Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

What color should 2002-top be?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 12:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What color should 2002-top be?

I bought a 2002 Z28 in 2007 with 11,700 miles; another dude bought it new from a dealership near me, in NC. This summer I took it out of storage for its 2-week annual exercise. I notice that the black top (NOT the T-tops, of course) has some tape-lines raising where apparently someone had put 2 stripes across it at one time, either tape or paint. It is also obvious now that the top has been painted w'out proper prepping--hence the raising along the tape-lines.

The car is red, & you couldn't ask for a newer one, even brand new at a dealership. I am going to have the top painted properly; and I have a painter I've used for several jobs. (No one I've ever experienced can beat him.) Did those cars all come with a black top? Or did some come with a red top? Either one, he can make it look factory. I've been looking as I drive and have seen only 2 other red ones that were approx. the same year; both of them had black tops.

But I honestly think it would look better painted red. At this point, factory or not, I'm inclined to go with the red. What do you guys think? Ever seen one that was red w/red top? Of course the t-tops and hatch glass look black due to the factory tint on the glass; but it is an entirely different shade of black than the top itself. I seem to recall some years back that a 1-year newer red 'vette was red all over, whereas the year earlier had a black top (or maybe it was a black hood scoop?). And, some guys were having their older cars painted red to match the 1 year newer--imo, they looked quite a bit better, too.

Thanks for your thoughts. You guys may alter my present intentions!
Sam(luvbowties)
Old 08-11-2013, 06:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Should be same color as the car.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:54 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackpanther99
Should be same color as the car.
This is incorrect.

While all Firebirds received body-colored tops, only V6 Camaros received body-colored tops. Z28 and SS received black tops except for 2002 35th Limited Edition SS models.
Old 08-16-2013, 10:36 AM
On The Tree

Here's a picture of how they came from the factory

And here's mine that was repainted under warranty with body matching top just like the v6s.
Old 08-16-2013, 07:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I remember seing a 1998-2002 Camaro parked at College months ago and it was same color as the car. Must of been a v6. Lol Always thought the roofs were all same color as the car wether its a v6 or V6 other than a T-top. Guess I was wrong.
Old 08-17-2013, 11:13 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by luvbowties
I bought a 2002 Z28 in 2007 with 11,700 miles; another dude bought it new from a dealership near me, in NC. This summer I took it out of storage for its 2-week annual exercise. I notice that the black top (NOT the T-tops, of course) has some tape-lines raising where apparently someone had put 2 stripes across it at one time, either tape or paint. It is also obvious now that the top has been painted w'out proper prepping--hence the raising along the tape-lines.

The car is red, & you couldn't ask for a newer one, even brand new at a dealership. I am going to have the top painted properly; and I have a painter I've used for several jobs. (No one I've ever experienced can beat him.) Did those cars all come with a black top? Or did some come with a red top? Either one, he can make it look factory. I've been looking as I drive and have seen only 2 other red ones that were approx. the same year; both of them had black tops.

But I honestly think it would look better painted red. At this point, factory or not, I'm inclined to go with the red. What do you guys think? Ever seen one that was red w/red top? Of course the t-tops and hatch glass look black due to the factory tint on the glass; but it is an entirely different shade of black than the top itself. I seem to recall some years back that a 1-year newer red 'vette was red all over, whereas the year earlier had a black top (or maybe it was a black hood scoop?). And, some guys were having their older cars painted red to match the 1 year newer--imo, they looked quite a bit better, too.

Thanks for your thoughts. You guys may alter my present intentions!
Sam(luvbowties)
demonspeed's post above is exactly correct. Your 2002 Z28 most definitely came stock with a black top.

Having said that, I have some bad news about the roof issue. It's not a matter of needing a repaint, the entire roof panel needs to be replaced to permanently fix the issue you are experiencing. This is a well known problem on the '99-'02 F-bodies (including very late '98s). Here is a thread that details the issue. I have put a summary in the first post so you don't have to read the entire thread to understand the problem:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/paint-bod...e-dummies.html

Keep in mind that many people have tried various "fixes" to repair the issue without doing a roof replacement. None of these have worked permanently. It doesn't matter how good your paint guy is; the underlying issue has nothing to do with the paint itself.

