42:electronic spark timing circuit open or shorted

43: electronic spark control circuit low voltage

44: lean exhaust left side

45: rich exhaust left side

51: computer faulty

53: system voltage too high over 17.7

54: fuel pump circuit fault

55: electronic control module fault or oxygen sensor fault

ok so here is what it does. when you start it up as it warms up the coolant fans goto 12 volt mode voltage goes up to like 15 or 16, car sounds like timing is screwed up. when driving around if under 1/4 throttle no light sounds good runs good, over 1/4 throttle bad timing sound, check engine light, voltage increase, fans on 12 volt circuit, poor acceleration.

right now i am leaning towards the ecu is screwed up. but i would like to hear other opinions as well. i have already disconnected the battery and hooke dit back up after 15 minutes. i already have cleaned out all the sensor connections except the ecu one (doing that in a bit), changed 7 plugs (damn front one on passenger side is a pain waiting till it warms up to work on it).
Old 02-07-2013, 09:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bad Ground?
Old 02-08-2013, 11:59 AM
Teching In

shoebox suggested the alternator is causing overvoltage, when the weather is better i will remove the alternator and get it tested.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:36 PM
On The Tree

Put a dvm(digital volt meter) on it and check the output at the alternator. Doesn't have to be removed from the car to check it. Also, no codes for the opti showing up? Almost seems like it could be something going on in there. No dampness in the area possibly causing any arcing?
Old 02-08-2013, 05:03 PM
Teching In

none that i can see. just a lot of gunk from old oil. when it gets nicer out i am going to hand scrub the engine. i have a new cap and rotor i bought to put on going to get some wires too. that and change that last spark plug. also got some valve cover gaskets and the 4 lug nuts its missing lol. might check out the voltage this weekend, but even if my meter says consistant 12-14 i think ill still take it off to get it checked. its just 4 bolts and a belt and free to get it checked so no biggie. honestly the alternator is right now the only easy thing to work with on this car, most of it is a pain. i am thinking this summer i might drop the whole front end and go nuts on it replacing everything. also hoping by this fall to get another set of lt1 heads that i will port and polish since that seems to give by far the largest increase in power other than increase in displacement or F/I or swapping an ls1 like everyone else lol.

Quick Reply: throwing 8 codes on a 94 z28