Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

2000 ss rack n pinion

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2014, 08:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2000 ss rack n pinion

Ok so here's what I got a 2000 ss m6 got it couple months ago and been rebuilding it since previous owners beat her. So far new radiator new plugs new wires new radiator new power steering pump some zr1s some tires. Still needing some more hut on the steering right now. Here's my issue have play in the wheel and got my dad to help me look today and found an inch or two of play before starts to turn wheels but the whole rack is shifting. Is there only like 2 bolts or can anyone help me with how many bolts or what I can do .... any help would be appreciated. Please and thanks
James
Old 11-10-2014, 06:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

In for answers on this. I also have quite a bit of play in my steering wheel.
Old 11-13-2014, 04:07 PM
11 Second Club

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by joffer00
Ok so here's what I got a 2000 ss m6 got it couple months ago and been rebuilding it since previous owners beat her. So far new radiator new plugs new wires new radiator new power steering pump some zr1s some tires. Still needing some more hut on the steering right now. Here's my issue have play in the wheel and got my dad to help me look today and found an inch or two of play before starts to turn wheels but the whole rack is shifting. Is there only like 2 bolts or can anyone help me with how many bolts or what I can do .... any help would be appreciated. Please and thanks
James

if your whole rack is moving, then most likely have loose bolts or worn bushings on the rack..
Old 11-13-2014, 06:13 PM
Staging Lane

does the steering wheel move up and down when it should be locked?
Old 11-13-2014, 08:45 PM
Teching In

Ridndirty Yes the wheel moves diagonally up and down I have to get the column torn down so I can tighten down the 4 tilt bolts and then that'll be fixed another one of the things I need to do. Johnny59 I figured the bolts either loosened or came out I just didn't know how many bolts hold the rack down or any clues as to where they are before I get under the car and just start feeling around to find how many and where so I had something to start with I guess would you happen to have any of that info. I've heard it's like 3 bolts trying to find info and to get 1 out you have to lift the motor or cut off a bolt and replace with one inserted opposite direction.
Old 11-13-2014, 09:04 PM
11 Second Club

Ridndirty Yes the wheel moves diagonally up and down I have to get the column torn down so I can tighten down the 4 tilt bolts and then that'll be fixed another one of the things I need to do. Johnny59 I figured the bolts either loosened or came out I just didn't know how many bolts hold the rack down or any clues as to where they are before I get under the car and just start feeling around to find how many and where so I had something to start with I guess would you happen to have any of that info. I've heard it's like 3 bolts trying to find info and to get 1 out you have to lift the motor or cut off a bolt and replace with one inserted opposite direction.
there are two bolts that "bolt" the rack to the k-member. once your under the car you can't miss them. you are correct that the motor must be raised to remove the one bolt or cut it.
Old 11-13-2014, 09:05 PM
Staging Lane

If your trying to take out the whole rack and pinion you will have the bolt that connects the rack to your steering shaft you can take the one 10mm bolt out up by your brake booster and then you will have 2 I believe either 15mm or 18mm bolts right under the oil pan on top of the K member then you will have to drop your tie rod ends then the whole rack should come out. That is just going off the top of my head so dont yell at me if I missed anything. Pretty simple though. I hope this helps you!!!
Old 11-13-2014, 09:10 PM
11 Second Club

there are two bolts that "bolt" the rack to the k-member. once your under the car you can't miss them. you are correct that the motor must be raised to remove the one bolt or cut it.
Old 11-13-2014, 09:15 PM
Launching!

If your interested I have a 4 year old rack and pinon that has less than a thousand miles coming out of my car soon.I have a manual rack about to go in.
Old 11-13-2014, 09:37 PM
Teching In

Thank you so much guys very helpful info. Now I know roughly what size how many and where to look lol. I'm not yelling at anyone for some needed help. Thanks again for what I got and ss I'll pm you shortly bout your rack. I have a lot left on the car to do so I'm sure I'll be asking for more help someone tried to pry open my hatch so now I have to replace it and pull off my ss wing to install on the new and thought my door hinges were bad and they actually aren't the reason my doors are sagging is because someone really awesome I guess was hanging/ sitting on them open so the fiberglass where the door hinges are is actually broken inside the door the hinge stays in place but the doors.moving so I'm replacing them too. But it's gonna be ok I'm do her right and fix it correct I always wanted an ls1 ss so this is it I got 2 kids house and wife so I'm here and now with all the time.for fixing her up now just ggotta find money lol. Thanks again guys
Old 11-26-2014, 10:33 PM
Teching In

To everyone who gave info thanks a ton found the 2 bolts on rack itself 18 mm and one was loose. Got it tight and helped out but now I was wondering does anyone have any info on how to adjust the steering gear yoke nut.i read bout a guy with ls1 gto that did it to fix his issue but can't get any info on how to actually do the adjustment. There like a 40 mm outside nut and a 22 or something like that on the end??? Anybody heard of or messed with this issue????
Old 11-29-2014, 01:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Happy you figured it out. In case you need any new parts I have the entire rack off my 33K mile SS. Everything works perfect. I swapped to a Flaming River (BMR) manual set up.
$180 shipped for everything.

Quick Reply: 2000 ss rack n pinion