Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

It still has an opti V2!

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 09:27 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Barney the sbe ls1,th350,nitrous budget build!

I first got my 1996 z28 my freshman year in high school it had a blown head gasket and 203k on it, I wound up getting a bbody lt1 with 60k on it put in.

I started out with little suttle things like painting the emblems vht the tails etc... That all lead onto mods got true duals ran off the stock mani's sounded pretty good then got a cai. Then came longtubes and a rebuilt t56 along with a ws6 store short stick and umi pistol grip!

After a while of riding around on the salad shooters my tires were damn bald and i wanted new rims. Well i stumbled across a great local deal on some ss 10 spokes bought 6 rims and 2 brand new tires for 250 bucks. Wound up doing some research and ended up painting them myself.

I was absolutely amazed by how much this changed the look of the car!

Well everything was going great the car had been running good i got a new job and was in a great local fbody club. Well we decided to go to a big meet in destin,fl it had been raining all day but finally started to clear up but was still damp out. So we all met up and took off was a fun ride we were about a hour or so from destin. We crossed 3 mile bridge going into gulf breeze it was damp and i went to switch lanes. Well at that time i hit a dip or something in the bridge the whole *** end of the car started to wheel hop and bounce around i tried to control it to the best of my ability but was not able to as soon as the car grabbed pavement again my front left fender hit the wall and the car was sent into 360's. I was told my front wheels were higher than the side of the bridge, as i was sent into about 3 360's i looked back and saw a big moving truck coming and missed me i really though it was over when i saw him but thank god he missed me. The rear quarter then hit the other side of the bridge and then i was sent into one more spin before the back bumper slammed into the bridge and stopped the car. Another member who was behind me had stopped and called 911. I was given told to stay in my car -_- im like wtf. So the tow truck comes and we get to the end of the bridge and the cop winds up giving me a ticket after she didnt even witness anything but whatever. Anywayas heres the after math of it all i was completely heart broken.

I was then given an opportunity to buy a 93 silverado from a good friend for an amazing price everything documented including new crate motor!

After months of nothing then came across a roller in Mississippi for a decent price!

Well guys this is quite a bit of a story on this one so hang in there!

