Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

1996 Z28 lt1 t56 good first car To buy and build?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2013, 08:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1996 Z28 lt1 t56 good first car To buy and build?

So I am Fairly new to this forum, join in September, and haven't done much. But like i said i am lookin at a 1996 Z28 lt1 manual camaro. I think that was the last year of the opti-spark right? Any who, the seller said $2000. He said it isn't starting. It may be the starter possibly and that it couldn't be the distributor because he "replaced" last year. Any who. Would it be worth it if it was only the starter, you can get some pretty good performance bolt ons for more hp. Headers, exhaust, performer rpm intake, comp cam .570+ lift intake and almost .589 exhaust and then toss in a 3.73 or higher rear end posi. Including the $50ish for the starter and then an extra $1500 for parts right? What I wanna know will it be a worth investment? I'm 18 And a huge chevy fan! Help!
Old 11-28-2013, 08:34 PM
On The Tree

price dont sound bad if its a simple fix and the car is in decent shape.The only limiting factor to how much power it can make depends on how deep your pockets are.I would start with some gears 390 or 410 ,headers ,and a tune and go from there.Thats if it runs good after you get it running that is.Good luck
Old 11-28-2013, 09:23 PM
Teching In

So instead of getting the intake and cam and all of that fancy stuff, go with a higher rear end, tune it and chip it along with exhaust is a better way to go?

Here's the Camaro
http://corvallis.craigslist.org/cto/4083124948.html

Last edited by YoungZman; 11-28-2013 at 09:26 PM. Reason: More info
Old 11-29-2013, 10:14 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

'tune' and 'chip' are not going to give you the power that most claim with the lt1. id be leary about any car that doesnt start more than anything. you can find some in decent shape in that price range mayber upwards a few hundred, but at least running. if u can, save a little more and move up to LS1 4th gens, way more potential per dollar. just my opinions, and what ive learned. if u cant wait, at least find a running example and build it from that.
Old 11-29-2013, 10:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the lt1 cars are a pain in the *** to find gremlins.. i would know. not to mention you can make power so much easier out of the ls based motors. but seriously you can go through a few of the opti sparks very easily. something as simple as going through an automated car wash in an lt1 car can ruin your opti spark. so he very well may have done it last week but if the opti spark thinks about getting wet your car will act like its having a seizure and or not work at all... like i said best bang for the buck would be to continue saving or buy a ls1 car (98-2002) z28 or ss camaro.. more than likely a z28 would be cheaper and is the same car basically. you can find a 98 on here and or craigslist sometimes for around the same price you were looking at that car. just gotta stick with it and dont jump on the first thing thats shiny. read the forums a bit more on both the lt1 and the ls1 cars. honestly the lt1 cars are so much fun (extreme sarcasm) that people are putting sbc style distributors on em. lets not even get into what you need to do for an intake to make some decent power.
Old 11-30-2013, 12:19 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by YoungZman
So I am Fairly new to this forum, join in September, and haven't done much. But like i said i am lookin at a 1996 Z28 lt1 manual camaro. I think that was the last year of the opti-spark right? Any who, the seller said $2000. He said it isn't starting. It may be the starter possibly and that it couldn't be the distributor because he "replaced" last year. Any who. Would it be worth it if it was only the starter, you can get some pretty good performance bolt ons for more hp. Headers, exhaust, performer rpm intake, comp cam .570+ lift intake and almost .589 exhaust and then toss in a 3.73 or higher rear end posi. Including the $50ish for the starter and then an extra $1500 for parts right? What I wanna know will it be a worth investment? I'm 18 And a huge chevy fan! Help!
HAHAHAHHAHAHAH.... *sigh*

That's a good one.

Quick Reply: 1996 Z28 lt1 t56 good first car To buy and build?