Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

transplanting a 00 ss 10 bolt into a 98

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 06:17 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transplanting a 00 ss 10 bolt into a 98

How would that work? im still new to the camaro scene so i dont know rear ends. anyway i found a 10 bolt posi with 3.4 gearing from a ss for sale from a 00 and wanna put it in my 98 a4 z28. would it just bolt up in place of my current one? and since its geared do i need a better stall. Its a good deal i found used so i might buy it instead of buying a new one like planned. Thanks in advance
Old 02-22-2014, 08:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by RoccoNewf
How would that work? im still new to the camaro scene so i dont know rear ends. anyway i found a 10 bolt posi with 3.4 gearing from a ss for sale from a 00 and wanna put it in my 98 a4 z28. would it just bolt up in place of my current one? and since its geared do i need a better stall. Its a good deal i found used so i might buy it instead of buying a new one like planned. Thanks in advance
Yes, they physically interchange. You need to make sure what type of channel rear end you have and what type he has. A 4 channel rear came on our cars when you had traction control while a 3 channel rear came on cars without traction control. They can interchange, but it's usually easiest if you just match them up from the get-go. Look in the Gears & Axles subsection for more information, especially in the stickies. Lots of info there.

Your questions are answered in here! Look here first!

and

Converting a 4 channel to a 3 w/ pics.
Old 02-22-2014, 01:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by RoccoNewf
Before you go and do that, I gotta ask, why?
There is no benefit what so ever of doing this. If you want 3.42 gears then buy the gear set and put it in your rear.
Old 02-23-2014, 03:57 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Before you go and do that, I gotta ask, why?
There is no benefit what so ever of doing this. If you want 3.42 gears then buy the gear set and put it in your rear.
price of the gears and installing them. This one I am looking at already has 3.42 gears

Quick Reply: transplanting a 00 ss 10 bolt into a 98