Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

02 Z28 Man Diary

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 09:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 02 Z28 Man Diary

Hello all!

This is going to be a running man diary of my 02 Z28.

I also have another here: 84 Z28 H.O. Man Diary

Any who - a little history about my cars. My first car was a 1989 RS back in high school.

I learned almost everything I know from working with my dad. The outside wasn't pretty by any means but the suspension and interior were top notch and the engine ran like a champ (usually). I traded up from an 89 to an 02 v6 back in 2004. Insurance was a killer for a 17 year old so the v6 did just fine. I even won best in class at the NTTGA car shows in Fort Worth 2 years in a row. The trusty v6 was bought practically brand new and lasted me from 2004 to 2010. Never once had a problem with it.

My dad's 2002 SS in this picture. To this day it only has 10k miles, most of that from the 2005 Hot Rod Power Tour.

Last edited by Thumpin305; 09-03-2013 at 01:25 PM.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:55 PM
On The Tree

At some point my brother was driving my RS and a 15 year old girl, without even a permit, decided to be stupid and did this to the RS. Everybody was ok.

Yep, it was totalled. We kept it from about 2006 till 2012 in my parents garage. Why? We dunno - we didnt' want to get rid of it.

As ya grow up priorities change and I had to sell the v6 Camaro for a more practical family car. Marriage > kid > military.

A few years ago I purchased an 84 Z28 HO that I mentioned in my first post. The car is in pretty good shape for only having 75k miles. Unfortunately it sat outside most of its life so the paint was really faded but aside from a bad quadrajet/sensors, it ran really fine. I won't fill up a lot of space with the details but here are a few pictures.

The engine build is not yet finished. It runs/ran but the carb has been sent off to SMI for a rebuild and SpeedTek in Ft. Worth will be fine tuning it for me. Unfortunately it is in Texas and I am stationed in NAS Pensacola so I don't get the fun of tinkering with it but my father is awesome enough to do some of the little things for me for the time being.

Last edited by Thumpin305; 09-03-2013 at 01:26 PM.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:58 PM
On The Tree

Fast forward to last month and I finally found another 02 that was in fantastic shape. I looked for about a year before I found a car that was very low miles and was actually in good shape.

Here's a shameless copy and paste from my other thread.

2002 Z28 M6 with 17k miles, 100% documentation, and VERY well taken care of. It's a custom ordered car with multiple SLP options.

SLP subframes
SLP CAI
SLP Y-pipe
SLP Loudmouth (I put the original exhaust on. LM1 is WAY too loud. I have the LM2 on the 84 so I might pick up another one for the 02)
SLP Skip Shift
SLP Strut Brace
SLP LCA
SLP Shifter
SLP Auburn Differential
SLP SS Wheels
Lowering Springs
Kee Audio Speakers
Roof was painted under 'good will' for a bubbling issue with the paint. All V8s have a black roof while the V6s had theirs body painted. I've always like the V6 look better so, though this isn't original, I'm ok with it.

[IMG][/IMG]

And my favorite picture. He calls it 'Dad's fast Carraro'
[IMG][/IMG]

And finally a picture of ALL the original parts to the car, and believe me when I say all.
[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Thumpin305; 09-03-2013 at 01:26 PM.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:13 PM
On The Tree

Yes, all the seats had towels on them. Instantly knew I was going to buy it when I saw that.

My Harley VRod (DD) and the new toy.

It came with a LM1 exhaust but it's so dang loud so the factory catback was put back on. I'm still debating on what I want to do. I would LOVE to have SLP dual/dual but I have yet to find on that is completely intact with all the parts. I found one in Florida that is very nice looking but sans tips and I-pipe. Eventually I'll give up and get a LM2 (I have that on my 84 and loved it for the 10 miles I've driven it since the rebuild) or the GMMG if I can convince myself to spend that much on some metal pipes.

Between the military and the family very little time will get to be spent on my car so as time and money permit this is my wishlist.

SLP Lowering springs and shocks - I actually want to raise it oh-so-slightly and I was a huge fan of the HD Bilsteins on my 02 v6.
Catback - LM2, Dual/Dual, GMMG with factory tips
Headers - SLP or coated Kooks
GM SS Spoiler
Rotor/Pad/Line upgrade
Port and Polish factory heads
GM Hot Cam upgrade + valvetrain
Leather with Orange Houndstooth from 6LE
Widen the rear 10 spokes to 11 inches
Wolfecraft 6 point - maybe? I remember really liking them 8 years ago.

I'm a huge fan of the sleeper look so aside from the wheels and spoiler nothing asthetically will be changed nor do I want it crazy loud.

This is going to be my running man diary for keepsakes and documentation purposes.

Last edited by Thumpin305; 09-03-2013 at 01:27 PM.
Old 08-16-2013, 11:31 PM
Staging Lane

Nice rides! Your new fourth gen is badass dude. SOM FTW!
Old 08-17-2013, 09:35 AM
TECH Resident

Looks good love my ss. Definitely get kooks. Mod list looks good. What springs are on it now
Old 08-17-2013, 01:10 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by buellxb12s
Looks good love my ss. Definitely get kooks. Mod list looks good. What springs are on it now
They are brand new, factory cut springs. They have about 4k miles on them.

