Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

2002 Z28 goes dead, no electrics.

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2016, 02:14 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2002 Z28 goes dead, no electrics.

Two weeks ago I replaced my driver's side turn signal light. The socket looked like there had been a spark no had smoke residue ( I think). I cleaned up the socket, put some electrical contact grease on it and put the new bulb in. I went to check the lights and the electrics were totally dead. The ignition wouldn't turn on for lights, ignition, nothing. I hooked my battery charger to the battery and it registered totally dead. I turned on the charger and after a few hours the battery showed that it was charged. I cranked the engine and it started with a strong crank. Everything worked. That was two weeks ago and I have been driving with lights, radio, and the gauge on the dash shows that the alternator is charging.
Today I drove to the gas station and I forgot my wallet. Drove home, got my wallet, got back in the car and turned the ignition on and nothing. I had locked my door and I couldn't unlock with the key fob. Fortunately I was n my driveway and I called my wife on my cell to get her key and let me out. I hooked up my battery charger and it showed full charge. Sounds like there may be a short somewhere. Has anyone experienced this problem and figured out the source? TIA. Bill
Old 11-12-2016, 03:34 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Update: I took the battery cables off and put the two bolts I have for side connecting batteries and hooked up the battery charger. Now it shows low charge. I think my battery is going kaput. It's at least 5 years old. I'm going to buy a new one.

Quick Reply: 2002 Z28 goes dead, no electrics.