Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Cross country road trip in my 01 SS

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 01:00 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cross country road trip in my 01 SS

So after some time and thought, if I don't get 8500 or so for my car I decided I'm not gonna sell it because it has been a big investment and I have really grown to love the thing.

That being said keeping it will mean I am making a cross country road trip and I would like to see what other people's experiences have been with this. My car is an 01 bolt on SS with a new monster stage two clutch, fully rebuilt rear with 3.90 gears and it has 106k on the ls1. I just changed the oil with mobile one last week. I'll do it when I get to my destination. I'll be driving from Washington state to New Hampshire. I currently plan on splitting the trip over 4 days but depending on whether or not I'll be alone, I might just fly through it in 2.5 days.

As far as added wear and tear is there really any? Is it gonna really hurt the motor to be running at 1800 Rpms at 70 for 16 hours? I plan on doing a cam swap in June so what does that look like in these terms?
I hope I get some answers. Looking forward to the trip with my beautiful f body. Here she is for all of you to see.

Thank you

-Nick

Old 04-17-2015, 08:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

YO NICK! I'm going on a road trip down to Myrtle Beach SC with Natasha tomorrow. I was in the same boat contemplating taking the Z28 but its just not ready for it. Needs an alignment and some other stuff. I say just run through the car, make sure brakes are good alignment is good no worn out suspension pieces check front end, fresh oil change fresh rear gear oil because its gonna be cooking all the way there. feckin drive it dude!
Old 04-17-2015, 09:24 AM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As long as the car is up on it's maintenance (fluids, belt, battery and filters) I don't see any reason not to drive it. Running all day at constant operating temperatures is a lot better than stop & go driving. At 106k, I would replace/delete the PS cooler, since you don't need that failing during the trip.

BTW - Nice clean car
Old 04-17-2015, 09:46 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by KLaBZ28
YO NICK! I'm going on a road trip down to Myrtle Beach SC with Natasha tomorrow. I was in the same boat contemplating taking the Z28 but its just not ready for it. Needs an alignment and some other stuff. I say just run through the car, make sure brakes are good alignment is good no worn out suspension pieces check front end, fresh oil change fresh rear gear oil because its gonna be cooking all the way there. feckin drive it dude!
I'll probably get an alignment soon. I'll check it all out. I think being an m6 it's not too too bad.
Old 04-17-2015, 09:48 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Z28 6spd
As long as the car is up on it's maintenance (fluids, belt, battery and filters) I don't see any reason not to drive it. Running all day at constant operating temperatures is a lot better than stop & go driving. At 106k, I would replace/delete the PS cooler, since you don't need that failing during the trip.

BTW - Nice clean car
What's up with the power steering cooler?
Old 04-17-2015, 10:09 AM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Blake
What's up with the power steering cooler?
They are known to fail internally and allow the coolant and PS fluid to mix.

Some alternatives here - https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...g-success.html
Old 04-19-2015, 09:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

As long as you don't have any mechanical issues before you set out you'll be just fine. I drove my car when it was full bolt on and a cam from Pittsburgh, Pa to Park city, Ut no problems. Trip was 1,985 miles took me 28 hours gate to gate, averaged 24 mpg's with the 6 speed and 3:42 rear gears. Even hit 160 mph a few times in Wyoming and Nebraska
Old 04-19-2015, 12:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

1800rpm for 16 hours ? I've driven 4 2200 mile trips at 3000rpm(because of the 4.56s gears behind an A4). The middle of the designed rpm range is 3500rpm. I was even in cruise control at 4000rpm for an hour on I26 in S.C. RPMs' don't bother me,car has 180,000 on it.
Old 04-19-2015, 12:58 PM
Teching In

General good maintenance should suffice. I'm planning a road trip too this summer. Maybe a Power Tour. I've had the vert a year an put very few miles on it. Good luck on your trip.
Old 04-27-2015, 09:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I just got back from my trip, we took my girls 2010 subaru legacy from Boston to Myrtle Beach then through Charlotte North Carolina and Blue Ridge Parkway.. It was great, super smooth ride plenty of power to get around, comfortable, averaged 34-35mpg. But I wish I had my camaro tuned up and ready, it would have been way more fun.

Quick Reply: Cross country road trip in my 01 SS