Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

01 ss camaro lq9 swap oppinions needed please

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2005, 04:00 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 ss camaro lq9 swap oppinions needed please

my wife and i are having a dissagreement...i have an 01 ss with a cracked block..and i am wanting to put a 6.0l iron lq9 escalade block in the car with all the camaro ss goodies...the ls6 intake..the camaro heads and comp cam and springs and ss crank...if i were to put this block in the vehicle would it deminish the value of the vehicle if it was a bad *** motor like im being told it is.....im told its suppoesed to be the same dimentions and everything...other then heavier....

please email me and lemme know what you think....she said that if enough camaro enthousiasts thought that it was a good idea then she would have no problem with it...
lemme know what you think

tye698@earthlink.net
Old 01-05-2005, 05:45 PM
Staging Lane

tttttt
Old 01-05-2005, 09:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

[QUOTE=tye698]my wife and i are having a dissagreement...i have an 01 ss with a cracked block..and i am wanting to put a 6.0l iron lq9 escalade block in the car with all the camaro ss goodies...the ls6 intake..the camaro heads and comp cam and springs and ss crank...if i were to put this block in the vehicle would it deminish the value of the vehicle if it was a bad *** motor like im being told it is.....im told its suppoesed to be the same dimentions and everything...other then heavier....

please email me and lemme know what you think....she said that if enough camaro enthousiasts thought that it was a good idea then she would have no problem with it...
lemme know what you think

Several points to make:

1) The LQ9 block is a helluva deal if put together right. Personally, I have thought of using the SLP set-up (high compression: http://www.slponline.com/view_product.asp?P=12400 ) w/ a decent sized cam. They come decently assembled. Use a good double-roller timing chain. You already have a "ported" oil pump ('01-'02 flow much better than earlier). Ported heads (Port your stock ones or swap) would be suggested. Stronger, aftermarket springs and pushrods.

2) You already have the LS6 Intake as you have an '01.

3) I would use the BMR "K" memeber and upr & lwr "A" arms to negate the weight increase.

4) Diminish the value? Sorry. Too late. The only way a 4th gen F-bod would maintain anything would be if you (a) didn't ever drive it, (b) didn't let it rot or rust (maintain to high standard), and (c) let 30-40 years go by. Even this is no guarantee as cars are getting stronger, faster and the build quality is getting higher.

5) Add it all up and the LQ9 sounds like a reasonable response.
Old 01-06-2005, 07:03 AM
Staging Lane

all true points...thanks your hellping me alot...maybe sheel beleive me and stop yellin at me..lol
but my question about diminishing the value is in reletive to resale as related to kelly blue book...would a perspective buyer be less turned on by my car and offer me less becuase it has a iron motor and not a aluminum one....
im building this to sell it i need the money...and i figued that the iron block being cheeper about 350 bucks intsead of about 800 for the aluminum....would be the quickest way for me to get it done financially
Old 01-06-2005, 11:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by tye698
all true points...thanks your hellping me alot...maybe sheel beleive me and stop yellin at me..lol
but my question about diminishing the value is in reletive to resale as related to kelly blue book...would a perspective buyer be less turned on by my car and offer me less becuase it has a iron motor and not a aluminum one....
im building this to sell it i need the money...and i figued that the iron block being cheeper about 350 bucks intsead of about 800 for the aluminum....would be the quickest way for me to get it done financially
Yes, a prospective buyer would be put off. Just finded a wrecked LS1, yard the motor out & swap.

Just buying a block and rebuilding/reassembling is knowledge/time/labor/$$-intensive
Old 01-06-2005, 11:54 AM
Staging Lane

Have All The Time/labor/some$$$enough N E Ways And Between Me And My 3 Othr Mechanic Friends And My 2 Books On Building Ls1's We Should Be Able To Spenbd Less Thern Just Yanknin A Moter

Quick Reply: 01 ss camaro lq9 swap oppinions needed please