Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Key stuck!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 07:36 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key stuck!!!

Hi I'm new to this site and already in need of help. I have a 1994 V-6 5-Speed with the key stuck in the ON position. The car starts and runs fine, but the key won't budge. When parked, I have to unplug the battery as not to drain it. When driving, the INOP ABS and SECURITY lights stay on, the AIR BAG light blinks, but no other electronics work, i.e. turn signals, power windows or locks, interior fan or A/C. If I pull down the steering wheel like I'm turning on the hi beams while it's running the instrument lights come on and go off like on normal start up. The A/C and the blower comes on too, but when released, it stops. Any suggestions or helpful tips to get my key out?
Old 04-09-2014, 08:16 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you pushing the button on the column when turning the key off?
Old 04-10-2014, 01:08 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by coleon76
Hi I'm new to this site and already in need of help. I have a 1994 V-6 5-Speed with the key stuck in the ON position. The car starts and runs fine, but the key won't budge. When parked, I have to unplug the battery as not to drain it. When driving, the INOP ABS and SECURITY lights stay on, the AIR BAG light blinks, but no other electronics work, i.e. turn signals, power windows or locks, interior fan or A/C. If I pull down the steering wheel like I'm turning on the hi beams while it's running the instrument lights come on and go off like on normal start up. The A/C and the blower comes on too, but when released, it stops. Any suggestions or helpful tips to get my key out?
Try taking apart the steering column. Best advice I can give you is to see if there is something holding the key in there.
Old 04-10-2014, 10:40 AM
Teching In

I can't push the button in. It is completely stuck in the ON position and won't move. I've tried to jiggle, push in, pull out, and still nothing. Tried the WD-40 twice too.
Old 04-12-2014, 10:44 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you may try wiggling the shifter while jiggling they key, it may not be registering that its in park, also press brake pedal make sure its in park all the way
Old 04-28-2014, 03:37 PM
Teching In

Sorry fr the delayed response. My car is a manual, the wiggle in park brake method doesn't work on a stick, but thanks. I ended up taking it to a shop to get the ignition replaced. The damn key was still stuck in the tumbler, it still would not come out after he removed it!! No one had ever seen that before, I should have taken a picture of it!! Thanks everyone for the advice. Now I have to figure out how to get that security light off.

Quick Reply: Key stuck!!!