Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

How to determine if '69 Camaro is a true SS??

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2005, 07:06 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How to determine if '69 Camaro is a true SS??

I am looking at a '69 SS with a 350 and 12-bolt rear with 3.55 gears. The individual selling the car states that it is a true X-11 Code car. The vin number is 124379N683626. What does code X-11 mean? How can I determine if this is a true SS or a clone? I am going to ask him for the trim tag and will post it when I get it to see if that will help. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 04-16-2005, 08:10 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

The VIN# shows it is an original V8 car, but X11 cars are not guaranteed to be true SS cars. The X11 package was a style trim package that was optional on all Camaros that year. Basically, it was the chrome fender trim, chrome rain gutter, side vent emblems, and rocker panel trim. Just an appearance package.

Whenever an SS-350 was ordered with this appearance package, it would lose it's X55 code and become an X11 code. But, the same thing would happen if a 6-cylinder Camaro was ordered with the X11 package.

To determine if an X11 is a true SS, it would have a factory 12-bolt rearend, quick ratio steering gearbox, front disc brakes, and dual exhaust. Those were standard items on the SS package.

X55 is a guaranteed SS350 (no X11 appearance package)
X11 is a "maybe" SS with appearance package
X22 is a SS-396 with the X11 appearance package
X66 is a SS-396 without the X11 appearance package

http://www.camaro1stgeneration.com/c...en/xcodes.html
Old 04-18-2005, 06:02 PM
Staging Lane

Hello,

I got the trim code from the dealer selling the car. It is as follows:

Vin # = 124379N683626 = Camaro, 8 cyl, 2 dr, Sport Coupe, unit number 683626, built in Norwood, OH.

Trim Tag = ST69 12437 = Std Camaro Coupe
NOR = Norwood, OH
113649 BDY (not sure about this code, need to call back, might be BTY)
TR 715 = Standard Dark Blue Buckets
53B PNT = Glacier Blue, Black Vinyl Top
09A = September, first week, 1969
X-11 = Chrome fender trim/rain gutter, Side vent emblems, Rocker panel trim

Judging by the pics of the car, everything is there, based on the Trim Tag. I don't know what the 113649 BDY or BTY means though. Not even sure if I got the write number, so I am going to call back tomorrow and double check all of the numbers. Looking at your site, I don't see what this number would mean anyways. Your example is 142369, but I don't see a decoding of this number. What is it supposed to represent, any idea what the one I have above would mean? I am also going to ask for the Engine code and Rear Axle identification code. You also stated in your response on LS1 Tech that if the car was a true SS it would have a factory 12-bolt rear end, quick ratio steering gearbox, front disc brakes, and dual exhaust. The person selling the car states that it has a 12-bolt rear end with 3.55 gears, doesn't think it has front disc brakes, and has no idea if it has a quick ratio steering gearbox (it's a dealership). But, the car has dual exhaust and SS emblems on the front grill, rear end (black panel with white SS emblems), and both front panels (right behind the two front tires under the Camaro lettering). It also has the 350 emblems in front of the two front tires as well. If you could let me know if I have decoded this car correctly and offer some more assistance with the 113649 BDY or BTY, I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance!

Mike
Old 04-18-2005, 10:12 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

113469 is a build sequence number, used for manufacturing to label the cars. Every car will have a different number there, increasing as they built the cars.

You have decoded the cowl tag just fine, but there is nothing on that cowl tag that can tell you if it is an authentic SS or not. This is because the X11 code.

You can't really judge by dual exhaust either, since TONS of people added that later on. Just like we modify our 4th gens today. The main thing that would stand out is if it has front disk brakes. Rarely did anyone get rid of the front disk brake setup, unless the vehicle might have been wrecked and they stuck a subframe from another 69 into the car at one point in its life.

Without the factory 12-bolt, front disk brakes, and quick ratio steering, it would be nearly impossible to say if it is a real SS or not. But, it would also be equally impossible to prove that it wasn't. You could always locate the factory stuff and restore the car to SS specs if you wish.

Emblems don't mean anything either, tons of clones have all the right emblems.

My own car was the complete opposite. It had the wrong rearend (10-bolt), it had the wrong brakes (drums up front), but it had the cowl tag X55 code that matched the VIN build sequence, and also had the quick ratio gearbox. So, somewhere along the line they probably parted the car out, and then slapped the drums and axle onto the car. But, the X55 code guarantees it is an SS-350.

Tony
Old 04-19-2005, 08:42 AM
Staging Lane

How do you determine if the car has the quick ratio steering gearbox? The dealer didn't know. He has stated that it has a 12-bolt with 3.55 gears. Thanks!
Old 04-19-2005, 10:20 AM
On The Tree

All SS's had front disc brakes. Black rear panel was only on the 396 cars. SS's also had a black grille, were all others had a silver grille. Hope this helps.
Old 04-19-2005, 11:28 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

If I remember correctly, the quick ratio steering goes from lock to lock (all the way left, to all the way right) in 2.5 turns. The non-quick one does it in 3.5 turns?
Old 04-20-2005, 12:09 AM
ACW
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ratio info on a variety of steering configurations: http://www.67camaros.com/tech/steering.htm

and http://www.67camaros.com/my67/subframe/ says "With the HD Center Link, a Quick Ratio Steering Box, and the right pitman arm, I should have the fastest available steering ratio, in the area of 2.6:1 turns lock to lock. Much better then the stock 3.5:1 ratio."

Last edited by ACW; 04-25-2005 at 10:37 PM.
Old 04-20-2005, 07:30 PM
7 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

correct on the ratio, stock was 3-1/2 to 4-1/4 turns, while the fast ratio was around 2-1/2-3. Keep in mind 1969 was the first year requiring disc brakes on SS Camaros, unlike 1967-68. Single piston calipers and agreed on the black grille only (silver was for standards, copos, and z/28's although some z/28's has factory black grilles, but not many).

Derek
Old 04-23-2005, 03:29 PM
Banned

If you are looking for a true ss look for the original exhaust hangers. They should be welded up.

X-11 codes are tricky. I bought one 3 years ago and you just NEVER know.

How do you know the owner didnt put in the 12 bolt, the dual exhaust and front disks?

I had the 10 bolt which supposedly the 12 bolt blew and the previous owner decided to just put a 10 bolt in (whatever).. and I had true duals, and front disks.. can I say it was a true SS? Nope.

Get yourself an X-55 and dont worry.

x-11 is a gamble for you NOW, and when you go to resell it, it will be a HARD SELL.

I sold mine for 14 grand in very good condition.
Old 04-28-2005, 06:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

cant you give Chevy historical services the VIN Number and then they tell you if it was an original SS car?
Old 05-09-2005, 02:20 AM
TECH Regular

this is an old post but i have some good info to add. The small block SS cars had TWO fuel lines on the inside of the passenger side frame rail. if the car only has one then it is NOT a SS car. also look in the drivers rear fender well. at the 1 o'clock position there should be a 2"x5" piece of metal welded to the frame rail. this was the dual exhaust hanger. also the car would be a 4 speed standard. that means the speedometer cable hole is on the passenger side of the steering column in the engine bay. i hope this helps some.
chris

Quick Reply: How to determine if '69 Camaro is a true SS??