Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Hooker Super Competition Cat-Back Exhaust System on 91 RS?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2005, 06:44 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hooker Super Competition Cat-Back Exhaust System on 91 RS?

hey guys havent posted here in awhile I was over at thirdgen.org

Anyways, I am trying to get some opinions from some of my fellow thirdgens here. I have a 91 Camaro RS 305 TBI LO3 all stock. Now I am within a few weeks time planning on getting a catback system...

Ultimately I have strayed off from getting a catback, and getting something like just a plain old magnaflow muffler, but the cost adds up to that of a catback so I just might as well as get that.

Anyway, let me strut my stuff, I wanna get the Hooker catback and the part number to it is HOK-16820HKR on www.summitracing.com I want the hookers because they make the car truly sound loud and I love the way they sound, I was just gonna get a plain old magnaflow exhaust but decided not to, it may be cheaper to do a magnaflow muffler installation then the entire catback and I may still change my mind...

Anyway, would the Hookers sound good on my car, you know it being all stock, I want it to sound mean and aggressive at idle and absolutely terrifying at wide open throttle...please help me out guys thanks...

btw, stupid question too but whats the difference between a catback and just a regular muffler?
Old 09-16-2005, 02:20 AM
On The Tree

Yo, hooker is not what you want I think. Thier quiet unless at WOT. Theres other people that will back me up on this.
Old 09-16-2005, 02:21 AM
On The Tree

Get a cutout, less money than hooker and available at the flick of a switch.
Old 09-17-2005, 12:49 AM
ACW
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 91ChevyRS
btw, stupid question too but whats the difference between a catback and just a regular muffler?
http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/30482/
"For those not familiar with the term, a cat-back exhaust system is everything located behind the catalytic converter, usually consisting of tubing and the muffler."
Old 09-17-2005, 04:19 AM
Deranged Rat Fink

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quiet can be good . A constant drone can be quite annoying , but a nice roar at wide open is always nice. For the money , a Hooker cat-back is pretty decent.
Old 09-18-2005, 06:03 PM
Staging Lane

I have a '92 RS with the "E" motor also. I run stock exhaust with a Flowmaster muffler. It sounds good at idle and makes some noise when I run it through the gears. Bottom line I can still hear the Radio/CD player at 75 MPH on the Interstate. If you go with a full system with headers please post your impressions as I have considered going that route myself.
Old 09-22-2005, 10:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

My cousin has a hooker on his 3rd gen formula w/ headers and it sounds awesome. Hooker definately isn't the loudest exhaust, but it is one of the best sounding IMO. If you have headers it really makes a difference in the sound. I have a hooker on my car and it was pretty quiet unless I was at WOT, but once I put the longtubes on it was like night and day. I got tons of compliments on the sound, I kind of wish I hadn't sold them.

Quick Reply: Hooker Super Competition Cat-Back Exhaust System on 91 RS?