Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

New owner of a 99 Camaro SS

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 02:35 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New owner of a 99 Camaro SS

Hey guys, new member and new owner of a red 1999 Camaro SS. Long first post upcoming:

I bought the car about a month ago on an impulse. I had just sold my 1991 GMC Syclone and had money burning a hole in my pocket.

I got the car home and started digging a little deeper than the car sales guy was letting me on the lot and I found a lot of attention was needed with this thing. The suspension was totally jacked and sat so low it scraped on everything - the shocks were blown out and it had Eibach Sportlines on it. The engine has been out of it at some point and every clip and clamp is either broken or missing. There are thousands of zip ties holding things together, etc, etc, etc. It's been a steep learning curve.

The car came with some no-name, stainless LTH on it, but they are pretty banged up from the low ride height. Also the driver side header sits right up against the K-member and bangs like crazy, so I'm taking them off and going back to factory(ish).

I found a guy with a 2001 Trans Am who is trading me his set of OEM springs and 2001 exhaust manifolds for the LTH's I'm taking off.

With the headers on there, I am obviously now missing the cats and will need a new post-manifold solution. There are no emissions regulations in Idaho, so I will not be going through the expense of putting a new set of cats on it.

This points me to an ORY to mate up to the 01 manifolds. I've read mixed reviews on the Walker/Dynomax 88028 ORY, but it seems that's all that is available under $400. Does anyone have experience with this Y-pipe and any mods needed to make it fit nice, or should I tow it to an exhaust shop and get something custom made? Expense is of some concern here.

I'm not looking for a high horsepower track car, just a nice, driveable street machine to have fun in during the nice weather.

Thanks.

Last edited by tophatjimmy; 11-07-2013 at 02:45 PM.
Old 11-07-2013, 04:12 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats on the pickup. I hate uncovering things like that after a purchase, that's why being thorough is important.

Eibach Sportlines suck so I don't blame you for wanting to go back to stock, but once it's sitting like a 4x4 again you'll want a decent set of lowering springs.

As far as the Y-Pipe and stock manifolds...don't waste your time. If the headers are all banged up and one is hitting the K you might as well grab a new set. For the $400 you're considering on an ORY, you can damn near have a new set of LT's AND an ORY. Do a little research. Might as well do the motor mounts while you're there too.

Good luck, you'll probably get more input posting up in a more specific part of the forum (Gen III External Engine) for the exhaust.
Old 11-07-2013, 12:35 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd also suggest getting a new set of headers. Pacesetters are cheap and they fit awesome. You can then get a TSP or Speed Engineering y-pipe for ~$140.
Old 11-07-2013, 01:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Like the others have said, do yourself a favor and do not put the factory manifolds back on. i know you just want a nice driver, but you are loosing some really easy hp/torque and throttle response. Aslo IMO get the car on a dyno asap to make sure everything is right (who knows if there is some **** tune on that thing, possibly causing reliability issues down the road).
Also do yourself a big favor and do not replace the shocks with autozone/oem garbage, they ride and handle terrible. Get yourself some bilstiens or Konis:
http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...D=20&ModelID=7
Old 11-07-2013, 09:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice to know I'm not the only one with a new (to me) 99 Z bought it a week ago. Best of Luck.

Quick Reply: New owner of a 99 Camaro SS