Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

vats vats vats vast vats problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 07:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool vats vats vats vast vats problem

ok i know there is a thousand and 1 threads about vats and bypass and all that ... but my problem is driving me nuts.. ok i have a 95 and i have bypassed the ignition with resistors buuuttt i was still having trouble with the security light coming on (3 minute type) and recently it came on while i was driving and stayed on...

it cut off while i was driving ...ok long story short .. ive changed the fuel pump and filter changed the fuel pump relay.. had my electrical checked (fine) even bypassed the tdr ... and im still getting the 3 minute light but the car still sounds like it starts then it cuts off (while the security is on) it started after 4 cycles and starts fine and no light... what can still cause the security to come on ???
Old 03-05-2013, 09:00 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by sirdrew333
ok i know there is a thousand and 1 threads about vats and bypass and all that ... but my problem is driving me nuts.. ok i have a 95 and i have bypassed the ignition with resistors buuuttt i was still having trouble with the security light coming on (3 minute type) and recently it came on while i was driving and stayed on...

it cut off while i was driving ...ok long story short .. ive changed the fuel pump and filter changed the fuel pump relay.. had my electrical checked (fine) even bypassed the tdr ... and im still getting the 3 minute light but the car still sounds like it starts then it cuts off (while the security is on) it started after 4 cycles and starts fine and no light... what can still cause the security to come on ???
Do your power windows work and stock or aftermarket radio? Could be the bcm (body control module). Also, if anybody else wants to chime in, might be the ignition switch. You probably, in all honestly, need to get it tuned out properly and get rid of the resistor mod. Just asking for more issues that way IMO.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:09 PM

yeah i have been having window issues (wont go all the way a pause and go type of deal) and radio is after market.. window issue has been on going tho.. ill check out the bcm .. but would that cause the whole car to shut down while driving? would the tdr shut the car off while running?
Old 03-05-2013, 09:40 PM
On The Tree

That could be just a faulty motor. The window motors are notorious for the thermal switch to trip a lot as the motor gets older and more strain is put on it. Mainly you'll see an intermittent function with the pass side window and the radio kind of flicker/freak out if the bcm is starting to go bad provided it was the stock one.

You possibly could have an issue with the tdr, although its not very common that these go bad. You can check the ground locations to make sure that you are in fact getting a good ground, but the tdr won't cause the car to die out like that. It will just prevent it from starting in gear, etc but won't cut fuel. That's what the actual vats system does.

Have you checked the resistance with the key in the ignition before and after the resistor bypass mod and verified that it is the same? Depending on the tolerance values of the resistors used, you could be off just enough to trigger the vats.

Quick Reply: vats vats vats vast vats problem