Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans
View Poll Results: Keep my car, supercharge it or buy low mileage c6z06?
Keep my car and Magnacharge it
38.46%
Sell my car and buy a c6z06
38.46%
Keep my car and keep it the way it is
23.08%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Keep my car, Magnacharge...or buy c6z06??

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 11:07 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by silversrtman
Ive been going back and forth for a while on what to do here. Figured I would get fellow Camaro owners opinions. Ill post some details about my car so you guys could so kindly give me your input.

2000 Camaro SS 6 speed ~58k miles

Engine: PRC 2.5 heads, ARP head studs, Torquer V.2, LS6 Intake, 42Lb injectors, BBK headers, ORY, Magnaflow catback, Katech tensioner, SLP lid, SSRA, Tuned by slowhawk

Drivetrain: Dana 60 4.11s with relo brackets, Chromoly DS, UMI Torque arm relo, Monster Stage 3 clutch, Tick master, speed bleeder, Pro 5.0 shifter,

Suspension: Bilsteins, Hotchkiss lowering springs, UMI adjustable torque arm, Spohn front swaybar, UMI rear sway bar, UMI SFCs, J&M shock brace, J&M lower control arms with ball bushings

Brakes: 1st Gen CTS-V front brembos, 5th Gen Powerstop rotors, Powerstop pads, rear Powerstop rotors and pads, stainless lines, linelock

Wolfe weld in 4 point roll bar (is actually a 6 point, never put in the door bars) Gforce 5 point harnesses, Corbeau Forza seats, custom seat brackets, dual locking sliders.

Wheels: 18x9.5/18x10.5 c5Z06 wheels

Lighting: Depo whistlered headlights with Projectors and HIDs retrofitted in, 4300K HIDs, LED gauges

Misc: Innovate MTX wideband, Prosport water temp gauge, Pioneer am/fm/cd player with IPOD input, Pioneer 6.5s all around (stock "subwoofers" replaced with 6.5s, rear 4x6s deleted due to roll bar)

I think that's it, there probably more but this is just off the top of my head on the fly.

So my question is: I have a chance to buy a magnacharger kit fairly cheap. Should I buy that and spend around $5k all said and done with tune and miscellaneous bs...orrrrr sell my car, save up for a year and buy a low mileage c6z06? Any input or advice is greatly appreciated.
http://shop.brutespeed.com/ATI-1TE10...-Speed-Kit.htm

If you decide to keep your Camaro, the above ProCharger kit would be a much better was to go over a maggie. The car will be capable of making a lot more power, you'll have less heat to contend with, and the installation is much easier and reversible should you ever want to put the car back to stock. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 10-22-2016, 10:51 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My vote, for a way stupid reason, is for magna charger on it. Simply because they sound incredible while pushing boost, and on an F body that is an unusual sound and wud be a blast to drive.
Old 10-25-2016, 08:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob@BruteSpeed
http://shop.brutespeed.com/ATI-1TE10...-Speed-Kit.htm

If you decide to keep your Camaro, the above ProCharger kit would be a much better was to go over a maggie. The car will be capable of making a lot more power, you'll have less heat to contend with, and the installation is much easier and reversible should you ever want to put the car back to stock. Bob
Bob, I agree with all you've stated about the procharger. Fortunately/Unfortunately I got the full Maggie kit for half of what a base procharger kit costs. If the prochargers were similar in price there are a lot of plus sides to them over the Maggie so it would have been a tough choice. Unfortunately $7k is over my price range and even the used ones seem to hold their value quite well. As far as putting the car back to stock, its already too far gone thatll never happen. Worst case ill get a new intake manifold and put it back to NA

Originally Posted by JDEP162
My vote, for a way stupid reason, is for magna charger on it. Simply because they sound incredible while pushing boost, and on an F body that is an unusual sound and wud be a blast to drive.
That's one of the things that helps my decision. I love blower whine and the instant torque. Should be crazy fun, ill probably have to put 3:55 gears in to get some driveability in lower gears.
Old 11-07-2016, 02:36 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by silversrtman
Bob, I agree with all you've stated about the procharger. Fortunately/Unfortunately I got the full Maggie kit for half of what a base procharger kit costs. If the prochargers were similar in price there are a lot of plus sides to them over the Maggie so it would have been a tough choice. Unfortunately $7k is over my price range and even the used ones seem to hold their value quite well. As far as putting the car back to stock, its already too far gone thatll never happen. Worst case ill get a new intake manifold and put it back to NA

That's one of the things that helps my decision. I love blower whine and the instant torque. Should be crazy fun, ill probably have to put 3:55 gears in to get some driveability in lower gears.
Yeah I seriously wud magna charge it. I can't help it I'm ducted to that blower styles sound. are there better more efficient kits sure, but driving enjoyment is key to me. next car I buy Will have a maggie or.tvs on it.
Old 11-23-2016, 06:11 AM
Teching In

I am in a similar situation. I have even more mods and money into my firebird. I love the car, it looks and runs great. I was also thinking of keeping it and procharging it or going with a C6Z. My brother has a stock C6Z. I dont care how much money you put into an f body it will never do what those vettes can. You can find ones in great shape for low 30s. I may keep my car, or sell it, but I am definitely getting the Z06
Old 11-27-2016, 06:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 157 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by michael rideau
I am in a similar situation. I have even more mods and money into my firebird. I love the car, it looks and runs great. I was also thinking of keeping it and procharging it or going with a C6Z. My brother has a stock C6Z. I dont care how much money you put into an f body it will never do what those vettes can. You can find ones in great shape for low 30s. I may keep my car, or sell it, but I am definitely getting the Z06
That statement is pretty inaccurate. The only time a c6 z06 will consistantly have the egde is at high speed turns and overall top speed cause of weight amd aero. General track use an fbody will be very very close to a c6 z.

Straight line with proper tires an fbody will almost always launch harder and faster. C6 are good if u want a nice super car feel, but if ur a muscle car fan, the c6 will be lacking in that muscle car feel and the extra noises and vibrations of an fbody will make for a more enjoyable experience. i drove a c5 z once......didnt push it, but just wasnt my thing. I know c5 and c6 zs are a big difference tho.

Think of an fbody as that girl 15 years ago. Seemed like getting rid of it at the time was a good idea, but now you wish you didnt. I definately want 2-3 more cars, but as of now will never drop the camaro to do it. I dont wanna go through that regret. 10 years from now there will be a lot less fbodys and a lot more vettes.
Old 11-27-2016, 07:03 PM
Teching In

More seats, don't know if this matters. Solid rear axle (a plus depending on intentions), already built up a bit with your time and effort, probably feels like "your" car, good looking, low miles, and you already have it = no money out the door.

C6Z, weeeeeell...I'm never saying no to 427 cubic inches. Get the 'vette.

Quick Reply: Keep my car, Magnacharge...or buy c6z06??