Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Beginning of a journey with my 35th LE

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2015, 12:14 PM
Launching!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 2JAWZ
Funny. I actually have the same thing coming from 6LE along with the CF sail panel. I plan a whole new look for this spring. Oem SS hood, probably 98-02 SS oem spoiler, and a set of hydro dipped(real oem) ZR1's along with the aforementioned exhaust. Then I think I will stop for awhile. Then maybe on to a twin turbo setup,, who knows**
Yeah found a guy on here selling the valance for really cheap and then a guy local to me had the tips and i did a trade so i have about $100 in the whole set up. Just gotta get the valance painted and then clean the tips up and polish them.

Sounds like you're gonna have a really nice car come next year
Old 12-30-2015, 08:04 AM
Launching!

So since I have the other set of wheels on the car currently its giving me time to give the anniversary wheels some much needed love. I purchased them from a guy out of MS that had them on his c4 vette. The wheels have some curb rash and are no where near perfect, that being said I ended up making $25 between selling the all black replicas and purchasing these wheels. Also I'm not sure if I mentioned but they are original LE wheels which was a big plus for me and another reason the rash wasn't a huge deal.

My main issue with the wheels is that the machined face was covered in water spots that etched the clearcoat and the black was very dull. So what I have started to do is polish them with some Meguiars M205 with a 3" foam pad on a drill to polish the machined face of the wheels. Below is a couple pictures of what I'm using.

The M205 worked great but I'm pretty sure there are a few places that I will need to hit with the M105 which is the compound. Anyways, below are some pics of during the process with one comparison of the centercaps that really shows the difference. I will have to take the wheels outside in the sun to really show the difference there and will do that once I am done.

Once this is complete I will be protecting the wheels with a coating, I was going to use the GTECHNIQ that I coated the racestars with but I am honestly not happy with how its holding up. The water beads right off the wheels but I still get water spots etched in........ so once these wheels are finished I will be polishing the racestars and finding a better coating. Back to the coatings though, I have some Wolfs Chemical Nano Coating that is made for car paint but should work fine since the wheels are clearcoated.

I'll post back more when I'm finished! Hope you all had a great Christmas and a good New Years!
Old 01-11-2016, 08:03 AM
Launching!

So I haven't made anymore headway on the wheels. We did end up swapping the new trans into the Trans Am and it went much smoother the second time. Go figure..... haha. The new one is a built 4L60e with a manual valve body.

View from my office, not bad if I say so

Got the car up in the air, will definitely install lift in my garage when I get one. Such a nice luxury to have.

Got the car home and took it for a test drive and the car just pulls so much better than before. The manual valve body is also so much fun to drive. Will post more when I get it!
Old 01-29-2016, 01:58 PM
Launching!

Not often you run into a photo op where you can get two together, atleast not down where I'm at.

Old 01-30-2016, 06:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 70 Posts

Yeah,, that is pretty rare*
Old 10-03-2016, 02:28 PM
Launching!

Long time no post. I have a few updates, nothing major unfortunately. I finally got around to changing my spark plugs and wires. I had picked up some NGK TR6's a while back and I don't exactly remember why I went with those over the TR55's. I know that the TR6's will foul out quicker but I had them so I decided to run them. I decided for wires to run Taylor 10.4mm wires because I wanted a better quality wire than the msd's that were on it.

This isn't the first time I've done plugs and wires on a fbody so it went by pretty quickly. I got her stripped down as much as possible before I began.

I pulled the intake and MAF just to get it out the way. I took a picture to compare the MSD wires to the new Taylor 10.4mm wires. I highly recommend these wires over the MSD's.

All of the plugs went in and came out without any real issues. One thing I did notice was that all of the plugs I pulled were gapped at 0.08 which seemed really big compared to the 0.05-0.06 that most recommend.

Got it all put back together and decided to take her for a test drive to see if she ran any better than before. I couldn't even make it out of my subdivision

Car died on me when I came up to the stop light and wouldn't start back up. It would fire and then immediately kill. A few guys helped me push her up into the grass and I started double checking everything to make sure I didn't leave anything unhooked. I checked all the plugs and wires and everything looked good. It was acting like it wasn't wasn't getting enough fuel so I decided to unplug the MAF in hopes it would compensate and throw extra fuel at it and allow it to run. Luckily it did and I was able to get it home. Thankfully we have 2 fbodys at the house so I went and took the whole MAF and intake off our TA and threw it on mine to see if the MAF was bad.

Bingo! So after spending more money on a new MAF she is running like a champ. The properly gapped plugs definitely made a difference. Next weekend I get to change the motor mounts. Pray for me .

An finally just a few random pics I have on my phone.

