Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

1996 SS Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 03:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 SS Camaro

I was looking into buying one of these after reading about it in a muscle car book and after doing some searches on Craig's I saw repeated posts of production numbers and am now curious to how many of these cars were actually made and are authentic and any other tips that might help me identify a fraud since I really know nothing about SLP cars the book I think said there were upgraded performance parts like to the suspension and differential and a functioning ram air hood (Excuse me if I'm wrong) and 5 spoke SS wheels
(And by the way the information I'm asking about was not in the book I already checked)
Also how many of these cars were m6 with t-tops if anyone happens to know
Thanks in advance for any assistance
Old 09-27-2013, 08:18 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There's a thread that's stickied in either this forum or the Firebird section that lists all the production numbers. While I am not certain, I would assume the LT1 cars had the same RPO code WU8 which designate it as a SS (I'm sure someone can verify). Brangeta is essentially the guru for this stuff, so perhaps he'll be able to poke in.
Old 09-27-2013, 09:04 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by demonspeed
There's a thread that's stickied in either this forum or the Firebird section that lists all the production numbers. While I am not certain, I would assume the LT1 cars had the same RPO code WU8 which designate it as a SS (I'm sure someone can verify). Brangeta is essentially the guru for this stuff, so perhaps he'll be able to poke in.
Thanks I actually did something I should've done in the first place and googled it, I found out there were 2,410 made in 96' but 147 remained in Canada leaving 2,263 to us 1,344 of which were m6 out of 1,999 total coupes and another 655 were a4 and there were 264 convertibles
Old 09-28-2013, 07:46 PM
On The Tree

Yep 2410 made, SLP has a site now were you can enter the vin to verify the car. You can also see if the car has the SLP sticker in the driver and passenger door and one under the hood. They have the options listed on the sticker.

http://www.slpcamaro.com/

A base SS was the Hood with ram air, wing, and SS wheels.

Options
Upgraded two on the left exhaust
Torsen differential
Hurst shifter
Bilstein sport suspension
Comp TA R1 tires
Custom Z28/SS floor mats and car cover
Engine oil cooler
first 150ish cars had high flow exhaust manifolds, took SLP to long to hone them they cut it out.
Old 09-28-2013, 09:41 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 96ss1664
Yep 2410 made, SLP has a site now were you can enter the vin to verify the car. You can also see if the car has the SLP sticker in the driver and passenger door and one under the hood. They have the options listed on the sticker. http://www.slpcamaro.com/ A base SS was the Hood with ram air, wing, and SS wheels. Options Upgraded two on the left exhaust Torsen differential Hurst shifter Bilstein sport suspension Comp TA R1 tires Custom Z28/SS floor mats and car cover Engine oil cooler first 150ish cars had high flow exhaust manifolds, took SLP to long to hone them they cut it out.
Yeah that's pretty cool I just signed up for it so while I'm scouting I can check if someone's trying to give me the run around you never know with people these days, one time I ran across a guy with a v6 Camaro I think it was a 2000 and he had z28 badges on it
Old 09-28-2013, 10:57 PM
On The Tree

Good luck in finding one and its good to see people keeping the LT1 SS cars alive!
Old 09-29-2013, 12:12 AM
Teching In

Thanks

Quick Reply: 1996 SS Camaro