Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

00 z-28 cold air intake basic questions

Old 11-27-2013, 02:51 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 00 z-28 cold air intake basic questions

Hey guys i am noob so please dont kill me. I have a few basic questions so i can get my knowledge up.

First off I live in Texas and my DD is an a4 2000 z28 with 119k on the clock. Car is bone stock just has pipes.

My first question what lid is the best to go with on this car in terms of HP and fuel economy? I have read positive things about both the fast toys product , and the SLP lid. I did how ever read that the fast toys is more difficult to fit because it is not OEM size.

My second question is once i put the cold air lid on can i also add a cold air intake ? i was thinking of adding a volant air intake to my car. I would also like to hear what other intakes you guys would recommend also.

my last question is about the ram air intake that goes underneath the car. If i installed the ram air intake under neath the car would that mean i would no longer have room for a transmission cooler? Where i live at in Texas it gets over a 100 degrees daily and the humidity can get a bit high also. I do not dog my car out but i do like to run it on the high way from time to time. So would you guys use that space for a transmission cooler or for the air induction ?Do you guys in the southern states especially Texas,Florida,Louisiana think a tranny cooler is a priority ? my first priority on mods is ensure the longevity of my DD.

thanks guys .
Old 11-27-2013, 09:40 AM
On The Tree

When you say Volant are you talking about this?

If so that is just a different design but sits in the same spot as a lid, so it's either a lid or that. If you do go with the volant, it cannot use a ram air since it's sealed on the bottom, so unless you cut that out, buying a ram air would be useless. Also, it wouldn't be ram air since all the air would just go into the engine bay not directly to the engine intake. You need a lid for that.

As for lids, while I have never installed a fast toys lid, the only benefit is like you said, a larger snout. Do you plan on upgrading your intake manifold? If so, you might as well get the big fast toys lid so you have the big snout available.

For the ram air, it's been a while since I was looking into buying one, but I don't believe they interfere with the trans cooler. I know they have some that only work with the ac out, but I forget about the tranny cooler. After a search I didn't find anything about relocating it.
Old 11-27-2013, 06:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I have a SLP lid on both my LS f cars and put one in my sisters WS6... they are cheap and do the SAME thing. If you have a big cam and FAST intake... maybe it might help on the top end. Save some money and buy the SLP lid.
Old 11-27-2013, 06:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

BTW I live in FL and SOCAL
Old 11-27-2013, 06:36 PM
Staging Lane

^ cool ... so do you also have a cold air induction package ?

To be honest , I do not see myself replacing the intake anytime soon since its my DD . if the car had lower miles i would do that or does have 119k on the clock not matter ?

what would you guys go with as a combo ?

I am thinking that the cold air induction package that a member on here sells is my best bet as of now. Lid , and the cold air induction that I install under the car... Would that mod have noticeable gains ?
Old 11-28-2013, 02:37 PM
On The Tree

Ya, if you don't plan on upgrading the intake manifold then just go with the SLP. Like the other guy said, the difference is negligible, some just get it when they have 102mm intake snouts and larger MAF's. Miles shouldn't matter though for the manifold upgrade. I've got 130,000 miles on my LS1, upgrading to the LS6 intake this spring.

Edit: Did not know the FTP lid was $100 more than the SLP, definitely go SLP, did not know it was that much more.

Last edited by Z28SLPCAMAROZ28; 11-28-2013 at 08:33 PM.
Old 11-28-2013, 02:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

SLP lid and a SSRA will do you well

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 00 z-28 cold air intake basic questions