Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

in need of advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 04:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default in need of advice

Hello everyone. I have a 2002 z28 w 94k that used to be my everyday driver. I haven't really driven the car in 3 yrs and its hasn't been started since last winter. I really want to get it back on the road and drive it occasionally. What do I need to do to get her back on the road? My brake calipers are rusted and I need to replace 2 tire due to dry rot. But as far as Fuel and transmission fluid and such? Any help will be greatly appreciated. I miss driving it
Old 10-22-2014, 08:42 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd personally do the following if it were mine:

Change engine oil with conventional 5w30
Change transmission fluid with DEXRON III
Change differential fluid with synthetic 75-90
Remove power steering cooler; install non-cooler upper radiator hose
Flush engine coolant
Flush power steering fluid
Flush brake fluid
Change fuel filter
Change PCV valve or perform '04 LS6 PCV conversion
Clean throttle body
Clean MAF sensor
Change air filter
Change spark plugs with platinum (single tip); maybe replace wires if needed

I'm partial to using all ACDelco parts and Valvoline fluids.

Last edited by demonspeed; 10-22-2014 at 12:42 PM.
Old 10-22-2014, 11:12 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,484 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Originally Posted by Adrian83
Hello everyone. I have a 2002 z28 w 94k that used to be my everyday driver. I haven't really driven the car in 3 yrs and its hasn't been started since last winter. I really want to get it back on the road and drive it occasionally. What do I need to do to get her back on the road? My brake calipers are rusted and I need to replace 2 tire due to dry rot. But as far as Fuel and transmission fluid and such? Any help will be greatly appreciated. I miss driving it
I think you mean "rotors are rusted", would be my guess? Has the car been stored outside?

Not sure how up to date the car was on maintenance prior to sitting, but the only immediate thing that you might have to deal with to get it back on the road would be the fuel system....especially if the fuel used was E10 and it was never treated with Stabil or something similar. If you can still get it running, then I would try to dilute the old fuel with as much fresh fuel as possible, as soon as possible. Once you've been able to put several fresh gallons in, then I'd run the tank down to 1/4-1/8 or so to get most of that old fuel out, then change the fuel filter along with a full tank of fresh fuel (I'd also run some sort of cleaner through it, Red Line SI-1 would be my personal choice).

An oil change would obviously be best as well, but the other fluids will last longer than three years (some of them MUCH longer) if the car hasn't been used and they were in good condition prior. Trans fluid doesn't suffer from the same (relatively) quick breakdown as engine oil, because there is no combustion taking place inside the transmission. There is really no specific "time" interval for changing this fluid, it's more about mileage/driving style/heat. Power steering fluid is very similar in this regard. If the coolant was already old when the car went in storage, then you'll want to change that too. Coolant and engine oil would be my top concerns, besides the old gas.

The list above from demonspeed is good advice if you're looking to get the car fully caught up on maintenance as well.

Last edited by RPM WS6; 10-22-2014 at 11:20 AM.
Old 10-22-2014, 12:42 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree with RPM WS6 that some of my suggestions are likely overkill unless it had been in need of routine maintenance anyway.

Another thing I'd consider would be fresh brake fluid (added to my first post for posterity).
Old 10-25-2014, 11:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you everyone for the tips. And yes I did mean rotors. I will probably take demonspeed advice and complete his list to be caught up with all maintenance. I was a member of ls1tech years ago and if I remember correctly there was a how to section. Ill do some looking around on here and start getting to work thx again.

Quick Reply: in need of advice