Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Parts NOT to replace with aftermarket components!

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 01:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parts NOT to replace with aftermarket components!

Hi all,

I wanted to reverse the way we think for a second and allow people to chime in on what components/parts that come stock with the Camaros are better than aftermarket parts. We all get so caught up with aftermarket modifications that I believe we can start to believe that everything stock sucks and everything aftermarket is always going to add more performance/reliability to our vehicles.

It would be nice to see some people talk about what parts that come stock with our Camaros are better/more reliable than aftermarket parts. For instance, is there any one part that is stock that should be replaced directly with the same part (ordered from GM) instead of going aftermarket through some third party company.

Does GM put better parts in the Camaro than what aftermarket vendors have to offer? If so, which parts?
Old 07-23-2014, 01:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

I don't think people really understand what you're looking for here. Are you saying stock exhaust manifolds are better than aftermarket headers? A stock 4L60 is better than a built 4L80? A stock profile LS1 cam is better than anything made by Pat G, Texas-Speed, Lunati, Edelbrock, etc? What do you define as dependable? There are many people out there who have had stock components fail on them and there are many out there who cheaped out on aftermarket and had that stuff fail too. If you replace a part with junk, it's going to continue breaking. Some stuff is way better quality than others, sure. If you replace a part with a quality piece and maintain your vehicle, you will be fine. For the most part, many aftermarket parts from reputable businesses are of the same quality or better than anything GM put out.
Old 07-23-2014, 02:12 PM
On The Tree

This is a GREAT question; thanks for asking!

I'd have to go with the "stock" TOTL mufflers on early fourth-gen Camaro SS's. Even though they were made and installed by the good folks at SLP, I think that one could classify them as "stock" because they came with the cars people bought directly from GM dealers. To my ears, the TOTL mufflers sound great; from what I've read, they flow really well, too.

Also, I've yet to hear about or see a poor-fitting factory/SLP "stock" Camaro SS hood, spoiler, center-mount exhaust bumper or WS6 hood (although I'm certain that some folks will have encountered some examples of each). Conversely, I've seen many after-market offerings of the same pieces that don't have the same obvious build quality that the stock components have.

Lastly — and let me preface my comment by acknowledging that most people are going to slam me for making it — I personally love the look and ride quality of my stock 16" chromed five-spoke rims, and I wouldn't trade them for any aftermarket alternative(s). (Yes, I know — there's one in every bunch.)
Old 07-23-2014, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by TechCam97
Are you saying stock exhaust manifolds are better than aftermarket headers? A stock 4L60 is better than a built 4L80? A stock profile LS1 cam is better than anything made by Pat G, Texas-Speed, Lunati, Edelbrock, etc?
I think what he may be asking about is any of the accessory-type components such as water pumps (electric would be better than stock but not the point), brake boosters, AC compressors, alternators, and similar components where it may be possible or even likely the AC Delco could be better than the aftermarket. I suppose it all depends on your definition of "better" though.

EDIT: Gaskets! Can't forget gaskets.

Last edited by WheelOfFourthGen; 07-23-2014 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Thought of an even better example: gaskets.
Old 07-23-2014, 02:21 PM
On The Tree

I think I get what you are asking. A couple parts come to mind.

Smooth bellow mod if done for performance. (specifically the ones that cost $60+)

MSD ignition coils. https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ock-coils.html
Old 07-23-2014, 05:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Opti-Spark. Get the OEM stuff, very expensive, but will last more than 5 minutes too.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:21 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Anything electronic I'd 1000% stick with GM/ACDelco. Personally, unless I'm upgrading, I will only buy the GM/AC stuff. I see no reason to change unless I am looking for performance.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:50 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,489 Likes on 1,072 Posts

If it's reliability you're looking for, OEM stuff is usually (yes, I know there are some exceptions) the best answer. Aftermarket parts don't often go through the same rigors of testing or quality control. Of course sometimes the very nature of an aftermarket part is to somehow improve upon the OE version while also offering better performance (such as a catback made from 304 stainless, to outlast the lower grade OE version as well as improve exhaust flow, but the trade-off there is that they don't always fit quite as well as stock.) Often times, aftermarket "upgrades" prioritize performance improvement without any definite improvement in longevity, or perhaps a decrease in longevity (either by cheaper build quality or by nature of their more aggressive operating parameters.) Then you have aftermarket parts that are just plain cheap, for those that want to keep an old junk car on the road for a bit longer but don't want to pay for quality.

