Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Just bought Z28, need some maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 09:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought Z28, need some maintenance

I recently purchased a '93 Z28 for $3,000, original everything. It's got 200K miles on it, but hasn't been driven rough. The previous owner is a friend of the family, and she had it dealership maintained up until she stopped driving it, around 5 - 8 years ago.

I've been driving it for a few months now, and have found some issues that need to be addressed with it. I was wondering if you guys could help me deduce the solutions!

The first problem is with acceleration/driving over 50mph. When accelerating hard or cruising over 50, the engine 'jerks'. It feels like the engine kicks back a little, and the car hesitates to increase speed. This problem is consistent.

The second problem is intermittent, and involves the car idling rough. I can't really find a variable that causes it, but it chugs and idles rough/inconsistently when it's doing this. It doesn't seem to be related to the first problem.

The third problem is with the oil pressure. This is actually a two-part problem. One, the car eats oil. There is definitely a leak, coming from somewhere around the back of the engine. I'm not exactly sure where. Two, every time I decelerate quickly the oil pressure drops to zero and the 'check gauges' light comes on. This problem is consistent.

I had the fuel tank replaced when I first got the car, have had the tires rotated and balanced, and have had an alignment done.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!
Old 03-07-2013, 07:43 AM
Launching!

You have been driving for a few months with an engine that has a serious oil pressure problem?
Old 03-07-2013, 09:56 AM

One, I don't really have a choice. Two, it's only when I brake. After a second, the pressure goes back up to normal. As far as the leak, that's not a serious issue as long as I keep adding oil.

Trust me, if I could just keep the car in a garage until I had it fixed up, I would. My current circumstances don't allow for that, though.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:21 AM
Launching!

Well I understand that it might be your only car, but you are probably destroying your engine. 0 oil pressure is VERY BAD.

I understand your current circumstances don't allow you to park the car and fix it, but what are you going to do when the engine locks up?

A common oil leak for the LT1 is the rear of the intake manifold. Your oil pressure issue is a big one. I'm going to guess that the oil pick up tube fell off and when the oil sloshes around in the pan, you're sucking air.

All ignition components should be replaced. Save the opti for last because it's a PITA and it's expensive.

Honestly, it sounds like you've got your hands full and driving the car isn't going to help things. A lot of people end up pulling the engine to drop the pan and do the intake manifold. It would actually be easier and probably faster.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:13 AM

Yeah, I know it's bad. I wish I had another option. I'm in Cali on military orders, so I don't have much of an option other than to get the more critical issues fixed.

Heck, just replacing the plugs and wires through a shop here costs more than a grand. I've had two separate shops give me an estimate for a tuneup, and both prices were that high.

Thanks a bunch for the advice. I'll go by a shop today to see about an estimate for the oil.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:29 AM
Launching!

Something to consider. You have $3k into the car right now. By the time it's all said and done, you're going to have nearly double that. But what do you have then? A 200,000 mile Camaro that's been driving around with oil pressure problems. The 93's have issues on top of that.

I say sell the car as it, cut your losses, and move on before you dig yourself a hole.

Who knows, you can probably sell the car for $2000.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:05 PM

I wish I could. I still owe on it, and I don't have a way to get another at the moment. Maybe later in the year I'll be able to replace it =|

Quick Reply: Just bought Z28, need some maintenance