Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Keep the LS1 Camaro or buy an LT4 Corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 12:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keep the LS1 Camaro or buy an LT4 Corvette?

I'm considering selling my 1998 M6 LS1 Camaro Z28 with 60k miles on it. It is basically stock, but I had the brakes, struts, shocks, flywheel, slave cylinder, and clutch replaced last year. So although it isn't modded, I have a fair bit of money into it considering I have only owned it for a year, and I see it unlikely that anything else is going to go wrong with it again anytime soon (knock on wood). If I sold it, I'd be going after one of my dream cars. A 1996 M6 LT4 Corvette. I'd want one in mint condition with under 60k miles and it would have to be a 1996 and a manual. Do you guys think it is a good move or a dumb idea? Also what is the performance difference like between the two cars? I'm guessing that an LT4 Corvette is slightly faster than an LS1 Camaro, but the difference is minimal?

I don't race often (I think in total the Camaro made less than 10 passes last year). I don't abuse my cars, and I recently bought a very practical car, so the Camaro or the Corvette would just be Sunday drivers. (Last year from about April until the start of October the Camaro was a daily driver). Although, even as a daily driver I only put 6k miles on it.

Anyways, sorry for the long post, but just wanted to hear some opinions.
Old 04-04-2014, 06:25 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

if the vette is your dream car get it. You have more potential with ls1 car as far as speed. But with some mods the vette will run good too.
Old 04-04-2014, 07:36 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The thing with a c4 is the handling. I have personally never driven one but would imagine it would make your camaro feel like a boat. Lt4's are strong runners too. It's up to you. Honestly as much as you pay for that 96 though you could probably get a c5.
Old 04-04-2014, 07:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It all depends on the mileage and condition of the Corvette. My friend has a C4. It's a nice car, looks great, runs like a champ, but has a lot of miles. I have personally replaced the clutch, driveshaft, and exhaust with him. Working on these things is a pain in the @$$ any way you look at it or anything you have to do. You have less potential for power and straight line racing and of course parts are harder to find and more expensive. Handling in the Vette of course will be better in a stock to stock comparison, but suspension is very easy to upgrade and make huge improvements on F-Bodies(camaros/firebirds).

BUT!!!!!!!! If you don't race much(as you stated), the car is in good condition(which you're looking for), and it's a dream you want and will cherish then it will be worth it for you! It will get more looks from the general public, be worth more in the long run if you ever sell it, and it's generally a very cool car! It's a corvette! I think for you it would not be a dumb idea as long as you find a good buy! Good luck with it man!
Old 04-04-2014, 02:11 PM

Well, I put a bit more thought into it, and I think I am going to list the Camaro, but list it quite high. People seem to be asking ridiculously money for LS1 6 speed F-bodies right now. So I'm going to list outrageously high at $15,499 (well at least in my opinion it is high, but most of the LS1 6 speed f-bodies in Alberta are going for $12,000-$17,000 with the highest being $24,000 and the lowest being $10,000). None of them even have any spectacular redeeming qualities. I figure if I can get $15,500 for the Camaro, I'll be close to LT4 category. Around here (if and when you can find an LT4 Corvette) it usually goes for about $17,000. V6 F-bodies are selling for $8,000. Prices are outrageous at the moment. $17,000 for a Corvette I understand, but really, some people think a low mileage automatic 35th Anniversarry SS Camaro is worth $23,500? I really don't think so, but obviously most people think they are worth a ridiculous amount at the moment, so I guess it is worth trying to sell it.
Old 04-04-2014, 06:04 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Forgive my ignorance, but are those prices us or Canadian?
Old 04-04-2014, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by metalmilitia606
Forgive my ignorance, but are those prices us or Canadian?
Your ignorance is forgiven lol, but yes it is Canadian. I think Canadian's don't know what depreciation is. Here is a link to a Trans Am that should give you a good laugh. It is a nice looking car, but I don't think it will ever be $40,000 worth of nice.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/m...ationFlag=true
Old 04-04-2014, 06:42 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default lol

Maybe in 50 yrs?
Old 04-04-2014, 07:11 PM

So, digressing subjects, anyone know how an LT4 Corvette runs against an LS1 Camaro? Am I right in my guess of pretty close with the edge to the Corvette? Straight line, stock to stock race obviously. Not necessarily quarter mile, I'd be interested to know from a roll, quarter mile, etc.

Last edited by Cody Miller; 04-04-2014 at 07:11 PM. Reason: mistake
Old 04-04-2014, 10:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Between me and my buddy I mentioned earlier we both have the same mods. Catback exhaust, intake free mods, stage 2 clutch, and short shifter. I put about 2 car lengths on him on a roll and about 3 to 4 from a dig.
Old 04-05-2014, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by KissMyTushZ28
Between me and my buddy I mentioned earlier we both have the same mods. Catback exhaust, intake free mods, stage 2 clutch, and short shifter. I put about 2 car lengths on him on a roll and about 3 to 4 from a dig.
I must say that surprises me. I would've really expected the Corvette to have the edge, especially from a dig. Would you say that you and your buddy are comparable drivers?
Old 04-05-2014, 06:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Cody Miller
I must say that surprises me. I would've really expected the Corvette to have the edge, especially from a dig. Would you say that you and your buddy are comparable drivers?
To be honest no. I definitely have the driver mod, but it's just from having more experience. He's more of a bike rider which he is very good at. I would say he is decent though, he doesn't miss gears, he knows what gear to be in for rolls and he has decent starts. He doesn't blow the tires off in a ricer rev limiter launch, he keeps the rpms low and rolls out but he could do better with more practice.

Quick Reply: Keep the LS1 Camaro or buy an LT4 Corvette?