing the broke badge
Repainting the others
Small diet
Hitting the track for base numbers

That's for now, then I have to sit down and start making plans for the major mods.

Here are some pics with the new rims:

Out cruising with my bro in his 2000 SS aka The BeaSSt

Will update again soon......
Old 09-17-2012, 12:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Update:

Well I didn't get to the brakes as of yet, but that will get done this week.

However, I did finish all the free mods, which did make a noticeable difference in the car. Definately woke it up a little. I didn't get a chance to pick up my bellow and lid, but that'll be one of the next steps.

I also changed the rims and tires on the car. It now has American racing rims on it, with 315 nittos out back. I also did the berger panel in purple aswell. Some may hate it, but I like it. Need to get a new rear badge tho, the old one came off in pieces.

So the next steps will be:
New pads, and caliper painting
Lid and bellow
Removing the front sway bar
Replacing the broke badge
Repainting the others
Small diet
Hitting the track for base numbers

That's for now, then I have to sit down and start making plans for the major mods.

Here are some pics with the new rims:

Out cruising with my bro in his 2000 SS aka The BeaSSt

Will update again soon......
Old 09-21-2012, 11:20 PM
Teching In

The car looks 10 times better. Love the black and purple.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

Update:

Ok as of today, the front brakes are painted, sway bar is gone, but i left the rear in place. I also removed all the a/c stuff including the compressor. That was a real blast (100% sarcasm).

I did get my FTP lid and smooth bellow but it doesnt work on my car. Bellow is for the bigger t/b im guessing and the lid didnt have a hole in it for my sensor. Im guessing its for a newer model. Please forgive my stupidity, Im new to these cars. I am going to try and find a way to make it work tho, as Im sure itll make a huge difference in performance.

My steps for this week are going to be removing the front and rear bumper supports, impact foam, washer bottle, fog lights and brackets, etc. I also plan to finish painting the rear brakes, and do a tune up on it.

I definately have not gotten done as much as I would have hoped for, but Im still learning and doing this as time and money permit. I will be at Union Groves Great Lakes Dragaway next saturday getting a base number on the car. I also plan to wiegh it this week after i remove everything to see what it wieghs now.

That will be the end of my basic mods, at this point cold weather is coming quickly so its time to get to the drawing board and figure out what I want to do to it over the winter. I know I want to add some appearence touches, like slicks and skinnies, SS wing, a nice hood, and some other touches.

As for performance, my mind is going a million different directions. Cant decide between just doing a nitrous car with all stock parts besides exhaust, or doing a cam only style car with some spray.

Decisions, decisions LOL.

To be continued.........
Old 10-07-2012, 12:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

UPDATE:

Sorry, haven't been on much due to work. Im an electrician, so I'm stacking hours now, before it gets slow!

As of 9/29/12 , I officialy have a base number for it, in the 1/4 mile. The car ran a best of 13.5 @ 103mph with a 1.9 60ft. Pic below.....

**mod list as of 9/29**
FTP lid
No a/c, and all of it removed
Free ram air
Cut egr tube
T/b bypass
Manual fan switch
Back seat and hardware removed
Rear impact foam removed
315 nitto 555r drag radials
Front sway bar removed

My first pass of the day was a whopping 13.99 @ 98mph, with a 2.1 60ft. I let the car idle, and then pounded the gas on green. After some cool down time and some trial and error passes, I found that stalling the stock converter to about 1200rpm netted the best 60ft and et, which is the pic posted above. I do wonder if the 315 drag radial is slowing me down? It is a big tire, for a stock car.

Now I know these numbers aren't super impressive, but I was happy. It's a 98 with 180,000 miles lol, that is mainly stock(mod list posted above). It did however leave me thirsting for better times.

With that being said, the car is going back in our shop for more "free horsepower". We have a track day coming October 21st, and I'm hoping to go bottom 13s or high 12s, Especialy with the cooler temps.

So here is the list of changes happening before the 21st......

Removing front bumper support, impact foam, fog lights, washer bottle, etc.

Adding a trans cooler

Removing wipers, wiper assembly, wiper motor, etc.

Removing egr and air pump stuff.

Removing p/s and running the bare essentials only, which are crank,w/p, and alt.

Removing the door bars.

Finishing removing the rear bumper support

Installing a cut out, or just cutting off the factory muffler.

Last, but not least, its going to Speed Inc for a tune once its finished!

I'm hoping with the list above, I can see some better times. After the 21st, the car gets put away for the winter, and ill start collecting the good parts from companys like yank, tick, n.o.s, Texas speed, etc ;-)

To be continued.......
Old 12-26-2012, 09:33 PM
Teching In

Any update? Would love to see how much you take off of your et with all the stuff your removing. I never had to put dragradials on my car with the 3.23 gear. It dead hooked and cut a 2.0 60ft, didnt stall it up or anything. Your mph is a little low tho.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:33 AM
Teching In

Good progress so far. I am actually liking the purple with the black. It's not something you see. Good luck! Can't wait to see further progress. Subscribing!
Old 12-27-2012, 03:35 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"the redneck"?

Thats a shitty *** name.

Quick Reply: My 1998 Camaro Z28 a.k.a The redneck.