Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Need some help here

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 12:25 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need some help here

Was driving around last weekend (after thanksgiving) and when I got home smelled oil burning popped the hood and saw fluid had gone down the driver side of the engine and got on the steering leakage and on the rack and pinon. So after the car cooled off checked the oil and it was fine so thought it was a slow leak and I would leave it alone for now and take care of it later. Well this last Friday when I got to work I could smell it pretty good and saw a puddle of fluid I thought was oil built up in the valley between the valve covers and lower intake manifold. so called up one of my shops to have them do the valve cover gaskets. Well I was telling my buddy about this sat. and went to show him now I hadn't look at it without the engine running/hot but at this time the car had been sitting for a few hours so it had cooled down and he pointed out that it was not oil like I thought but dexa-cool so we checked the rad. and sure enough it was low. So on to the question is this a common problem and if it is how hard/expensive is it to fix? Oh and fwi the car is a 2000 V-6 3800 series II camaro.
Thank you all in advance for the help.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:38 AM
Launching!

Where's it leaking from? Intake?
Old 12-03-2012, 11:39 PM
Staging Lane

I wasn't sure where the leak was coming from but now I know it was my themostat housing gasket
Old 12-04-2012, 10:07 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by camarosteve2k
I wasn't sure where the leak was coming from but now I know it was my themostat housing gasket
Just do it yourself, should take an hour of your time. Make sure to get the O-ring gasket when you replace the thermostat.

Quick Reply: Need some help here