Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Rear end driving me nuts!

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2015, 02:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear end driving me nuts!

Hey guys let me start by thanking everyone on here ! It's awesome to see there's a group of dedicated LS fans.
So I've looked through a lot of threds hoping to find someone who has had the same problem as me, but no luck. I recently bought a 98 z28 that was a nightmare. It came with 2 transmissions, one in it and one on the ground. One in it was toast and the one on the ground was supposed to have been freshly rebuilt but wasnt So after going through court and 6months of the car just sitting, I bought another transmission and new converter ! So we installed it on jack stands and for some reason with car in neutral and parking brake down the rear tires are hard to spin. I took calipers off thinking maybe slider pins were seized but they aren't. I lubed them all but even with them off rear wheels are hard to turn. So then I thought maybe the shoe was rubbing inside of rotors so I took them off. Didn't help...I'm at a loss as to why it so hard to turn the rear end. I have to put a screw driver in lug studs to get enough leverage to spin it. Trans is trying to turn wheels but it acts like its fighting itself to spin the tires. Any ideas? It's stock rear end (unfortunately) 10 bolt I believe powered by 4l60e and 3200 stall.
Old 07-18-2015, 05:40 PM
10 Second Club

Received 106 Likes on 94 Posts

How was it with the drive shaft out ?

Shouldn't be that hard to turn as you know...are both wheels going the same way or ???(could be turning against the posi ?)
Old 07-18-2015, 06:27 PM
Teching In

It was still pretty hard to turn with shaft out. I put it in neutral and both wheels turn together, just requires a bit of effort. My friend said I should be able to spin rotor or tire and it should keep spinning a little. Mine requires both hands and there is no spinning. And that's with calipers and rotors off.
Old 07-18-2015, 06:30 PM
Teching In

Then I put it in drive (on stands) and usually wheel will spin at idle but it acts like it doesn't want to spin unless you give it a little throttle and it just barely starts to spin.

Quick Reply: Rear end driving me nuts!