Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

NEED HELP UNIQUE serurity light always on sometimes key won't turn car off 1st time

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 06:49 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy NEED HELP UNIQUE serurity light always on sometimes key won't turn car off 1st time

I have ran into a problem that seems to be common at first the
SECURITY LIGHT STAYING ON PROBLEM.

I have read so many forums and guides on how to fix and have tried all of them expect bypass yet id like to avoid that. What is weird is that the light came on one day out of the blue and nothing seemed to be affected, as well I was in my last month of last semester in college so it wasn't a big deal its starts and drives everyday. Up until I graduated and spent some time away without it running 3-4 days and the battery was dead. It charged the battery and all was fine until it didn't get started for a few days. I took battery off had AZ test ad charge put on and now all is well expect sometimes when I turn key off it stays on have to do twice. Im not sure what to make of it I don't wanna ignore the problem.

The things ive tried correct me if im doing wrong
1.cleaning key, turning on until light wen't out but how long is too long? (most ive done is 20 mins)

2.spare key same trick as 1

3.sequence of on for 1o mins, off for 30 seconds, 6 times
wastes allot of time. (ive heard you have to get a OBII type of scanner to reset I don't the name any help? Id pay to get it reset but tool is $1200 used)

Sorry for long story any help i greatly appreciate.
Old 06-14-2014, 01:15 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Need to replace the lock cylinder. The failure occured after the last key cycle once the vehicle received a successful theft enable signal. The default is to turn on the security light and the bcm disables the passlock to prevent leaving a vehicle stranded.

As far as the vehicle not turning off when you turn the key off chances are the ignition rack in the column is about to break and it is currently cracked.
Old 06-14-2014, 12:55 PM
Staging Lane

OK that makes sense now gotta find part, how hard is installation?
I can do semi hard jobs but wiring and electric are not my favorite.
never broken down a steering column so idk..

Thanks again 01WS6/tamu

I'm an Aggie too I just saw it realized in your user name.
Old 06-15-2014, 04:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Where about's in s texas are you
Old 06-16-2014, 04:02 PM
Staging Lane

In San Antonio

Originally Posted by 01WS6/tamu
Need to replace the lock cylinder. The failure occured after the last key cycle once the vehicle received a successful theft enable signal. The default is to turn on the security light and the bcm disables the passlock to prevent leaving a vehicle stranded.

As far as the vehicle not turning off when you turn the key off chances are the ignition rack in the column is about to break and it is currently cracked.

Quick Reply: NEED HELP UNIQUE serurity light always on sometimes key won't turn car off 1st time