Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

1st gen Camaro LS practical as daily driver?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 10:34 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st gen Camaro LS practical as daily driver?

My daily driver Cavalier gave up the ghost this weekend. It's probably not worth the cost to repair as it pretty much is a beater cosmetically and has 200k miles on it. I'm looking at a replacement car and probably will have to spend a few to several thousand dollars to replace it. So here is something I am considering. I have a pretty solid 68 Camaro and a 49,xxx mile 5.3l and 4l60e sitting on a stand in my garage. With a full suspension and brake upgrade and the LS swap, it seems this might be a better option that spending 5 -7k in a car that will be worth nothing in 5 years. I've never driven a 1st gen with a quality after market suspension. Can these cars with this upgrade be made dependable and trouble free enough to use as a daily driver... Including occasional 100-200 mile trips? What's been the experience of those having done the swap?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts
Old 10-21-2014, 08:38 AM
Teching In

I would say it depends in your situation and where you live. If you don't go crazy with power, and live down south, sure. I daily drovecstuff like that all the time in NC.

If you have a heavy traffic commute, run an automatic.
Old 10-21-2014, 11:34 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,069 Posts

This sort of thing is all climate dependent, IMO. One factual area where older cars are vastly inferior, with little room for practical improvement, is weather resistance. If you live somewhere like me (Chicago), it won't take long for the winters to eat away the car and as its condition deteriorates so too will its value/viability as a collectors item. This is a significant consideration if you are looking at this project as somehow being a better financial move than getting another affordable modern daily driver.

If you live in an area where the weather is ideal, then the situation could be different.
Old 10-21-2014, 04:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Nophix
I would say it depends in your situation and where you live. If you don't go crazy with power, and live down south, sure. I daily drovecstuff like that all the time in NC.

If you have a heavy traffic commute, run an automatic.
Boo! Clutching in traffic is how you get a nice butt without running. I don't see any reason why you couldn't, put the car together correctly and it sounds like it would be an awesome and fun DD. Depending on weather though, I probably wouldn't drive a 1st gen in the winter. But if you live in Socal like I do it could be perfectA

Any pictures of said 1st gen?
Old 10-22-2014, 09:23 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by blackandgold
Boo! Clutching in traffic is how you get a nice butt without running. I don't see any reason why you couldn't, put the car together correctly and it sounds like it would be an awesome and fun DD. Depending on weather though, I probably wouldn't drive a 1st gen in the winter. But if you live in Socal like I do it could be perfectA

Any pictures of said 1st gen?

I guess I'm really looking for justification for keeping it. I've got a couple other project trucks and this is the least practical of all of them. I'm in Missouri, so winter driving for this car is probably not going to happen.

Last edited by Timbro; 10-22-2014 at 09:30 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 10-22-2014, 10:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Yeah, you should probably get rid of it. In San Diego. And in my garage. yeah, I could watch it for you during the MO winter once you get it buttoned up
Old 10-22-2014, 03:13 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by blackandgold
Yeah, you should probably get rid of it. In San Diego. And in my garage. yeah, I could watch it for you during the MO winter once you get it buttoned up
Gosh. That's so nice if you to offer to help me out.
Old 10-24-2014, 11:35 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is one very nice looking car. I have always wanted to drive a 1st gen and a 2nd gen. I feel like they are completely different than 3rd and 4th gens. The styling of the first gen is IMO one of the best.
Old 10-25-2014, 04:03 PM
Teching In

Default Daily

I have a 69 that i drive a except winter almost everyday. I have a ls3 t56 and I did the hotchkis II suspension with the C5 vette brakes. Extremely nice runner and I get 28 on the highway. So if you want to do it there isnt a problem with it. I only get cautious when I park it for door dings.

Quick Reply: 1st gen Camaro LS practical as daily driver?