Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Removing front turn signal lense.. Help

Old 08-12-2015, 03:00 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing front turn signal lense.. Help

There doesnt seem to be much info on this subjest that I can find. From what I HAVE found, it's supposed to be a fairly easy task. I took out the headlamp assy. and just couldn't get the turn signal lense out, no matter what angle I tried to move it to or turn it at. The it's like it was too long and I couldn't get past the sides... I had extremly limited side to side movement, and it would only lift up so high, then it would just jam in there. Any ideas or suggestions?
I was trying to take it out because I had gotten some water in there somehow and the bulb blew out, so I wanted to get the water and glass pieces out. I ended up just using some mechanical fingers to get the big pieces of glass out and i wadded up a napkin and used the mechanical fingers to move the napkin around in there to get the water. But now, I want to replace the lense because I broke one of the holes that a screw goes into to hold it in place. Its holding just fine with 1 screw, but I wanna fix it before too long.... but I gotta get the old one out first.....

Last edited by DuckDude; 08-12-2015 at 03:36 PM.
Old 08-12-2015, 06:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I'll let you know in a day or two since I'll be replacing mine as well
Old 08-12-2015, 07:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Should be pretty easy, I've never had an issue. Follow these steps from another thread:

Originally Posted by djfury05 View Post
You do not need to take off the bumper. Here are the steps I use.

1 - Pop the hood
2 - Remove the 5 pushpins on the front top part of the bumper
3 - Pull the bumper cover up and over the foam support
4 - Remove the (1) 10mm bolt on the backside of each headlight
5 - Disconnect the High/Low beams from the head light assembly
6 - Slide the passenger side headlight towards the driver side to remove it
7 - Slide the driver side headlight towards the passenger side to remove it
8 - Remove the running light and turn signal bulbs from the old turn signal housings
9 - Remove the (2) 7mm screws from the backside of the turn signal housings
10 - Put new turn signal housings in place and work backwards through these steps to the beginning

Good luck
Old 09-04-2015, 06:11 PM
Staging Lane

Remove a bumper to take out a turn signal housing? Brilliant idea... totally unnecessary maintenance to complete something so simple. Not saying blackandGold is wrong, just sayin thats a stupid design.
Old 09-04-2015, 06:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well I did mine last week. It was just 2 screws then it popped out super easy for me. Not sure why yours is giving problems
Old 09-05-2015, 09:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by DuckDude
Remove a bumper to take out a turn signal housing? Brilliant idea... totally unnecessary maintenance to complete something so simple. Not saying blackandGold is wrong, just sayin thats a stupid design.
I sure as Hell hope and pray I never have a turn signal bulb burn out*
Old 09-05-2015, 06:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Where did I say to take off the bumper? My post says explicitly the opposite...
Old 09-06-2015, 07:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Step#3- Pull the bumper up and over the foam support.
To me as an average understanding individual, comprehends as damn near remove the bumper*
Old 09-06-2015, 09:22 AM
On The Tree

Default Removing front turn signal lense.. Help

When I changed my housings I had to pull them bumper a bit, not remove it, to get the original housing out. I believe that's what Blackandgold meant
Old 09-06-2015, 09:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

no need to remove the housing to change the bulbs... you do need to remove the headlights to change the top bulb but not the marker bulb..

getting them out is much easier than getting them back in.. I have to flex the corners of the opening for them to slide back into place...
Old 09-06-2015, 06:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2JAWZ
Step#3- Pull the bumper up and over the foam support.
To me as an average understanding individual, comprehends as damn near remove the bumper*
open the hood, pop out the plastic "rivets" along the bumper, then lift the very top and slide it down about an inch...not anywhere near removing the bumper.
Old 09-06-2015, 06:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

I don't understand why people are having problems with this...all I had to do was remove the headlight (super easy) then remove a couple screws on the turn signal housing and the it popped right out
Old 09-06-2015, 07:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
I don't understand why people are having problems with this...all I had to do was remove the headlight (super easy) then remove a couple screws on the turn signal housing and the it popped right out
I think people are just having trouble getting to it. You can totally go from underneath as well, but for me fiddling around without being able to see was annoying, so followed my posted method to pop out the headlight and boom tons of access.
Old 09-06-2015, 08:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

slide it down an inch sounds a whole lot different than pull the bumper up and over the foam support! I haven't had to replace one yet due to my car is not a daily driver,, not even a weekly driver* wording is key**
Old 09-06-2015, 08:20 PM
Teching In

Taking out the headlights gave me all the access I needed. Just have the angle it right to get it out, I think I had to lift the outer side first and swing it back to get it out. Once you do it the first time, its not too hard (ive taken mine out like 3 times to fix condensation issues)
Old 09-07-2015, 01:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

slide it down an inch sounds a whole lot different than pull the bumper up and over the foam support! I haven't had to replace one yet due to my car is not a daily driver,, not even a weekly driver* wording is key**
Sliding it over the foam support is the same as sliding it about an inch, but you won't know until you get out there and get wrenching!

Originally Posted by MoonlitMechanic
Taking out the headlights gave me all the access I needed. Just have the angle it right to get it out, I think I had to lift the outer side first and swing it back to get it out. Once you do it the first time, its not too hard (ive taken mine out like 3 times to fix condensation issues)
Slipping the bumper over the foam support lets you just slide the headlight in and out, I have aftermarket headlights though so maybe with the OEM ones you don't need to do that (although it sounds like most people do).
Old 09-07-2015, 06:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^Oh gosh* I would say wrenching all the time either means you have a race car, or a POS** Mine was wrenched on for its current build and since then, not so much. It is where I like it and since it is not daily driven, she sleeps peacefully inbetween drives*
Old 09-08-2015, 06:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^Oh gosh* I would say wrenching all the time either means you have a race car, or a POS** Mine was wrenched on for its current build and since then, not so much. It is where I like it and since it is not daily driven, she sleeps peacefully inbetween drives*
I Just meant like don't be intimidated by sliding your bumper to swap a light bulb and get out there and try it....
Old 09-09-2015, 06:22 PM
Staging Lane

It doesnt really matter anymore ya'll... All I wanted to do was get the water out of the lens. I just put a paper towel in there with some mechanical fingers and soaked it up. If I get around to graying the turn signals to match my whistler mod, I will have to take them out, and I will figure it out then. But for now its not a big deal anymore.
Old 05-03-2016, 01:32 AM
Teching In

It doesnt really matter anymore ya'll... All I wanted to do was get the water out of the lens. I just put a paper towel in there with some mechanical fingers and soaked it up. If I get around to graying the turn signals to match my whistler mod, I will have to take them out, and I will figure it out then. But for now its not a big deal anymore.
Wowwww! Your a real pro!!! Asking about "turn signal lense" help, with your "mechanical fingers?"

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Removing front turn signal lense.. Help