Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Audio help (im an idiot)

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 12:59 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audio help (im an idiot)

ok so ill be the first to admit I dont know a thing about audio. up until last night, i thought they were just different sizes, and i wanted to replace my speakers asap for a road trip because they sound absolutely terrible, they are beyond gone. So in my haste, I bought 2 sets of Polk Audio DB651 speakers, they are 6.5" coaxial speakers, I got them for the fronts and sail panels. for the rear, it had a 4" speaker but it looked like a 6x9 could fit. I got a couple of Pioneer TS-A6995S 6x9's.

what i want to know is will this work somehow? i dont have a clue about ohms, impedence, all that other stuff. I also have another car so nothing would go to waste if I got the wrong speakers. the factory head unit was a monsoon cd head unit but i have a sony stereo in there now. any help is much appreciated

the specs on the Polks

Pioneer 6x9 specs
Old 07-10-2015, 08:33 AM
Launching!

My best advice would be to get ahold of Kee Audio, who is a sponsor on here!! It would also help if you posted this in the audio section........

Good luck man!! Our Monsoon Systems can be a Royal PITA!!
Old 07-11-2015, 11:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

So this is a quick rundown of your sound system:

front speakers: component speakers with the tweeter mounted coaxially @2 ohms (tweeters are 4 ohm)

rear speakers: 6.5" subwoofer @ 2 ohms

rear 4": Full-range speaker, but I doubt it's for anything more than rear fill. @4 ohms.

The factory amp is rated at somewhere between 200-240watts RMS, but that's going into 2 ohm speakers. The speakers you've purchased are 4 ohms. That means that the sound going through the speakers will be quieter than the factory, and you're increasing the load on the amp. Not so much so that I think it'll be an issue, but just something to keep in mind.

The other thing to remember is that your rear speakers are only going to be receiving low-midrange sound. So those tweeters aren't really gonna do much and your bass will suffer a bit.

My personal recommendation is: Keep the polks, (at least up front) they're solid speakers and should sound good. Look into getting a DVC set of 6.5" subs for the rears, and don't throw those crappy pioneer 5-ways into the back hatch. Just disconnect the rear if it sounds blown, and if the lack of sound bothers you, replace it with another 4" speaker. Trying to get larger speakers like 6x9s into a hole that small is such a pain in the *** it's not even funny.
Old 11-12-2015, 12:43 PM
Staging Lane

I'll need yo be saving up s bit more for the trans. Working on the free stuff right now, dash removed. AC ducts taken off the dash. I'll be tackling the hc and the rest of the AC components on the dash. Maybe 75lbs in reduction total?
Old 11-12-2015, 09:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by FLiP726
I'll need yo be saving up s bit more for the trans. Working on the free stuff right now, dash removed. AC ducts taken off the dash. I'll be tackling the hc and the rest of the AC components on the dash. Maybe 75lbs in reduction total?
Can you translate this and how it relates to his audio thread.
Old 11-12-2015, 09:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Call KEE audio they are a sponsor here and can set you straight for a very reasonable price. They have awesome customer service and packages designed to work with monsoon amp these cars have. Upgrading your stock radio was a good move as they have a poor quality audio signal to the amp.

Quick Reply: Audio help (im an idiot)