Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

02 Camaro Horn power issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 07:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 Camaro Horn power issues

Hi so I was fixing my horn on my 2002 Chevy Camaro v6 and air bag and by accident I touched the positive wire with the ground wire I seen a little smoke *** the plastic around the wire got a little melty and hot now I don't have any power coming to my horn I check the fuse and it wasn't blown and ideas what it could be?
Old 02-20-2017, 10:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The horn circuit is powered from the Underhood Electrical Center #1. If the fuse is OK, check the relay next to it to make sure the coil or contacts haven't been damaged.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Horns.pdf (143.9 KB, 116 views)
Old 02-22-2017, 04:15 PM
Teching In

So after checking my horn the relay works I get power from under the hood relay to the steering wheel column but from the column to the steering wheel I have no power. I ran a direct positive wire from the relay outside of the car to the steering wheel and the horn works
Old 02-22-2017, 08:19 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Rodney Mccullough
So after checking my horn the relay works I get power from under the hood relay to the steering wheel column but from the column to the steering wheel I have no power. I ran a direct positive wire from the relay outside of the car to the steering wheel and the horn works
What were the points of contact at the relay and column you used to energize the horn with the jumper? The horn circuit (black wire) does not take 12V to the column, it provides a path to ground to energize the coil of the relay. If black wire carried 12V, it would be a direct short to ground when either horn switch was pressed. Take a look at schematic, notice how one side of the contacts for the horn switches in the wheel are connected to ground.

Check to see if you have continuity between the horn relay and the steering column on the black wire. Also check to see if there is continuity to ground at both ends of the black wire. Need to know the wire was not damaged when you touched it with the ground.

Last edited by peterpar; 02-22-2017 at 08:24 PM.
Old 02-22-2017, 08:42 PM
Teching In

Yes I didn't use power I used a continuity tester to test the wire from the relay to the steering wheel column the from the black wire on the steering wheel column to the steering wheel it was good up until I got to the steering wheel column to the steering wheel
Old 02-22-2017, 09:01 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Rodney Mccullough
Yes I didn't use power I used a continuity tester to test the wire from the relay to the steering wheel column the from the black wire on the steering wheel column to the steering wheel it was good up until I got to the steering wheel column to the steering wheel
Am I understanding correctly, you have continuity on the black wire up to the slip ring of the steering wheel? If so, check the contact surfaces of the slip ring and continuity of the wiring going to the horn switches. Also check continuity to ground at the slip ring when one of the horn switches are pressed.

Quick Reply: 02 Camaro Horn power issues