Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

DSE front subframe help

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2014, 11:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DSE front subframe help

So, I'm looking into a LS coversion for a 2nd gen, and I found a hooker swap kit for engine/trans/exhaust... but it claims it wont work without using all the parts together, and I just want the tranny crossmember because I want to use the DSE front subframe... Is the DSE subframe all that and then some? or do I not even need it for a high horsepower beastie? This car is going to be a street carwith occasional trips down to Mission raceway.

Last edited by trevmust; 09-27-2014 at 11:05 PM. Reason: damn spelling errors... :P
Old 09-27-2014, 11:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Looking closer at the DSE page it seems like the subframe is pretty well stock, but the suspension is beefed up? Really hope someone feels bad for this noob and doesn't look down on me for such silly questions lol
Old 09-29-2014, 07:16 AM
Launching!

It's a nice piece, but they don't give it away huh? i think "I" would try my luck with the Hooker stuff unless you are building a max effort Pro-touring type ride and money is no object. Just my opinion.
Old 09-29-2014, 02:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

so other than the suspension upgrade their subframe offers no real advantage? according to the hooker instruction the dse subframe already aligns the engine, but they still say to use their mounts. I even asked them in email n that is what they said.
Old 09-29-2014, 02:58 PM
10 Second Club

Received 106 Likes on 94 Posts

Call them up and ask first hand.....They are great at doing what they do and have done more than a few LS swaps also.
They can tell you what works with their stuff
Old 10-03-2014, 08:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The DSE subframe is among the best, if not the best, on the market. Much different than stock subframe & suspension setup. Hydroformed construction, splined sway bar, C6 spindles & hubs, coil over shocks, modern steering, and excellent suspension geometry with near zero bump steer. The 2nd gen stock subframe and suspension is better than first gem stuff, and can be made to work well with a quality set of tubular control arms, spindle, and coil over shock. The hooker engine swap parts are nice, but they are designed for a stock subframe and will not work in a DSE frame. The DSE uses a rack & pinion, not a stock style steering box. Thus, you have a very limited choice on headers that will fit. DSE makes them specifically for their frame, but they are not cheap (but excellent headers). If going with DSE frame it would be best to use their engine mount setup. You can probably save some $ by sourcing your own power steering lines/fittings as well as the steering shaft & U-joints. I believe the DSE 2nd gen frame uses a first gen trans crossmember, but I'm not 100% sure on that. Brakes- any C5 or C6 brakes will bolt on to the DSE spindles.
Scott
Old 10-04-2014, 01:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah, DSE says their subframe is based on a first gen, so if thats the case I need a first gen t56 crossmember right? (pretty sure thats more common anyways isnt it? )
Old 10-04-2014, 01:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

would it be better for me to use a mechanical linkage for a t56 or no? seems harder to figure out, but less headaches in the end?
Old 10-04-2014, 07:41 AM
Teching In

I put a ls1 and T-56 in my 72 Camaro. I used some Ebay motor mounting plates appox 35.00. These put the motor in the stock location with this I did the cross member mod withch is cutting the mount tab off and raising it up 1.75" up and rewelded it. I used dynatech headers witch fit really well. Note I have drug them Once but my car sits really low. make sure you use a F-body pan. with the motor in the stock location I was able to mount the coil packs behind the heads witch makes a cleaner look.

Old 10-04-2014, 01:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

im going to use a mast pan. i might need to make custom engine mounts if i cant find a 1st gen crossmember.
Old 10-04-2014, 10:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd speak with mast once you decide which subframe you are going to use. If you go DSE, use thier mounts. If using stock 2nd gen sub, ask mast which mounts to use. The instructions will likely specify which ones. I've never done a 2nd gen, wish I could be of more help.
Old 10-04-2014, 11:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the dse site says use mast pans or the hotrod pan kit.
Old 10-05-2014, 12:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

anyways, as long as i find a 1st gen trans crossmember im all good.

Quick Reply: DSE front subframe help