Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

73 Trans Am turbo LQ4 swap

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 06:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 73 Trans Am turbo LQ4 swap

The brand new 462ci Pontiac turbo gas engine making 1200 hp @ 15 psi is coming out....to swap in a similar hp level turbo LQ4. In fact, I just bought it from forum member mailman. Trans will be a 4L80e when I get to it.

Obviously a big question is going to be exhaust manifolds. I am going to try to make a set of truck manifolds with v-bands work (I hope). The engine has a Moroso rear sump oil pan that was used for its installation in a 94 TA, so I can probably re-use that.

My questions center around what motor mounts you think I should use and why? Also, what accessory drive setup?....I want to keep AC.

Thanks

Here is the car...

http://www.americantorque.com/page/0/62/
Old 09-28-2014, 08:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used the Hooker engine mount plates and crossmember and couldn't be happier in my 72 bird. It sets the engine back a little bit, but it's exactly where you want it with plenty breathing room. Bolted in easy no hassle. Here's a thread on them
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-hybrids/1648961-new-hooker-2nd-gen-f-body-ls-swap-components-now-released.html?styleid=27
Old 09-28-2014, 09:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Lower...what accessories did you use on the front of the engine, and do you have AC?
Old 09-28-2014, 10:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Aron Kerner
Thanks Lower...what accessories did you use on the front of the engine, and do you have AC?
I'm having to use cstv accessories because of the zl1 blower and because of the low mount alternator, I had to notch 1.5" into the subframe. No way a ls style ac compressor would fit low on the passenger side. I'd suggest looking at aftermarket accessory drive with the ac compressor up high. I'm personally not bothering with a/c at least for now.

Quick Reply: 73 Trans Am turbo LQ4 swap