Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

The LS1 swap to a v6 4rth gen.

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 09:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The LS1 swap to a v6 4rth gen.

I'm sure this question has been asked plenty of times. Can't seem to find the right answers so here I go. I own a 99 v6 auto, I'm going to California from Houston to work with my uncle at his shop. Labor wouldn't be a problem, just parts. So I might as well swap it there. Im looking to swap it to a ls1 and a manual transmission. What will be needed and how much money would I spent?
Old 02-06-2015, 09:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Find a donor car if you can. FWIW t56's are going for a premium on their own. Are you planning on doing any performance mods? Also keep in mind smogging the car will be tough. Outside of that I think probably 5-6k if you are doing all of the labor yourself. The 1 thing you will hear echoed again and again is that you may as well just sell the 6 and pick up an ls1 car unless there is some sentimental attachment.
Old 02-07-2015, 07:24 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I know you've probably heard this before but just sell and buy a v8 car. They are cheap enough now to where it doesnt pay out. A t56 and ls1 pullout still fetch 3-4k or even more. Then you will still need a complete ls1 front suspension, k member, harness, driveshaft, pedals and amillion other little things. Its all the llittle stuff that will nickel and dime you to death.

either that or buy a wrecked car and swap it all over
Old 02-07-2015, 10:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright, I think I'll buy a wrecked car. The camaro was my dad's car so I'm not really trying to sell it. But I appreciate all the help.

Quick Reply: The LS1 swap to a v6 4rth gen.