So i started out my saturday morning pretty wore out from friday my buddy got new nittos put on his mustang so we were messing around with it all day yesterday. Well i wake up at 6:30 roll out of bed finally get ready hit the bank up pull 600 bucks out and head to my dads. Weather is kinda rainy in foley/fairhope and im like meh mabye itll clear up. So we head out making our way to Gulfport to look at this 94 z28 roller i found on clist. We hit some of the most disgusting weather on I10 causing people to have to go 35 mph. We get stuck in that most of the way there. We finally get out of the heavy rain and turn off and head to the guys house. We finally get there and turn in and it is flooding. So i call the guy and im just like well lets just wait it out and then when we get a break and then well check it out. Well after about an hour of heavy heavy weather we finally get a break and head up to the car i meet the owner patrick and i begin to look over the car. I look it over and im like hmm not bad real solid body interiors not too bad(most of it he had been taking out of the car(saved me some time) lol. So we work out a deal and he goes in side to get the title we sign everything over i hand him the cash and bam were done. Sounds like a great story that ends right there right? WRONG! LOL So we hook a rope to the car and pull it into the front yard. Next we go to get a trailer so were making our way to a uhaul when my dads buddy calls him that lived around the corner he says we can borrow his trailer he built. So im like heck yea lets save some money and borrow his. Ive never met the guy before so we pull up into his yard and i see a mobile home and a house being built. My dad then tells me you see that back there thats his saw mill he cuts trees up he gets and then makes them into lumber and is using them to build his house and built everything on his house. Im like damn thats cool so we go inside and down off the ladder comes a little old man and im like damn thats crazy hes been building this awesome house and cutting his own wood! So we go outside talk for a little bit and then he allows us to borrow his trailer and 7500 lb winch so we go to air up the tire thats low and come to find out it has a hole from a nail. So were sitting there while he puts a plug in and it starts pouring down lol. Well we finally get the plug in and were soaking wet we load everything up and head back to patricks house to pick the car up. We get there with this long awesome trailer and we back up to the car hook the wench up and were like damn this is gonna be a tight fit width wise getting this thing on there. So we start to wench the thing up the trailer and we get the front tires on super tight and i mean TIGHT fit lol well the car starts to go to the right and about halfway up the trailer winds up touching the door so were like ****. So me and pat push while my dad uses the winch. We get the back wheels on the ramp and the car slids to far to the left and the trailer touches that door so me and 5 other guys try to move the car over to straighten it out and after about an hour of trying different methods have no luck. So we push the car off the trailer and make our way to my dads friends to drop his trailer back off. So we turn on the gps and make our way to the closest uhaul well it turns out the uhaul place is just a drop off and moving supplies store. We go in and the nice lady calls the uhaul line and makes us a reservation to get a trailer. So we then take off a few miles down the road to uhual. We get there and go in theres some woman going to maryland and the uhaul lady cant find the address on the computer an the lady going doesnt know any other cities near so im like omg!!! lol So after 15 minutes the lady finally gets done and the next people in front of us get in line and i hear the lady say something about the keypad being messed up and it being a hour wait till something would work and im like F&*&*&&*(*&* i only have a debit card!!!! Well we get next in line and she does all our paper work in like 4 min. we pay and get outside she hooks the trailer up in 5 min. were off! We finally get back to the car hook the winch up i steer as pat guides me up we strap the wheels down and say our thanks and goodbyes and were off! We finally stop in theodoore for gas i check everything on the car and we head back out! We turn off in daphne and im thinking as everyone looks at the car dang if someone ask why im trailering it i wanna say BECAUSE RACECAR!!!!! lol We finally get the car to fairhope and that ends the story loll!

sorry for the long story/rant just wanna make this build thread extremely detailed!

6/15/12

Heres the tails in car!

painted radiator support gloss black.

Because racecar?

Last edited by mtt14; 07-12-2015 at 03:51 PM. Reason: Title change
Old 09-23-2012, 09:28 AM
Launching!

6/15/12

Well today i got some stuff done pulled and threw away the old nasty *** carpet and heres what i found its lovely.

Drivers rear isnt too bad itll all come out.

Also decided im not gonna clear coat the engine bay the rustoleum paint doesnt like the duplicolor clear it takes all the gloss away ive tried wet sanding it,compound and wax and it just wont shine like it should.

this is two coats without clear.

little bit of fish eye cant help it though im outside and im sure dust flies in it

ill probably redo it later but for now this will do looks a **** ton better than it did and i got rid of the little bit of rust it had.

06/22/12

Update driverside shock tower repainted now just have to paint the firewall.

Heres the last breathe it will take most likely till its in its new home.

7/15/12

Floor pans painted and no more rust.

Just have a little bit to get rid of on the drivers side towards the pedals.

Old 09-23-2012, 09:29 AM
Launching!

7/29/12

Antenna removed!

Spare sheet metal cut!

Antenna deleted!And yes i grinded the welds down smoothed it out and added some filler lol

Engine bay fully painted!

8/19/12

Got me a free 8.8 today for pulling another 8.8 for a buddies truck!

9/14/12

Got the motor and tranny out the top in 2 hours!

Updates will come as i do them some weekends i just cant do anything with it but now with the cooler fall weather coming im ready to start busting it up!!!
Old 09-23-2012, 10:12 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The problem with the clear coat was that it was duplicolor. That stuff is garbage. Your better off-the-shelf aerosol option would have been krylon.
Old 09-25-2012, 03:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ran into the same issues with duplicolor on my engine bay, it just wouldn't lay down smooth. In my situation the overspray seemed to dust the drying parts and it just gave everything a texture. Didn't look horrible and I left it. It's held up well and still looks decent after 10+ years.
Old 09-25-2012, 03:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Best of luck on your new project!

