Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

safe shift settings for 02 z28 with hhypertech programmer

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2015, 06:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default safe shift settings for 02 z28 with hhypertech programmer

New her and got to questions i need some help with first is a friend gave me a hhypertech programmer so i can adjust my shift points was wondering was is some good shift points for a 02z28 a4 with stock 274's with a couple moods and second question is it going to thrash my trans is i change shift settings and firmness any help would help alot thanks
Old 03-27-2015, 07:37 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by patrick02z28
New her and got to questions i need some help with first is a friend gave me a hhypertech programmer so i can adjust my shift points was wondering was is some good shift points for a 02z28 a4 with stock 274's with a couple moods and second question is it going to thrash my trans is i change shift settings and firmness any help would help alot thanks
If your trans is stock, instal a trans cooler right away if not done. I have delt with these stock A4 for a long time, they need it. And for your shift point, if i were to program my own 4L60 to shift, i probably will set mine at 5,800 or 5,900 since i have a no modifications. If you're brave 6,000.
I personally have noticed a difference in my transmission trying to shift at 5,500 and at 6,000. I have a reman good-wrench 4L60 and it shifts really great, firm on its own. When i try to shift it at like 6 it gets all sloppy. that is my own personal situation though, cant speak for everyone's trans

I didnt like my
"sloppy" wording as i was specifically referring to when i try to bump the shift myself and it hits rev limiter before shifting. ON ITS OWN it shifts fantastic at 6or below

Last edited by Mappinsj; 04-03-2015 at 07:13 AM. Reason: bothered me how i worded this
Old 03-27-2015, 12:07 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,059 Posts

You can't bump the shift point much higher than stock without raising the rev limiter (stock is 6200rpm), and that's really not a good idea with stock valve springs. Stock shift RPMs are 6,000 for 1-2 and 2-3, and 5900 for 3-4, but Hypertech shift adjustments are done in MPH and I think the range of adjustment is up or down ~6mph. What 1mph equates to in terms of RPM will be dependent on your gear ratio, and there is a little book that comes with the Hypertech that will show a chart of this.

You can probably get away with bumping the 1-2 shift point by 1mph and the 2-3 shift by 2mph without any issues with the rev limiter at the stock setting (6200).

I would leave the shift firmness alone, IMO.

Higher rpm shift points are in fact harder on the trans, but if you're staying within the stock rev limiter then you aren't really raising them high enough to cause much concern beyond expected wear with same-style driving patterns and stock shift points.

Quick Reply: safe shift settings for 02 z28 with hhypertech programmer