Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Voltage too high (18volts plus)

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 08:31 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Voltage too high (18volts plus)

1998 Camaro Z28, 111k miles, no amp/subs (current owner had wiring ran though so I assume it had one at some point) When my car turns on the voltage climbs to 18V within about 3-5 seconds. While driving the voltage will try to climb even high but "bounce off redline" for lack of better terms. All the lights on dash and my headlights will flash/flicker. CEL, brake, and check gauge lights come on while driving as well. Problem occurred after I cleaned out my engine bay.

How I cleaned the engine bay. Car/engine was cool, I washed using car soap and a sponge/rag. I rinsed engine bay out with a hose. I then used a towel to dry things off the best I could, and let the engine idle for about 20 minutes with the hood open to dry everything off. I pulled it in the garage and shut it off and continue to detail the car. I didn't notice anything until this morning when I started the car to leave for work

Since then, I left the car in the garage (took the bike to work instead). I've disconnected the battery, checked/cleaned the 4 ground wires I could find, and checked fuses. Still no luck. After searching the forums, it seems like most people have low voltage, instead of a high voltage. Should I attempt to replace the alternator and or connector wire? Thank you in advance for any input

Last edited by luckylad71; 04-21-2015 at 08:34 AM. Reason: Mis spell
Old 04-21-2015, 10:22 AM
Teching In

Here's a video I uploaded on YouTube. Hyperlink isn't working, but you should still be able to copy and paste into your browser
Old 04-21-2015, 06:46 PM
Teching In

19:41 update: removed the alternator, there was no cover on the wiring. I'm assuming the previous owner tore it when replacing the alternator. So the hot wire was completely exposed and got water in the alternator female connector portion. In the next few days (when parts arrive) I'll be replacing the make shift wiring with oem alternator connector wiring connector, and replacing the alternator as well just to be sure. I'll keep this updated incase anyone else has the same problem and is searching for a solution. I've got my fingers crossed this is the problem

Make shift alternator wiring spun together covered in electrical tape from previous owner *face palm*
Old 04-21-2015, 10:01 PM
On The Tree

Check the voltage of the battery with the car off first, should read 12.8-13volts with everything turned off. Then measure at the battery terminals with the engine running it should read 14-14.5volts depending on loads such as AC, radio, fans etc. I would guess your voltage regulator is going out making your voltage spike. But the dash voltage gauges aren't very accurate.
Old 04-28-2015, 04:03 AM
Teching In

Update: my new wire finally came in, I've dried everything, and soldered in the new connector. I'm now running about 14-15V constant. Should I leave it at this? Or replace the alternator as well?
Old 04-28-2015, 04:44 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Have you checked with a multimeter as suggested?
I would at least have the alternator put on a machine and tested.
Wife had a Topaz years ago that went over voltage, started eating bulbs was the first sign. Even after it was fixed the radio in particular was permanently glitchy, the over voltage had damaged other stuff.
Old 04-30-2015, 05:32 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
Have you checked with a multimeter as suggested?
I would at least have the alternator put on a machine and tested.
Wife had a Topaz years ago that went over voltage, started eating bulbs was the first sign. Even after it was fixed the radio in particular was permanently glitchy, the over voltage had damaged other stuff.
A topaz hahaha, that was the car I learned to drive in. Anyways, volts are currently 13.05 at the battery (car off) and 14.45 when running

Quick Reply: Voltage too high (18volts plus)