Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

This is sad..

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2006, 10:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This is sad..

I just had this argument on a myspace group with this kid that has a v6 camaro looking to turbo it to get it to run around the same speed as a stock ls1. not really hating on that, if that's how he wants to spend his money then ok its his money, but he really needs to learn some stats before making claims like this.

Me:there is no difference between the ls1 in the c5 vettes and the ls1 in the camaro's and trans ams, yet somehow, the vettes make 25-35 more hp from the factory. how? chevy did this for marketing reasons. the engines dont actually make more power

Him:Yes stats do lie but actually the corvette does produce more power because of intake routing and such other small things. But that is very easily overcome, and the computer has different programming. They did that to just keep them apart, becuase with equal motors a f-body is faster than a vette. I was just up dyno'ing my car and we had a factory ls1 vette and ls1 camaro ss show up, vette did score higher, with a higher top speed also on the dyno.

Me:i dont know how u can say that an fbody is faster when a vette weighs 300lbs less than a fbody lol. it takes more motor to get a fbody moving than a vette.. and the intake routing is good for ~5hp if that. and as far as i know, the computers on the vette and 98+ fbodys are the same.

Him:The F-body has a higher gear ratio, 3:23, 3:42, and 3:73s where at the corvette has 4:10s. Thats the main and only reason.

I didn't say it was a ton of difference. I think they came out on the dyno both factory and with about 50k miles on each motor. Just about 15 hp difference.

Me:i hope i dont sound too much like an a-hole, but where are you getting this info? the gearing in those cars is almost exactly the same. ALL manual fbodys and vettes came with 3.42's standard, as for the auto's, fbodys came standard with 2.73's and optional 3.23's. Vettes came with 3.15's optional instead of 3.23's the 3.73's and 4.10's were never ever ever offered from the factory for either car. and just to clarify, lower gear ratios actually make you accelerate faster. i'm not saying the camaro wont dyno a few hp higher, because with a live axle instead of independent rear, they tend not to lose as much power through the drive train. autos also lose more power through the drive train than manuals do. if the camaro was a manual trans and the vette was an auto trans, i could definintely see the 15hp difference. this however does not mean the camaro will be faster than the vette. 300lbs is quite a bit of weight when you're racing. i gained one tenth in the 1/8th just by taking out my spare tire/jack and sub box lol.

Him:Well ya 300lbs is about 30hp, I am going off some info a few years back here on the Vette's on the gearing also. When the 4:10 was the standard in it. I don't keep up too much on the new ones, as I really don't like them that much. All the respect in the world for the Vette, just not my car, too tight I think.

I love how he cant just say well maybe i'm wrong, he tries to change the subject, and is STILL WRONG! I cant believe people can spout out information about something they know very very little about. I was told a few weeks ago by a coworker that vettes had 10 and 12 cyl engines.. later on, i had to explain to her what a cylinder was
Old 07-04-2006, 10:32 PM
TECH Addict

I never heard of a corvette coming with 4.10s from the factory either lol, that kid doesnt research the right stuff. And 30 HP just by dropping 300# i dont see happening, the car might accelerate quicker but it wont gain 30 HP just from that. It prolly best he stick with the V6 camaro b/c he dont know **** about the LS1 engine.
Old 07-04-2006, 11:56 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Sunset'01Z
I just had this argument on a myspace group with this kid
Yea, I stopped reading after this...
Old 07-05-2006, 08:32 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Smoke Panther
Old 07-05-2006, 11:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Old 07-05-2006, 12:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I found it funny
Old 07-05-2006, 01:15 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

LMAO!!! I was about to post the exact same thing and I scrolled down and saw you did already.
Old 07-05-2006, 03:25 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
LMAO!!! I was about to post the exact same thing and I scrolled down and saw you did already.

I was gonna say what is more sad? That there was some sort of issue about someone and their V6 (I didn't read the entire "argument"), or that you had an argument on myspace. Very silly.
Old 07-05-2006, 03:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

seriously myspace. come on. i think both your info is flawed.
Old 07-05-2006, 08:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

AHAHAH

I honestly did the same too

Quick Reply: This is sad..