Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

2000 Camaro SS

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 07:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Camaro SS

Hello Ls1Tech,
Im new to this forum, and also to driving Ls1 powered vehicles.
For awhile now ,Ive been strictly a Stang enthusiast, Though I Always had a liking for Vettes. I recently sold my 35th Anniversary Mustang GT, my intent initially was to get a luxury sports sedan in place of the stang. I test drove a '01 Lexus Is300, '03 Infiniti G35, & a '04 Acura TL. All 3 were pretty nice and with the exception of the Is300, they were fairly quick,and quiet ,Quiet was something I wasnt accustomed to.

So then a 2000 Camaro SS came up for sale within my general area
(Automatic,with 70k), so I went and test drove that. I instantly knew that was the car I wanted, it was mean looking, mean sounding, and scary fast. Obviously it wasnt as luxury equipped (interior wise)as the G35, or TL, but the roar of the SS & knowing it would eat either of the 2 mentioned above alive, was the closing point for me. Like I said in the opening paragraph, I was a stang enthusiast for a minute, so the SS just seemed to suit me better than the foreigners.
That SS is what brought me to this forum, Ive been playing the background of LS1Tech (reading up and acquiring knowledge) for about 2 months now. I finally registered, so enough with the backdrop.

Outside of the power window motors, shotty dashes, leaky T-Tops, & speeding tickets, 1.what are common issues for a 2000 Camaro SS?

2.How are they in terms of reliability?

3.Being theres some vette parts used on them, I imagine theyre costly to fix?

Lastly the SS Im planning to buy is Navy Blue, but the SS logos on front,rear,and both fenders are black with red outline. I checked the vin # & for door jamb codes like y2y and wu8,and yes it had all that ,& vin checked out with GM & SLP as being a True SS .

4. Is it common for a '00 Camaro SS in navy blue to have Black SS badges with red outline? (All '00 Navy SS Ive seen have the ss badges with white or silver outline)

Thanks in advance for everyones help.

To simplify the answering, just respond to the questions by the sequence they was asked in.
Below is a 'In example'

Last edited by Freeality; 08-09-2014 at 07:26 PM.
Old 08-09-2014, 07:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

well the book standard catalog of camaro 67-2002 by john grunnell will help you with what is stock. if you buy it & want to make faster checkout may 2004 super chevy article ls1 dos & donts. if i was you i'd add air lid, cold air, 3200 circle D stall, bmr welded sfc, lca's w relo brackets. poly torque arm mount or new torque arm. then headers & tune. good 2 go! cheers!
Old 08-09-2014, 08:16 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by DANOZ28
3200 circle D stall, bmr welded sfc, lca's w relo brackets. poly torque arm mount or new torque arm. . good 2 go! cheers!
What in the h3ll did you just call me?! Lol ;-)

Thx for the input.
Old 08-10-2014, 03:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Freeality
2.How are they in terms of reliability?
Great, and like any car it depends on how well you maintain them and mod them.
The rear axle is a weak link when drag racing, also the auto trans isn't the strongest as well when adding more power. In stock form they will take just about anything you throw at them.

3.Being theres some vette parts used on them, I imagine theyre costly to fix?
No.
The only"vette parts" are the engine and transmission. Both of which are mass produced enough (and a simple enough design) that parts are really cheap, especially compared to other performance cars (and most aftermarket parts will yield you bigger power gains for less money than most cars)
Lastly the SS Im planning to buy is Navy Blue, but the SS logos on front,rear,and both fenders are black with red outline. I checked the vin # & for door jamb codes like y2y and wu8,and yes it had all that ,& vin checked out with GM & SLP as being a True SS .

4. Is it common for a '00 Camaro SS in navy blue to have Black SS badges with red outline? (All '00 Navy SS Ive seen have the ss badges with white or silver outline)
Ive seen this before but I don't know how common it is.
Old 08-11-2014, 03:10 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,489 Likes on 1,072 Posts

1. Bubbling roof panel. Every '99-'02 F-body will have this problem, as well as some of the 05/98 and later build date '98s. If the car has t-tops, this is a much easier and cheaper problem to fix, hard top would be more work and cost. Either way, the roof will need to be replaced if you want to remove the bubbles once they start. You can read up on this here: https://ls1tech.com/forums/paint-bod...e-dummies.html

Leaky t-tops are not common on the 4th gens, unless you're talking about a few drips from the corners when direct and extreme water pressure is applied (such as high pressure car wash). I've owned several of these cars, and none have shown any more than an occasional isolated drip during heavy rain or hand car wash. They are nothing like the 2nd or 3rd gens in terms of common leak issues (unless the weather stripping has gone bad, in which case replacement will cure the problem.)

2. Mechanically they are sound cars as long as they have been maintained. You might start to notice the idler and tensioner pullies chirp at around 90-100k (easy and cheap to replace), and LS1 engines often have some amount of audible piston slap at idle (this is a non-issue in terms of reliability or durability, but some people are annoyed by the sound.)

Axle/rear end issues are a much bigger concern for the M6 (manual) cars. Autos rarely break the rear in comparison, even when raced, so long as wheel hop can be avoided. Manuals have been known to break stock rears even with stock power levels when on sticky tires and launched hard. Autos have been known to 60-foot down into the 1.6-1.5 or even quicker range on the stock rear for considerable periods. I would not worry much about the rear with an auto car. The auto itself has no real reliability issues at stock power levels and with stock shift points and proper maintenance (such as fluid changes). Auto trans life can be further extended with the addition of an aftermarket trans cooler. Like any auto trans, if the car has been driven hard, has a lot of miles and/or questionable fluid maintenance then a trans rebuild will be needed at some point.

Reliability of modified examples is a different story. There is no rule for this, as too many variables exist (such as extent of modifications, quality of parts, quality of labor, and usage of the vehicle.) So when speaking of modified cars, it's better to discuss a specific car with specific information than to make general statements. Having said that, basic bolt-ons (such as exhaust and induction) have no ill effect on reliability and offer some performance gains for someone looking for just a bit more power than stock.

3. Replacement cost for common wear items is consistant with typical repair cost for other vehicles of this age. The "Corvette tax" isn't really present when it comes to the few parts (basically engine/trans only) that are shared between the platforms.

4. Those badges are not correct for an NBM (Navy Blue Metallic, RPO 28U) Camaro. Only the black Camaro SS should have had the red outlined badges, NBM cars should have silver. Someone likely changed them at some point.
Old 08-11-2014, 02:02 PM
Teching In

Default Gratitude !!!!! +2

Thanks for your input "JD"..

"RPM"
I Didnt know about bubbling roof issue, and was unsure of the ss color coordination with nbm.. Thanks

Quick Reply: 2000 Camaro SS