It's really a shame that this has to happen. No 11k mile car should ever need a new body panel, but there is nothing else that can be done (short of never exposing the roof to heat or sun).
Old 08-20-2013, 07:27 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by demonspeed
This is incorrect.

While all Firebirds received body-colored tops, only V6 Camaros received body-colored tops. Z28 and SS received black tops except for 2002 35th Limited Edition SS models.
X2 woulda been my exact words. Its also your car so go by yoyr tastes.. Im sure eventually an fbody guy will see you that knows and might think you put dual tips on a v6 and z28 badges. If im not mistaken in 93 z28s came with tops that matched. Mine did and then after that they went to black. If i saw the car at a distance i would think v6 tho for sure without being close to it.
Old 08-21-2013, 06:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Docrocket1967
If im not mistaken in 93 z28s came with tops that matched. Mine did and then after that they went to black. If i saw the car at a distance i would think v6 tho for sure without being close to it.
Incorrect. In 1993 and 1994 the Z28 option had black mirrors and black roof standard. Starting in 1995 the black roof and mirrors were standard on the Z28, but the option for a body colored roof was available. The mirrors always stayed black. In 2000 the mirrors changed to body colored and the roof of the Z28 came standard in black with the option of having it body colored.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:31 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Originally Posted by TechCam97
Incorrect. In 1993 and 1994 the Z28 option had black mirrors and black roof standard. Starting in 1995 the black roof and mirrors were standard on the Z28, but the option for a body colored roof was available. The mirrors always stayed black. In 2000 the mirrors changed to body colored and the roof of the Z28 came standard in black with the option of having it body colored.
I've seen the body-colored top listed as optional for the Z28, but I've only seen one that came that way from the factory. It was a 97 t-top. Otherwise, I'm supposing hardly anyone opted for it -- or it really wasn't an option other than for a couple small glitches. I'm sure someone like Brangeta could elaborate about RPO codes.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by demonspeed
I've seen the body-colored top listed as optional for the Z28, but I've only seen one that came that way from the factory. It was a 97 t-top. Otherwise, I'm supposing hardly anyone opted for it -- or it really wasn't an option other than for a couple small glitches. I'm sure someone like Brangeta could elaborate about RPO codes.
Yea, they are not that common. I remember looking into it back in the late 90's / early 00's and found a bunch of the original brochures. I believe Brangeta also had the information posted on his site at one point as well, I remember he was also really big into the history of the fourth generation F-Body and would have little snippets of history like that imbedded here and there.

I've seen a few with the option. There was a guy in our old car club who had a red 95 Z28 with T-Tops and the body colored roof option and there was another with a white 1997 Camaro SS hardtop that was optioned like that as well. I have not seen a 98-02 hardtop with the option, but a few with T-Tops.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Correction to myself, the option was D82 for the monochromatic roof option and it did include the mirrors as well. Carry on.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:36 AM
On The Tree

Correction to myself, the option was D82 for the monochromatic roof option and it did include the mirrors as well. Carry on.
You beat me too it! I knew this was an option, I just couldn't find the code.

OP: Do you see the D82 code on your car?
Old 08-21-2013, 11:20 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

I agree that this was optional on the '95-'97 V8 cars, but I have never seen this option (or RPO) on a '98-'02 V8 model (sans the LE '02 cars). Some people have opted for a body colored roof during roof panel replacement, which could account for the few examples that some have seen floating around, but I don't believe this could be ordered stock in the LS1 years. I have the literature for the '98, '99, and '00 Camaros, and nowhere is this option listed.

I suppose it's possibile that someone could have slipped this order through if they knew the exact RPO and had the dealer include it on the order sheet.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:51 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I agree that this was optional on the '95-'97 V8 cars, but I have never seen this option (or RPO) on a '98-'02 V8 model (sans the LE '02 cars).
This must be why I've never noticed it previously. As I mentioned, it was a '97 that I saw the painted top.
Old 08-23-2013, 12:23 PM
Teching In

red would be sweet. I have a stock black top and am looking into painting it red
Old 08-23-2013, 09:27 PM
Teching In

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My '97 SS has the D82 option

Quick Reply: What color should 2002-top be?