Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Exhaust on a 68 6cyl camaro

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 08:25 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Exhaust on a 68 6cyl camaro

My dad has a 68 camaro that is basically stock he has had all his life, he doen't have the money or time to restore it right now and put the big motor in it, it is in really good shape and i wanted to give him an exhaust system so that it actually sounds good to, and people might think it has a v8 in it until he restores it, my question is, does anyone know where i can get one, or what muffler to get and i can take it to a exhaust shop and have them put it on with some new pipes, i am not looking for performance at all, just a good sound. any help would be great.
Old 02-12-2007, 09:56 AM
On The Tree

I put Hooker Aerochambers mufflers (2.5" in/out), bought them from Summit Racing (about $40-45 a piece). They flow and sound quite well. My local exhaust shop installed them. Your dad's exhaust is probably 2" or smaller? In my opinion, it is a waste of money to buy them now, since you will have to go from one size pipe to another. Just wait till he gets v8 with headers, then pick the right exhaust pipe size, put the x or h-pipe.

But if you still want it - get "cherry bomb" mufflers, they are loud, cheap and will sound like he has a rocket engine under his hood. Oh, and every kid on the block will want to race his Camaro to add to their 'kill' stories.
Old 02-12-2007, 05:46 PM
Teching In

awsome i might look into those, how much did the place charge to do it, i want it to have dual tail pipes unless it cost a lot, my dad is an old school guy and wouldn't want it too loud, the cherry bombs are defanetly out! I like the sould of the flowmasters, i had a v6 camaro as my first car with a set on there, does anyone know which one to get or does it matter, i am not to familiar too much with mufflers, i have always just bought the cat back systems.
Old 02-15-2007, 10:45 AM
On The Tree

I brought the car over to the shop with headers only installed (fun driving through downtown). The exhaust shop charged me $90 to install and weld the x-pipe, reducers from headers to 2 1/2" pipes, 2 mufflers. I asked them to do cut-outs by the axle. The whole thing is very solid, with no vibrations or leaks. The welds were clean.

Go to flowmasters web site (http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/) or talk to a mechanic at the exhaust shop. I am sure you will find something you'd like.
Old 02-16-2007, 11:28 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You might check out what Clifford (if they are still around)
has for I6 headers.
Old 02-18-2007, 04:25 AM
On The Tree

Hooker Aerochambers/Cherry bombs like previously said.

You could, however, run open headers like my friend did on his 66 chevy truck with a 6 banger...lol, sounded good for a 6.
Old 02-18-2007, 09:21 AM
Teching In

well he doesn't like it to be loud, he wouldn't like how loud my car was if it was his to drive, but i don't think its loud enough. thanks for the help guys
Old 02-19-2007, 12:36 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by jimmyblue
You might check out what Clifford (if they are still around)
has for I6 headers.
X2. here is the link to Clifford Performance: http://cliffordperformance.net/ Knew this guy with a 63 Ford Ranchero (Falcon truck type) with a 300" big truck inline 6 with Clifford Performance parts used for everything. It ran consistant high 12 quarter mile times.

Quick Reply: Exhaust on a 68 6cyl camaro