Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2005, 09:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm reall suprised this hasn't been posted yet. News on the NEW Camaro

Source Edmunds: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/d...rticleId=108247
Chevrolet Show Car to Have "Zeta Light" Platform
Date Posted 11-29-2005

DETROIT — The sports car prototype that Chevrolet will unveil in January at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit will ride on General Motors' Zeta Light architecture and is almost certain to have a Corvette engine. GM would love to have a rear-wheel-drive coupe or 2+2 vehicle to challenge the Ford Mustang and forthcoming Dodge Challenger, and the prototype will show how GM thinks it should handle the matter. GM would also like its Mustang fighter to arrive as soon as possible.

Media are reporting that GM will call the prototype "Camaro," but supplier sources familiar with the automaker's plans say the vehicle might instead resurrect the Chevelle nameplate.

"All the magazines are assuming they're going to copy the '69 Camaro, and I think that's highly likely," a well-placed source told Inside Line. "But there's also a chance they could copy the '70 Chevelle, in which case they'll call it Chevelle."

Much of the naming issue also depends on the status of GM's agreement with the city of Sainte-Thérèse, Quebec, where the company used to build Camaros and Firebirds. GM agreed not to use the names Camaro and Firebird for a period of time following the discontinuation of those models.

But whatever its name, a rear-drive Chevy coupe off the Zeta Light platform is a done deal. Supplier sources say the first two Zeta Light offerings will be a sedan and a coupe, both from Chevrolet. The Zeta Light architecture is a version of GM's Zeta architecture, modified to take out cost and accommodate longer wheelbases. GM would price the Chevy coupe closer to the Mustang than the Corvette, giving it (most likely) a Corvette engine but leaving out the kind of sophisticated performance systems and upscale interior the Vette has.

What this means to you: If you're a muscle car fan, get excited: the field is about to get bigger.

It can't get here soon enough
Old 12-02-2005, 10:29 AM
On The Tree

Good news. I REALLY hope its a Camaro!
Old 12-02-2005, 10:41 AM
Launching!

It has...

posted on Thursday, November 03, 2005 9:50 AM
Six months after General Motors halted plans to use its Zeta rear-wheel-drive car architecture in North America, the company has revived the program.

In an interview with Automotive News last week, Jim Queen, GM's vice president of global engineering, said a revised version of Zeta is back on track.

Engineered at GM's Holden subsidiary in Australia, Zeta was expected to be the basis of the next-generation Pontiac Grand Prix and GTO; the Chevrolet Impala, Monte Carlo and a new version of the Camaro; and other vehicles. Vehicles in the program were expected to debut as early as 2006.
Full Story Here: http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=103159

Old 12-02-2005, 10:57 AM
12 Second Club

Old news...and nothing that hasn't already been published several times in varying iterations. I'll be there for the press intro of it on January 9th, along with 248 other specially invited Camaro enthuisasts. It's gonna be a Camaro in production, whether or not the concept car really uses that name will have to be seen because of the St Therese agreement(which I believe expires in 2007). If I have a computer to use at the show I'll be posting pictures here or at least when I get home sometime late that night.
Old 12-02-2005, 08:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hope it's not a Camaro that looks like it should be called a Chevelle--or vice versa...
Old 12-03-2005, 12:17 AM
12 Second Club

i hope it has the ls7 motor in it, like the ss model has the ls7, and the z28 model has the ls2
Old 12-03-2005, 03:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I doubt that there will be an LS7 in a Camaro, but it is possible I suppose. Perhaps a $35K+ SS to compete with the Mustang Cobra and help keep the Corvette from being compared to the Mustang? I just don't see how you can have a Camaro that would obliterate a C6.

An LS2 making 400+ horespower seems the most likely base engine for a Z28 in my opinion.
Old 12-03-2005, 01:15 PM
12 Second Club

I HIGHTLY doubt GM will allow the Camaro to have more HP than the Vette. Only the 1st gen Camaros ever had more HP than the Vette and since then GM has kept the Vette as the "halo" car with the highest HP and performance. I'm really suprised the GTO got the full 400HP LS2. I'm guessing the Camaro will have at least that and maybe 450-475 on the SS model, IF they keep the SS as the most powerful model. There has been talk on other boards of bringing the Z28 back as the top level model and the SS being the lower level V8 model. Just over a month and hopefully we'll know all the details!

Quick Reply: I'm reall suprised this hasn't been posted yet. News on the NEW Camaro