The 51 Chevy is my younger brothers and he is almost done with it. It is going to get inspected tomorrow and will hopefully make it to Cruising the Coast.
Old 10-04-2016, 09:18 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Awesome! Glad to see someone saved her!!!
Old 10-04-2016, 04:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

You did a great job fixing your car....its nice to see all your hard work pay off. all you have to do now is keep all the freaks from running into you
Old 10-05-2016, 08:53 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I've just came across this thread and have enjoyed reading it.
Old 10-07-2016, 08:14 PM
Launching!

Hey guys, thanks for the kind words. This car has definitely come along way, it does still have a long way to go though.
Old 01-25-2017, 09:11 AM
Launching!

Got a few more updates, no real changes to the car but I have picked up quite a few goodies to install on her when I get a free weekend.

Had some gift cards I needed to spend on Amazon so I went ahead and ordered some BMR 1.25" lowering springs. They had a lot of good reviews and I know about 3 local people who is running them. I wanted Strano springs but after some research I found that BMR are almost identical. An every Strano spring set I've seen that's been used always seemed to be rusting and against the white powder coat it stands out.

I also ordered some Koni STR.T for the car to install with the BMR's. I only have the fronts so far and will be ordering the rears when I decided to stop spending money elsewhere...... haha

With lowering the car came the need for an adjustable phb. I'm currently running UMI rear suspension, the tubular stock replacement with poly bushing joints. This go around I decided to go with Midwest Chassis for their on the car adjustable phb. It's a very nice piece and may upgrade my lca to their adjustable ones in the future.

I also finally sent my CME valance off to get painted and its now ready to be installed...... just need a long weekend to install everything.

Just a random picture I took of the stock pile of parts in my room waiting to be installed.

Some of you may have noticed I usto park my car under a cheap white car port on the side of our garage. Well for how cheap it was it lasted longer than I expected but it started to fall apart. So back out in the weather my car went. I ended up picking up another one that looked to be much better quality and actually had a front, sides, and rear to enclose the car. I put it up in the back corner of our back slab. To ensure it didn't walk around and possibly damage my car I drilled and anchored the legs to the concrete. So far I'm really happy with the ~= $200 investment.

I was on craigslist the other night just browsing like I normally do every night lmao and I came across a person selling some OEM Competition Grey z06 corvette wheels for $250. No phone number listed and the add had been up for a couple days so I figured they were sold but I sent an email anyway. No response the whole day and at 8pm that night I received a call and they were still available! He offered to meet me yesterday about 5 minutes from my work and I now own them. Extremely happy with the condition for how cheap they were. They are stamped GM wheels and when the car is lowered will look great on it I'm hoping.

That's all I have for now...... Hopefully next time I post my car will look much different than it does now. Hope yall enjoy!
Old 01-26-2017, 01:00 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Those sir are speedlines and they will look great!!! I miss having a set of those on my car
Old 01-28-2017, 03:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Just went through your thread, nice car! It's coming along nicely. I love the racestar look. Did you end up fixing the hood?
Old 01-28-2017, 07:14 PM
Staging Lane

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

car looks great! What size is that new canopy you have?
Old 01-28-2017, 08:33 PM
Launching!

Hey Reaper-Z thanks! Its definitely be a fun road. Are you asking about the scratches or the passenger stripe?

mmm88ta the canopy is a 20x10. Has alot of room with the car in their.
Old 01-28-2017, 08:45 PM
Launching!

Been a semi busy day. I spent the morning pulling the 12 bolt out my pops TA so we can get the MWC relocation brackets for the lca welded and then paint the rear end.

Although pulling the rear end was fun and all I enjoyed mocking up my CME valance much more Will have it finished up and permanently installed so I can bring it to the shop this coming week.

Old 01-28-2017, 10:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice, please post your thoughts on those shocks and springs, and pictures of how it sits after the install, I am looking at the same setup.
Old 01-29-2017, 09:44 AM
Launching!

topless2002SS will definitely do that. It'll probably be a little while before I get to install it. I will be replacing every part of the suspension when I do go to install it.
Old 01-30-2017, 12:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

I was asking about the "X" that someone decided to carve into the hood, if you got any of that fixed. Those speedlines 17 and 18?
Old 01-30-2017, 02:29 PM
Launching!

Reaper-Z, I haven't done anything about it besides take some touch up paint and try to make it less noticeable. I've decided that some parts of my car will need a repaint just due to the terrible condition of the paint so I'm going to just wait and send the whole car off to be painted. The spoiler is terrible and the failed clear coat is extremely noticeable. Hopefully be able to send it off for paint towards the end of the summer.

The wheels are speedline 17s and 18s.

Quick Reply: Beginning of a journey with my 35th LE