Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Help, car shutting off?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2005, 09:05 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help, car shutting off?

I have a question, hopefully someone can help me. In the morning when i go outside and turn on my car to warm it up, it will start up fine but after a few minutes, it just completely shuts off! When im driving and come up to a red light or a stop sign, sometimes it also turns off. What the hell is going on, can anybody tell me?
Old 04-03-2005, 03:22 PM
Deranged Rat Fink

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What year car? I ran across a similiar problem before and it was a simple fix.
Old 04-04-2005, 06:31 AM
Teching In

Juju, what was your fix? I had a smiliar problem too, but it would stall when I would stop the car at a light or put it in reverse. No amount of timing adjustments or fuel/air adjustments seemed to fix it, so I rebuilt the whole motor and replaced everything, including the wiring harness!! I am still curious what you found...
Old 04-04-2005, 07:45 AM
Deranged Rat Fink

What I ran into on a '95 Z was he had installed an amplifier in his car and used the the junction block behind the battery as the power source. Problem was, he tightened the post down in the block by hand , checked his sound system, got excited and never finished tightening it. It would go dead running and wouldn't restart for a little while. In essence , it wasn't making good contact and was shutting off due to the fact it wasn't getting the proper voltage even with it running because that's where all the fusible links and the alternator's output linked up. In this case, that very well could be the problem OR a loose ground would do the same thing. Loose grounds have made cars do things you'd never guess that the problem was until you found that. You have to have both power and ground to allow any circuit in a car to operate properly. Electricity will find the path of least resistance (ohms) and will use it to complete a circuit. Check over all the grounds and that junction block , I'll bet you find something non-kosher there.
Old 04-04-2005, 07:50 AM
Teching In

That is a really good point, on my 92 Z I had an electrical problem that was driving me crazy... the battery would go dead overnight (an Optima Red!) and it took me a few days tracing down this "dark" current until I found a loose wire under the dash... fun with electricity!
Old 04-04-2005, 08:01 AM
Deranged Rat Fink

Exactly, I've seen loose grounds do crazy stuff . Here's a good example: I installed an alarm in a fresh-off- the lot Ford F150 truck. The thing had like 10 miles on it. When you armed the alarm , the parking lights would flash , and the guages would go nuts! . After a little investigation, I found the main ground just hanging in midair behind the right kickpanel. The hole was prethreaded but still had paint on it and the ground was never secured. Grounded the puppy and the problem went away. The dash lights could not find a direct ground so they went for the path of least resistance , i.e. the guages. Now if you were looking at that , you might have wanted to call a priest for an excorcism ! It just goes to show that the simplest things are the most often overlooked.
Old 04-04-2005, 10:35 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Need to know what sort of mechanical mods you might
have made that can affect idle. A lighter torque converter
will do this kind of thing (did to me) and required raising
the idle RPM and airflow to settle it down. Over-rich idle
mixture targets or mis-trimming (like from crusty O2s or
headers) can also make the idle unstable once you hit
closed loop (your cut-at-warmup).

Put your mod list in your .sig line and it will give people
more of a clue.
Old 04-06-2005, 02:39 PM
Teching In

I have a 2000 z28, it's pretty much stock with a borla exhaust, this problem just started about 2 weeks ago and its driving me nutz, i dont haven't really done much to it. It seems to me like it the engine is not getting enough gas into it and thats what causes this issue to happen, have any of you had this problem?

Quick Reply: Help, car shutting off?