Overall, it depends on the purpose. If you want OEM reliability, fitment and longevity, then in general you'll need to stick with OEM parts but then also settle for OEM performance. On rare occasion you might get lucky and find an aftermarket item that fits as well as stock, lasts as long or longer than stock, performs as good or better than stock, and is priced comparably or better than the OE version; this is more the exception than the rule though, in my experience.
Old 07-23-2014, 11:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

poly bushings for those of us that DD our cars many miles
Old 07-24-2014, 12:55 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just from research, and expert advise, the stock MAF, is zuppose to be better than wasting money on otherd
Old 07-24-2014, 12:59 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by hrcslam
Opti-Spark. Get the OEM stuff, very expensive, but will last more than 5 minutes too.
Old 07-24-2014, 01:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 62 Likes on 44 Posts

the rockers. many aftermarket ones are not needed with moderate cam lift. just the trunion upgrade is needed. also the stock mls gaskets for the exhaust are better when its time for lts. the ls6 intake is a good intake and supports alot of hp. the crank for the lt1 is pretty stout.
Old 07-24-2014, 06:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a '67 Camaro and I believe the glove box door and ashtray are the only stock items left on it (not sure about the ashtray). Everything else is aftermarket and better.
Old 07-24-2014, 10:51 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I like putting a little twist on things and talking about things that often go unsaid about the quality of our stock parts. I believe knowing which stock parts not to replace, becuase they are good enough is very valuable information for saving money and knowing what you really shouldn't mess with.
Old 07-24-2014, 02:39 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
If it's reliability you're looking for, OEM stuff is usually (yes, I know there are some exceptions) the best answer. Aftermarket parts don't often go through the same rigors of testing or quality control. Of course sometimes the very nature of an aftermarket part is to somehow improve upon the OE version while also offering better performance (such as a catback made from 304 stainless, to outlast the lower grade OE version as well as improve exhaust flow, but the trade-off there is that they don't always fit quite as well as stock.) Often times, aftermarket "upgrades" prioritize performance improvement without any definite improvement in longevity, or perhaps a decrease in longevity (either by cheaper build quality or by nature of their more aggressive operating parameters.) Then you have aftermarket parts that are just plain cheap, for those that want to keep an old junk car on the road for a bit longer but don't want to pay for quality.

Overall, it depends on the purpose. If you want OEM reliability, fitment and longevity, then in general you'll need to stick with OEM parts but then also settle for OEM performance. On rare occasion you might get lucky and find an aftermarket item that fits as well as stock, lasts as long or longer than stock, performs as good or better than stock, and is priced comparably or better than the OE version; this is more the exception than the rule though, in my experience.
This explanation is perfect. This is exactly what I was hoping someone would say. Everything seems to be a trade off in life doesn't it? You can't have your cake and eat it, too!
Old 07-27-2014, 07:14 PM
Staging Lane

Interesting stuff in here.
As previously mentioned, I've always hear stock gaskets to be excellent.
Also, commonly used is the stock ls7 lifters.
Old 07-31-2014, 01:01 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most small parts like sensors, gaskets, and accessories
Old 08-19-2014, 05:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

One of these items that I have read about would be replacing the stock strut mounts. I have read over and over again that the aftermarket ones fit like crap or break etc. I am looking at buying new ones for when i do my suspension upgrades...but can't find good enough reasoning to buy aftermarket ones.

Quick Reply: Parts NOT to replace with aftermarket components!