BTW, What did the cop give you a ticket for?
Old 10-02-2012, 10:22 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Rob94hawk
Best of luck on your new project!

BTW, What did the cop give you a ticket for?
Thanks man im actually already gathering parts for an lsx swap but that comes later lol and the cop gave me a ticket by saying judging by the way the vehicle looked i failed to use due care even though the car is half plastic lol it was bs man.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:18 PM
Launching!

BUMP sorry for lack of updates!

10/16/2012

finallyyy an update lol

got the wiring harness out gonna rewrap it and get new loom asap!

10/21/2012

Poly motor mounts installed and harness rewrapped!

11/5/2012

I got 99 problems but soon an optispark wont be one!

Old 11-11-2012, 01:25 AM
Launching!

11/11/2012

Well heres what were starting with the 4 lt1 pcm connectors and the ls1 pcm connectors and coil banks.

This is after i got done pinning my coils in!

And last but not least here is after i was done with the red lt1 connector!
Old 11-11-2012, 09:25 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Coming along real well! Youll love the 24x setup! Goodluck and keep posting!
Old 11-11-2012, 10:02 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

post somemore detail on the 24x conversion, i think its something we all want to attempt along the road.

Keep it up!
Old 11-11-2012, 10:59 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SoxXpupPeT
Coming along real well! Youll love the 24x setup! Goodluck and keep posting!
I know it man i cant wait to get the whole thing done and have it fired up next year still have a long way to go lol other plans are a sunoco wide cowl,ss spoiler,pa racing tubular k member and i need to get started on my 8.8 build!

Originally Posted by cprmn14
post somemore detail on the 24x conversion, i think its something we all want to attempt along the road.

Keep it up!
I will man i actually just made a thread on my pins and the leftover pins but i may make a complete thread with pics.

11/11/2012

Finally finished the repin process lol still have about 9 wires to figure out what to deal with but i believe they are all emission/tcc so they will be deleted!

Old 11-25-2012, 11:22 AM
Launching!

11/25/12

Cut one coil off my springs and did the heater hose mod and I have to say I'm pretty happy with it after I cut one coil.

Finally got all the unneeded emissions wiring out of the harness!

heres something scary my harness loll

and now i think we're getting somewhere just have my c connectors to pin And power my coils!

Old 12-08-2012, 10:11 PM
Launching!

Bump it up sold some optis and wires today and bought some stuff from a buddy.

First for a catback from a buddy for a steal its a borla Xs pro muffler with quad tips!!!

Next a flowmaster 3-3.5" merge.

And last but not least got my coils for 24x!
Old 12-20-2012, 04:33 PM
Launching!

Well I traded my 10 spoke ss wheels for this so let's just say this build will be taking a whole new direction

Old 12-20-2012, 06:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

damn, all that work on the harness and now going lsx
Old 12-20-2012, 10:15 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by nascarnate326
damn, all that work on the harness and now going lsx
I know right? Lol I'm actually gonna sell the harness as is figure it'll save someone the headache of trying to repin it.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Looking good. Nice color too
Old 12-23-2012, 09:19 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by mtt14
Well I traded my 10 spoke ss wheels for this so let's just say this build will be taking a whole new direction
Not a bad trade if everything is in working order. Hopefully you have all the bolts for that as well. That **** will nickle/dime you to death if you don't.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:21 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by mcalus
Looking good. Nice color too
I know it man at first I wanted to paint it hugger orange but after seeing your car I started to look at it more and I fell in love I'm just gonna add a Sunoco wide and a ss spoiler which looks great on your car glad you added one!

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Not a bad trade if everything is in working order. Hopefully you have all the bolts for that as well. That **** will nickle/dime you to death if you don't.
I actually do have it all man just gonna put it back together with arp rod bolts,new rings and bearings.

Overall I'm happy with the trade lol

Quick Reply: It still has an opti V2!