Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Torque Deficient?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 02:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torque Deficient?

Well Guys I have raced plenty of 5.0's by now and a lot of other cars in the mix as well. I wanted to focus on the ever so consistent nature of my car and a 5.0.

My car vs a 5.0 always plays out like this: We are neck and neck (or I get pulled ever so slightly) till about 85-90 mph. Once we reach that speed, I start pulling pretty hard on them...

I know my cam is a middle of the road cam, pretty mild but that makes me think I am a little torque deficient. The TI-VCT allows the coyote to maximize cylinder pressure at any given RPM giving it what seems like a torque advantage despite my displacement advantage. The mustangs are generally always heavier than me.

Anything I can do?
Old 08-03-2015, 02:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

What's done to these 5.0's that you've raced?
Old 08-03-2015, 03:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Light Bolt ons (CAI, TUNE, MUFFLERS) 14's and 15's
Old 08-03-2015, 06:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Just a thought, but what does your timing map look like. For instance you made have reduced timing in the midrange or something. Mine was like that originally. Had 17 degrees throughout a large part of the midrange
Old 08-03-2015, 08:16 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by nwilson44
Anything I can do?
Well I certainly wouldn't change the cam, not with stock heads anyway. There would be much bigger gains across the board by going with better heads vs. keeping the stock heads and doing a bigger cam.

And I'm assuming your current setup has been properly tuned. Do you have dyno numbers?
Old 08-04-2015, 01:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Well I certainly wouldn't change the cam, not with stock heads anyway. There would be much bigger gains across the board by going with better heads vs. keeping the stock heads and doing a bigger cam.

And I'm assuming your current setup has been properly tuned. Do you have dyno numbers?
Not sure what the timing is set at. I had it tuned last summer and it came in right about 400 RWHP, but I have made some minor changes since then, that should put it at right around 400 Wheel.

The torque curve (on the most current sheet) was flat and peaked around 355 RWTQ between 3000-5000.

May need a lid and retune.
Old 08-05-2015, 01:01 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

May need a lid and retune.
I just assumed you already had a lid, based on all the other mods. Air lids are usually worth about ~15rwhp when cammed, so you're leaving easy power on the table there. I would definitely do that ASAP.
Old 08-05-2015, 08:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I just assumed you already had a lid, based on all the other mods. Air lids are usually worth about ~15rwhp when cammed, so you're leaving easy power on the table there. I would definitely do that ASAP.
I'll definitely get on that. Will that help out on the hit as well or increase the Torque? It pulls well on the big end and feels strong on the low end, until a heavier car with a smaller engine keeps up to about 85 lol
Old 08-05-2015, 02:11 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

I'll definitely get on that. Will that help out on the hit as well or increase the Torque? It pulls well on the big end and feels strong on the low end, until a heavier car with a smaller engine keeps up to about 85 lol
It should help across the board and probably knock another tenth or so off your ET, but it won't make a night-and-day difference in race performance.

Keep in mind that even a mild bolt-on 5.0 car is no slouch, I would generally expect the race to go down very much like you have described. You've basically run about an 1/8 mile race when you reach ~85mph at your power level, and I would expect it to be pretty close up to that point. ~85+ MPH would be the back half of the 1/4 mile run, and I would expect you to pull away at that point, based on your power level and theirs, so pretty much exactly what should be happening IS happening.

To effect a really significant change in power and acceleration, you'll need more modifications (or serious weight reduction, more serious than most people want for a street car.) A good set of stage II or better heads would be an excellent choice to complement your current setup. The LS6 intake is a good piece for a bolt-on car but with a cam, or especially heads/cam, you can pick up additional power with something aftermarket. Those two things alone would greatly increase performance.

If you don't want to do any additional internal engine work, then a power adder such as N2O would be the other option for massive gains in performance at any/every rpm within your useable range.
Old 08-05-2015, 02:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Something totally unrelated but it may help...a shift light. Just a thought

Quick Reply: Torque Deficient?