Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

2002 3.8 starting problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 02:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 3.8 starting problems

I have a 2002 Camaro 3.8 with 125k milkes on it. I just drove it for about 5 mins, parked for about an hour, tried to start it and couldn't. I got it running for about 30 seconds but was running bad almost like if you left the choke on. I tried to rev it but it would shut off once the rps went back down. I have never had this problem or any other problems with the car. Please help with any suggestions thank you
Old 06-18-2013, 07:47 PM

My son just had this happen to him not long ago all I can tell you is have a friend turn the key to the on position while you put you ear to the gas filler tube if you don't hear a whine or buzz of some sort it may be the fuel pump if it is the fuel pump it is a pretty simple job if you have any mechanical skills at all there is no way to change it other than drop the tank though unless you want to cut a hole in your trunk pan and I wouldn't do that if it isn't the fuel pump it could be a number of things so start with it first and work from there
Old 06-19-2013, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by ejwmiller
My son just had this happen to him not long ago all I can tell you is have a friend turn the key to the on position while you put you ear to the gas filler tube if you don't hear a whine or buzz of some sort it may be the fuel pump if it is the fuel pump it is a pretty simple job if you have any mechanical skills at all there is no way to change it other than drop the tank though unless you want to cut a hole in your trunk pan and I wouldn't do that if it isn't the fuel pump it could be a number of things so start with it first and work from there
its not the fuel pump I can hear it turn on. Wen i get it to turn on it sounds like im running with a cam. there is also some smoke comming out the exhaust.
Old 06-19-2013, 01:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

any DTC codes? is there gas in the tank? if so, check/clean the MAF sensor it may be dirty. another suggestion is unplug the maf and try and start the car, if it runs then its MAF sensor related.
Old 06-21-2013, 03:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

+ 1 on whats said above about the maf.

Its about in middle of the intake. 2 screws and you can pull it off.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't write off a pump Just because you can hear it. .. check the fuel pressure, there is a Schrader valve on the fuel rail for a gauge

Last edited by ANGRY BIRD; 07-18-2013 at 12:20 PM.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I would also check the MAF and the CAT's. I had a few codes on mine, none suggested teh cats or the maf, so after chasing around problems on mine, after both of those were changed I swear I gained 40 hp if I gained 1 hp and the codes went away to never return.

Quick Reply: 2002 3.8 starting problems