I'm not a fan of cutting springs but for the time being they will have to stay.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:39 PM
On The Tree

My beautiful wife allowed/let/whatever me spend an entire weekend on the car. After washing the car in the torrential downpour here in Florida and driving to a friend's garage I was able to do a thorough detail.

Here's a picture after a few goes with Meguiar's clay bar. Notice the immediate shine.

I was astonished at the amount of junk that I got off of the rear bumper. Normally you get some very fine black specs but large amounts of brown turd stuff came off the bumper

Last edited by Thumpin305; 09-03-2013 at 01:28 PM.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:42 PM
On The Tree

A few more. Prep time, just like in paiting, really goes a long way.

Wax on - Wax off
Old 08-19-2013, 10:51 PM
On The Tree

And the mostly final product.

I used Meguiar's Gold Class Carnauba Plus. This stuff was awesome - highly recommend.

Finally I, well, my father, picked up an SLP dual/dual in fantastic shape back in Texas so in a few weeks I'll be making a trip out there to go pick it up. And to see family.... of course....

Last edited by Thumpin305; 09-03-2013 at 01:28 PM.
Old 09-03-2013, 01:35 PM
On The Tree

Look at what I picked up! I found a very nice SLP Dual/Dual from a forum member so while I was in Texas I picked it up and brought it back with me.

I believe this was a factory Dual/Dual so the over axle pipe is crushed in the usual spot

But lucky for me I still have the over axle piple from the LM1 system that my car came with and look at how perfectly these match up

I've measured everything and all the shop has to do is cut the two pieces correctly and every thing will hook up nicely. I refuse to have a hacked up looking exhaust so I'm going to make sure everything is done correctly.

Now this I didn't know when I originally went to go get the exhaust. The factory I-pipe was cut and repositioned in order to addapt it to a Texas Speed ORY. Well crap! I'm going to order a piece of SS 3" pipe to replace this part.

Hopefully I can get it installed by this weekend. Pictures and video to follow.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:45 PM
On The Tree

I was able to find the time (and $) to get my exhaust put on today. A local speed shop highly recommended Randy Jernigan in Cantonment, FL and within in hour he we were finished. I have nothing but praise for Randy and his attention to detail. His welds were phenomenal! WAAAAAAY better than what was done on my '84 Z28 back in Vegas.

This was my first time to be under the car since I've bought it. Everything is as expected for an 18k mile car.

A picture of the SLP Y-pipe

Since the SLP I-pipe had been modified by the original owner I bought a piece of 3" SS pipe from Flowmaster to replace the bent part.

Old 09-09-2013, 08:51 PM
On The Tree

The rear floorboard had to be massaged a little which surprised me. I was pretty sure you didn't have to do this with an SLP exhaust, but oh well.

I also need the rear exhaust hanger hardware from SLP. This was another oversight on my part. It works perfectly fine as is but I want it to be 100% correct.

And as soon as youtube stops failing I will post a start up video.

And with a new exhaust a fresh wash and detail is needed. I took this time for my and best friend to spend some time together. He's happy cleaning the tires the whole time but I got him away to help with the lights

Old 09-09-2013, 08:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Nice, I have a hard top som myself but v8, really digging your body colored top and sail panel though. Good find
Old 09-09-2013, 10:51 PM
On The Tree

As promised

I tried forever to embed it but for some reason I can't on LS1tech.... Works just fine on other sites...

Well nevermind. Apparently it works.

Last edited by Thumpin305; 09-09-2013 at 10:55 PM. Reason: I fail
Old 09-10-2013, 09:15 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looking good! Very nice and thorough explanation of how you're going through the car (which it doesn't seem like it needs much "going through").

Here's a subjective comment -- remove the side molding
Old 09-11-2013, 08:05 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by demonspeed
Looking good! Very nice and thorough explanation of how you're going through the car (which it doesn't seem like it needs much "going through").

Here's a subjective comment -- remove the side molding
Thanks! I would love to remove the side molding but I'm affraid of the residue that would be left behind and/or a change in the paint color due to the sun. It really doesn't bother me that much as is but my '84's side molding
Old 09-11-2013, 08:48 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Thumpin305
Thanks! I would love to remove the side molding but I'm affraid of the residue that would be left behind and/or a change in the paint color due to the sun. It really doesn't bother me that much as is but my '84's side molding
You'd be surprised how easy that stuff comes off. I yanked mine off at 65k miles. No difference in paint color, and with a hair dryer, the adhesive peeled right off. You could always put them back on if you don't like it. At the very least, pull off a rear quarter piece to see what's going on since that's the smallest to replace.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

You have/had some very clean rides my man, the SOM is by far my favorite though, you have it looking so clean. I would just leave it as is and drive it.
Old 09-13-2013, 12:13 PM
Teching In

nice man!

Quick Reply: 02 Z28 Man Diary