Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

1996 Camaro SS LT4 Prototype....Anyone ever hear of this?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2016, 07:34 AM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default 1996 Camaro SS LT4 Prototype....Anyone ever hear of this?

Was doing the usual market check on the LT1 SS market and came across this. The guy claims it was (1) of (2) prototypes built by GM in preperation for the release of the (100) 1997 LT4 Camaro SS.

Assuming he would have to have extensive documentation to back this claim up, but it looks somewhat legit as it has the 1996 SS parts (Z28 Mats and Intake although I know some 97's had carryover) and 1997 SS Paint Scheme.

As stated there is nothing in his ad that proves that this just isnt a 1997 Camaro SS with carryover parts from 1996 or a 1996 Camaro that someone had painted like a 1997 Camaro SS Aniversary but would be interesting to say the least.

If it is true he is definately resonably priced as I see standard low mileage LT1 SS listed at this range all the time (lol although they never sell). I personally would pay $15k for something like that if the exclusive history is true. 1997 LT4 SS are usually listed for double that price so I am somewhat leeary to believe but I would be interested in seeing if anyone here as any more historcal knowledge than me that maybe might be able to confirm this is true.

Note: I posted this in the Specialty Edition subforum as well so sorry mods I am just trying to establish where this might get the most attention.

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/5921404645.html
Old 12-16-2016, 07:38 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

You say it was built by GM and his ad says "SLP LT-4 PROTO TYPE BUILT BY SLP IN 1996"
Old 12-16-2016, 10:58 AM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LLLosingit
You say it was built by GM and his ad says "SLP LT-4 PROTO TYPE BUILT BY SLP IN 1996"
SLP was contracted by GM to build all 1996 and 1997 SS cars. So technically built by SLP but by order of GM via contract. My apologies if that creates confusion but my area of interest wasnt necessarily where it was built but were they actually ordered to be built or is the whole story a load of BS.
Old 12-16-2016, 11:19 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,059 Posts

That car looks rough for 17k miles and supposedly being so collectible. Several items both inside and out are not consistent with such low mileage, unless someone was quite rough with it over those few miles. The driver's seat, carpet and threshold trim look like a 80k+ mile car, and the exterior door moldings and that massive damage to the passenger side rocker panel indicate a car that was not well cared for. Lots of other blemishes are also visible.

I've never heard of a '96 prototype LT4, but that's not to say it's impossible by any means. As mentioned above (and in the ad), this would have been an SLP prototype though, not GM, as all the LT4 cars left GM with a "P" in the VIN and an SPID sticker that called for an LT1. The conversion was done by SLP.

I wouldn't pay anything more for it than a normal LT1 SS unless he had some documentation to prove it (or, if he gives you the VIN, you could try contacting SLP yourself and see if the story can be verified.) Also, with the VIN number you can determine for sure if it's a '96 or '97.

I don't know why he lists the condition as "excellent". That is far from the truth, based on those pictures. I've seen nicer examples with 60k miles or more.

In reading the ad again, it seems to suggest that perhaps the interior was removed during it's time as a race vehicle (that would also explain the aftermarket steering wheel.) If so, it would have been easy enough top swap in a '96 interior from another car (and that would also explain the interior condition.) I guess all the racing use must be responsible for the blemishes and damage. And why does the engine have only 7k miles on a 17k mile car? Is it even still an LT4? Or perhaps it's one now, but wasn't before.

Too many questions and condition issues to pay that kind of money without comprehensive documentation. Even then, not sure its current condition and usage history warrants a price premium on the general collector market.

Quick Reply: 1996 Camaro SS LT4 Prototype....Anyone ever hear of this?